Bearden vs Smyrna

Lost Old Dad

That freshman rb has 1000 yards and 12 td's. He is no longer a freshman. And as far as being able to block up front the Smyrna offensive line is tough tough tough and have played two of the best lines in the state. Riverdale and Brentwood Acadamy. If sonny gets on a roll it could be a long night. GO DAWGS !!!!!!!!!

thats true..beardens gonna have a tough time against our o line...and we're gonna have a tough time against their o line..but in the end we pull it out cause we're the DAWGS...yeah bearden we know your dogs too b4 you say anything but we're the smyrna bulldogs

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you Smyrna fans that should give you some idea of what to expect from Bearden. I would really like to see a 5A Championship brought to East Tennessee, but I'm not sure I could stomach one for Bearden.

Starpower

Where's the love?..... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> They kicked our butts to, but you've got to pull for your home town boys... Heck ..you could even say you beat the state champs early in the season....... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

tpoole12

Go Govs

tpoole12, it's a bitter rivalry, what can I say. If they were in our region maybe. I wish them good luck, but the feelings run too deep to actually pull for them.

Yeah I know what you mean.... It's hard to pull for a rival.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> BTW You did a great job of breaking Beardons offense....... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know nothing about Smyrna, but I can tell you some things about Bearden. Their defense is tough. Smyrna will have problems blocking Bearden's front, everybody they've played has had problems. You better be able to move the pocket because to drop back just puts a target on your chest. They are also very physical, and great tacklers. I doubt Smyrna will be able to run the ball effectively, especially with a freshman RB. Bearden's pass defense is not quite what their run defense is, but they're still good enough to get the job done. You may be able to beat their scheme, but athletically they will match up well with anybody. Offensively they will run from two formations of the shotgun. One with the backs on each side of the QB. One with the fullback next to the QB with the RB directly behind the QB. Works (#19) is a good back with deceptive power, he's lanky, but runs extremely hard every play. Their FB rarely runs the ball, but is good at sneaking out in the flat in the passing game. The rest of their passing game includes a lot of curl routes, and crossing routes, so discipline in your coverage will be very important. The have plenty of experience, starting a senior at every position ( I think).

Thanks a lot! I know people around here have been wanting to know a little more about Bearden, and all we have gotten so far is "We can't be stopped, and our defense is amazing" (a little exageration, but you get the picture).

Smyrna has had several very physical games lately. Those have either prepared them well or worn them down. Time will tell.

If you have any doubts whether or not a freshman rb will be able to run the ball, just ask Brentwood Acadamy. After Sonny went down, they knew we couldn't throw, but they couldn't stop it. He was injured for the last 3 or so games in the regular season I think (82Cat can elaborate, maybe), but in the playoffs he has been very effective. He won't wow you with top end speed, but he has more explosion to the hole and in the hole than I have seen in a long time.

Can't wait for this one. Maybe it won't be so cold. Last week when I got my hot chocolate at the concession stand it was already luke warm when I reached my seat.

Thanks for your support, Just ignore the to young players they don"t know how to respond to a former player that is just trying to support their former team, teammates, and coaches. THEY JUST NEED TO KEEP PRACTICING TO HELP THE TEAM TO GET PREPARED FOR SMYRNA AND APPRECIATE BEING PART OF A GREAT BEARDEN FOOTBALL TEAM AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE THEMSELVES A BETTER FOOTBALL PLAYER FOR BEARDEN NEXT YEAR WHEN YOU GET YOUR CHANCE TO GET PLAYING TIME. zcbh60, I remember you and you remind me of some of the linemen on this years Bearden football team. Your team did have an outstanding defense like this years team does. Thank you and all former players for your support.

Thanks for remembering the team. I was a little fired up and ready to go Saturday when I was conversing with them and it seems they were in the same mood. It is all in good fun. It is also great to see the team doing well and some of the young players having such intense attitudes. I am going to try to make it to Smyrna to cheer them on.

GO DAWGS!!!! the real ones from Bearden

Well here's how I look at it: Bearden's lost only one game. Smyrna's lost 3. But Smyrna's battle-tested. And they beat a team with a similar record last year to reach State :cough: Ooltewah :cough:

Bearden's new to this. They have never had success like this. I think it will come down to experience. Bearden's now tasting sweet success for the first time. I remember when I was a part of the 2007 SHS baseball team when we reached State for the 1st time in 21 years we took it for granted and got our butts kicked at the end.

Smyrna's ready to go to work. They've somehow managed to surprise us all including beat the team I and almost everyone of us picked to go all the way: Wilson Central. They've managed to last longer than Riverdale or WC despite not having a better record than EITHER ONE OF THEM. They are also the defending State Champions with playmakers like Rod Wilks and Sonny Gray. They've proven themselves in the clutch and I know they can get it done again.

Bearden and Smyrna will absolutely fight for their lives. Bearden wants to make it happen for the first time and Smyrna wants to avoid getting dethroned. In the end we will see a Bulldog in the final round and my final pick is...

Smyrna 21

Bearden 17

This game is gonna be a great one. Two outstanding teams that are both hungry and feel they are getting no respect.

If I was Bearden I would be hoping for a really cold night as it has the effect of making WR's drop some really hard thrown balls.

On the positive side though, Smyrna makes really great Hot Choclate! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I think I only had about 6 cups of it the last time I was there. They do NOT serve it watered down either.

The best thing about Sonny Gray is the fact he does NOT make stupid mistakes. He does not like to be sacked either so he moves when he has to and throws it away when he must. Even when he is going to the ground he has a nasty habit of hitting his WR for a completion! R'dale knows about that from LAST year! He was good last year and has only gotten better this year. This from a kid who is truly humble and makes little of his own talent for the good of the team. This is from a kid that could probably be on his knees at midfield and still hit a receiver in the endzone. Thing is Sonny is NOT just about his arm. He has legs to and does know how to use them.

Concentrate on Wilks, and the OTHER WR's will burn you. Concentrate on Bryson and Sonny will burn you on a run.

Like I said this WILL be a great game.