Knoxville Halls offseason discussion

fairplay2121

The Red Devils finished runner-up in a tough region. Where do we go from here?

The Big Concerns

1. The coaches - Who returns and who moves on? I hope all return. But success usually allows for some to move on up.

2. The offense - The offense was better but loses 5-6 starters. They lose the best rusher, the best receiver and both FBs. The center and two other regulars are also gone from the O-line.

3. The defense - The defense loses 5 starters. We lose one in the secondary. Three regulars graduate up front. (#33, #56, #73) One LB is gone but the rest are back.

Who do you all see emerging next fall to fill in?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying not to be controversial. My humble opinion only on how I view the upcoming year.

Halls can be a better team this next year. Because even though we lose our top two producers on offense and excellent linemen. We have some tremendous talent coming up and with experience. Also many Region teams lose more than we do in their starting lineup. Witness Central, West & Maryville's losses. So this should bode well.

I personally don't believe we overacheived this year. I think Halls had one of the best teams in the last ten years. When I say team I mean team. The had heart and would never admit defeat. It was hard for me to see these players lose and weep big tears after the Red Bank game. You can't coach that it's a major intangible that makes them winners. Good job on a great year. Four losses this year and to excellent programs except for the blip against Central. Just think we lost to #1 Maryville, #2 Red Bank in 4A & Bearden who have been in the top five in 5A all year. Here is some infomation on how Halls has done in recent memory backing up my ascendancy for this program this year. http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_knoxhalls2000.htm

Now for the future losing Qualls would be huge. But in reality that is a no brainer for him to move on to a better postion so everyone should understand that and congratulate him on a job well done for us. While this will be a tough one to swallow we still have a excellent staff led by Julian & Ward.

Now this is were you going to be mad at me. But just my humble observation on perhaps our shortcomings this year and what we may need to do to strengthen for next year. Another disclaimer here is I don't claim to be a great football guru or coach just a big fan. I'm sure the coaching staff is well aware of what I am going to say and nothing most people haven't been talking about already.

My main concern isn't the offense going forward its the defense. We struggle with running QB's McMillian, Halliday & that Cleveland QB running for 200 yards plus. We lost two out of three of those games. Pass defense our Outside linebackers can't keep up with a spread offense that most teams are utilizing. We lost two more from these mismatches. Witness the Red Bank, South Doyle, Maryville and second half of the Clinton game. We lose a shut down corner. Teams tended to throw to other side from him and we allowed to many big plays that resulted in some tough results. I think we had a very good run defense except for the picking up of the QB. I think our problem at the moment is programs are utilizing the passing game more and we are being more exposed with a athletic QB. I have complete confidence that we will work hard to improve in these areas. If we are effective by solidifing this the skys the limit for this program. Everyone knows you win championships with a good defense.

Offense we should have a strong OL again. I really think Turner will have heathly competition with Dowdy who impressed when called upon. I think we will like what we see running the ball. Waggoner, McGill, Gibson, Pixley, etc.

We may not be locked into one back this year. Receiving will have experience with Johnson, Gresham and look out for Noblin a transfer from Catholic. I feel we will keep scoring points on the offensive side of the ball.

My early predictions 8-4 or 9-4. I think we will match and perhaps exceed this years playoff run. We have a good thing going now and with a strong JV and Freshman group this year we should be good for the near future.

My biggest boldest prediction. Halls will not only beat Central this year but will finally put the hurting on them. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

littlemn,

To my knowledge, the coaching position at Gibbs has not been filled yet. I don't even know if they have started taking applications. Any talk is just that...talk. I am sure Qualls and many coaches are considering their options as this season ends. It would be interesting to see if Gibbs gets two coaches in a row that are Halls grads. My understanding is that Qualls grew up in Gibbs and has plenty of family and friends there. I would be surprised if Gibbs moves very fast in filling the position, but I am sure a new coach would love to get in there and get things going as soon as possible.

ZCAR,

I couldn't agree with you more. The defense is a huge concern. I might make some people mad, but I think we need some help at LB, particularly outside the tackles. Hodge made plenty of tackles, it just that usually it was 6 or more yards down field.

How many freshmen do you guys see getting to play as sophamores? O'Laughlin is the best athlete but we are stocked up at RB. Maybe he will get a look at LB. He likes to hit and he has good speed. With two pretty good classes ahead of them, it should be tougher for this group to find places to play. That is a good thing, I guess.

I don't think Qualls will get the Gibbs job. Nothing against him but what in his background, shows that he can coordinate an entire program. Yes, he lived in Gibbs and his brother played there, but that does not mean he will get hired there.

If that is what he wants, then best of luck to him.

My two cents:

- Fairplay - Are you serious?? I normally agree with you, but to call out Hodge at MLB?? Who do you think was our best defensive player this year?? My pick was Hodge, hands down. You said his tackles were "six yards down the field" (I disagree), but if so where was everyone else?? We had a two MLB two OLB system, so where were the other LB's(and no, Hodge is not my son!)

- I felt our LB's were the strength of the defense. Our Dline was weak (don't remember many big plays against good teams) and so was our DB's. Linebakers saved this team in big games all year. Did you see our 2006 team. Good teams ran it down our throats and MLB's didn't slow them down.

- Next year's group of LBs will be the best this school has had in a LONG time! Here is what I see coming back on defense:

DBs - Three (Johnson, Turner, Gresham)

LBs - Three (Hodge, McGill, Waggoner)

Line - Two (Leonard, Laddish)

Eight returning starters off an 8-4 team. Look for this group to improve with a years experience.

I think Qualls worked with the defensive backs.

I think we will have a good team and will stack up well in our region. West loses nearly everyone. Maryville loses a lot. I think Central will have to regroup and if we don't beat them this year at home we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Heres my next years playoff prediction. I think we will finish 2nd but no worse than fourth.

Maryville

Halls

Powell

Clinton or South Doyle

West and Central fall hard. Lenoir City still a couple of years away.

The team that actually scares me the most is Powell. They have come along way very fast and gave Red Bank a shock. I expect Clinton to give us a tough game just like this year. They have everyone coming back and a explosive offense.

My two cents:

- Fairplay - Are you serious?? I normally agree with you, but to call out Hodge at MLB?? Who do you think was our best defensive player this year?? My pick was Hodge, hands down. You said his tackles were "six yards down the field" (I disagree), but if so where was everyone else?? We had a two MLB two OLB system, so where were the other LB's(and no, Hodge is not my son!)

- I felt our LB's were the strength of the defense. Our Dline was weak (don't remember many big plays against good teams) and so was our DB's. Linebakers saved this team in big games all year. Did you see our 2006 team. Good teams ran it down our throats and MLB's didn't slow them down.

- Next year's group of LBs will be the best this school has had in a LONG time! Here is what I see coming back on defense:

DBs - Three (Johnson, Turner, Gresham)

LBs - Three (Hodge, McGill, Waggoner)

Line - Two (Leonard, Laddish)

Eight returning starters off an 8-4 team. Look for this group to improve with a years experience.

Ironman,

You know me better than that. I was not calling out Hodge. I was pointing out that Hodge needs help. I don't think he (or any other MLB) should be making tackles 6 yards down field "outside the tackles." If it is the Middle LB's job, then we have to get a faster one that can get there and make the tackle at the line of scrimmage.

I was trying to say that our run support from either the OLB and safeties was a weak spot. I am not qualified to call anyone out. I am not always sure whose job it is at times to be the outside contain guy or the run support guy off tackle. That defense, and the stunts out of it, can make it hard to tell sometimes except for Coach J.

You might add Pixley to your linemen returning. He saw quite a bit of playing time at nose and Chad Bright saw plenty of time in the defensive backfield due to injury.

It will be tough having to wait and see what next year holds. I enjoy finally having something positive to look forward to.

Ok fairplay - I misunderstood what you said about Hodge. My bad! I still say he was the best defensive player we had this year (100+ tackles). Look for a big year from he and the other returning linebackers.

- Also, the eight returning starters I mentioned were just that, returning starters. I don't believe that Pixley or Bright started (although I'm glad they got playing time). Others to add to list of significant playing time would be Bolden, McFalls, Cottrell, Fitzpatrick and Hillard.

- Number one priority - we need to get bigger and stronger on defense. Our lack of size really hurt in the big games - Red Bank, Maryville, and Bearden. I know we can't control how tall our players are, but the good teams were A LOT bigger than our defense. Small and fast worked against the weaker teams, but we MUST get bigger and stronger for next year if we hope to go any further than round two. McFalls and Hillard both have a good frame and look atheltic, let's hope these guys gain some weight and get serious in the weight room.

- Finally, we only had two players bench over 300 pounds this year. Look for this number to go up next year to at least six and maybe ten. Someone told me that the state championship team in 86 had all eleven starters on defense benching 300+. Maybe a big reason for our lack of production on defense was due to lack of strength. Again, getting bigger and stronger is priority number one!!

Ok fairplay - I misunderstood what you said about Hodge. My bad! I still say he was the best defensive player we had this year (100+ tackles). Look for a big year from he and the other returning linebackers.

- Also, the eight returning starters I mentioned were just that, returning starters. I don't believe that Pixley or Bright started (although I'm glad they got playing time). Others to add to list of significant playing time would be Bolden, McFalls, Cottrell, Fitzpatrick and Hillard.

- Number one priority - we need to get bigger and stronger on defense. Our lack of size really hurt in the big games - Red Bank, Maryville, and Bearden. I know we can't control how tall our players are, but the good teams were A LOT bigger than our defense. Small and fast worked against the weaker teams, but we MUST get bigger and stronger for next year if we hope to go any further than round two. McFalls and Hillard both have a good frame and look atheltic, let's hope these guys gain some weight and get serious in the weight room.

- Finally, we only had two players bench over 300 pounds this year. Look for this number to go up next year to at least six and maybe ten. Someone told me that the state championship team in 86 had all eleven starters on defense benching 300+. Maybe a big reason for our lack of production on defense was due to lack of strength. Again, getting bigger and stronger is priority number one!!

I totally agree with your assessment that strength is the number one priority in the off season. We got pushed around by some teams this year. The team really needs the new weight room. It is a shame that they still don't have enough money to break ground. The players say that it is far to crowded in the current facility.

I don't know if being the leading tackler always makes a person the best player on a defense. The line and contain guys are supposed to route the runners into holes that the LBs should fill. IMO LBs should lead the team in tackles. I will say I thought Hodge was the best LB we had this year. I think Leonard was the best lineman this year. And I think (even though he got burned a few times) Gresham was the best overall DB this year. We have all of those guys back. That is great news.

I have not heard when the ground breaking will take place but until it gets completed I have two questions? 1. Why not have the players lift at different times? I know some are probably in Coach J's weight class, but some could lift in the morning, during class, and the rest in the afternoon. 2. Is it true that you must take off 3 weeks from your end of your season before you start lifting again?

Waiting on the answers.