Bearden vs Smyrna

Lost Old Dad

unfortunately, i have lost both to bearden and smyrna in the playoffs in the past two seasons. however, i beleive that bearden is the best team the owls have played in the past two years. i know smyrna plays with alot of heart in the playoffs and is led by one of the state's best quarterbacks, sonny gray. it may be ignorant for me to pick againgst the defending state champion but no one hits harder or gives more effort than the bearden bulldogs. these guys are big and they swarm to the football. the hits i can still feel even 3 weeks after the loss. in fact, some of our players are having off season surgery after the bearden game. this game will be a dog fight but i think the way bearden is playing will have them prevail in a close ball game. plus, i would love to say ooltewah lost to the eventual state champion in the playoffs in back to back years.

what number do u wear?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok from the film I've seen Smyrna's offensive scheme is to run wheels and crosses (where they can bump zone coverage defenders before the ball is thrown) until the other team is forced to play man. Once they get them playing man they can throw to Wilks all day. They can then mix in runs and screens to gain some yards once the other team is focused on those WR's. I don't suppose they will change it seeing as it has been so successful and it should be interesting to see what Bearden does in order to defend it. While on the other hand Beardens plays old school running football with the occaisonal pass. These two seem like complete opposites in scheme and I'm sure both will play with tons of heart and class, a great game.

As far as what 82cat said (too long to quote) doesn't the defense generally play less down lineman than the offense? meaning they will have more people in coverage and the offense will have less eligible recievers, giving the defense a more than 1 man coverage advantage? Anyhow I also think cheating a safety or bringing double coverage doesn't take players out of the play (even if it's a run) but that's just me.

cliff notes answer

if you take people out of the normal defensive scheme to double cover it can cause match up problems in other areas.

you are correct about the d line numbers but most defenses have 6 lineman and lbs in some fashion.

I have seen 3 bearden games on dvd (william blount,farragaut and i think the other one was dobbyns bennett)

Very impressed with the qb runs the offense very well and really likes the 10 to 15 yard curls. The rb always cuts it up as soon as he gets the ball even on sweeps he is a power back and I only saw one run where he tried to get wide.

Smyrna had a typical tuesday full pads live inside drill and scrimmage on both offense and defense. Once again just like the last few weeks very physical and unusual to go full scrimmage live this late in the season.

as for what smyrna runs passing the ball well it depends on what bearden does on defense - sonny can change the play at anytime.

sonny and rod will be playing their 59th game together this friday night (going back to middle school) to say sonny knows where rod will be on a route or when he may change one based on coverage is and understatement.

refresher

round one:

cookeville - to physical and disciplined for smyrna will run right at smyrna. smyrna 2 man show wilks and gray

smyrna 28

cookeville 10

cookeville 7 staright 3 and outs for net 4 yards.

tb bryson 178 yards and 3 tds

round 2:

lc region 3 champ at lc (lincoln county) once again to physical and their defense is to good for smyrna to move the ball

smyrna 43

lc 16

lc offense 29 rushes for 22 yards put the ball in the air 8 times 3 were intercepted

round 3:

wilson central:

scored 44 on coffe county scored 35 on riverdale their offense is to tough and will roll up some points

smyrna 17

wc 7

1 td and shut out for 3 quarters

now this week Smyrna the defending state champion will go into this game as an under dog. you will read it on here all week I guarantee you.

I am sure bearden is an outstanding football and look forward to the game.I think most teams as much as they enjoy rivalries are ready to get out of region and see some new folks.

As for bud who will keep everyone entertained all week

"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

Abraham Lincoln

Since no one from bearden has seen smyrna you can go to www.storkmotgomery.com and see some clips they are under a couple places but our stars has some of gray and wilkes.

if you know anywhere I cannget Bearden stuff let me know.

Noticed on the big ones list bearden is now the pick to win and by friday will probably be picked by more.

Here we go again!

i hate football. it is so stupid gosh i cant stand big barbarians going out and hitting each other jeez it makes me want to cry. all football players should just die!!!!

Looks like someone is posting under your name. It would be a good thing to log out on the school computers... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Bearden takes this one. They are just hot right now an hungry for the win.

Good luck to the (Bearden) Bulldogs.

Remember, dog fighting is illegal in Tennessee. Follow the rules (no penalties ) and you win.

Just tell me one thing.....who does Bearden have that can stop Wilks? ????????????????????????????? Thats what I thought.....NO ONE!!!!

Just tell me one thing.....who does Bearden have that can stop Wilks? ????????????????????????????? Thats what I thought.....NO ONE!!!!

Ok how about sean cunningham. If wilks has size, sean is about 6'3" and bigger than any reciever I've ever seen him play. On speed, just look at the 4x400 relay from two years ago and you'll see that he's faster than just about everyone on our team. Don't get me wrong, I don't see one on one coverage because the reciever almost always wins, but if we roll over one of our two very capable safetys, Dawson Halliday or Cory Eicholtz i say bearden gets the job done. Bearden by 8.