Henry Co. vs Maplewood

BigRedForLife

Hello Pat Fans

Just got in from the lake a few hours ago. Thought about you guys a bunch this weekend. What a game that was Friday night. Your dudes came ready to win that game. I have not looked at the stats on this game yet but I??™m going to say that Pats numbers will show that it was really a winning performance. That darn 4th quarter hic cup at the end made me sick like it was our own Wildcats. It was a GREAT time I had visiting with all of you Pat fans and meeting Coach Gaddis and your All Stars for the East West game. I'm sure there will be two to step up for them to continue the type of Pat football you guys play. Talking with a few folks this Friday based on what they told me you guys will be awesome as well next year. Thanks for the fine vittles you feed me and you folks do it RIGHT in HENRY CO. GO BIG RED .. START WORKING FOR NEXT YEAR NOW.

With you keeping most of your boys on the roster for next year I would say the Pats will be doing business for sure and look for you to be at State next year. One thing for sure Maplewood can not be knocking this Pat team that??™s for sure. And let me also give the boski team some love. Panthers you guys are some tough dude??™s as well. With the short roster you??™re playing and several players playing both sides??™ that is impressive as well. Good Luck with the Rebels this Sat.

I??™ll be chatting at you guys Keep your heads up PATRIOTS Region Champs. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a game!! Just wished that we would've had a better run of luck at the end. Great game played by the Pats! You guys have done a remarkable thing over the last two years. Keep your heads up!! Coach Gaddis is a fine coach, mentor, and individual. The entire coaching staff is class act.

Golfendude, good to meet and visit with ya. Thanks for coming in the fieldhouse and speaking to my boy. He thought alot about that. Will we be seeing ya at CN? We are having an MRI on his knee this afternoon. We do not think that anything is wrong...just want to be sure.

WHAT A RIDE!!! ROLL RED ROLL!!

What a game!! Just wished that we would've had a better run of luck at the end. Great game played by the Pats! You guys have done a remarkable thing over the last two years. Keep your heads up!! Coach Gaddis is a fine coach, mentor, and individual. The entire coaching staff is class act.

Golfendude, good to meet and visit with ya. Thanks for coming in the fieldhouse and speaking to my boy. He thought alot about that. Will we be seeing ya at CN? We are having an MRI on his knee this afternoon. We do not think that anything is wrong...just want to be sure.

We will keep him in our thoughts BR84!!

It's taken me three days to get that sick feeling out of my stomach! After reflecting on it, all I can say is, WHAT A YEAR! One of the best in our history. Sure hope "Big Country" is OK--- Our prayers are with him. Hope he and Lamar can make us even prouder( if that is possible) at Carson-Newman. I,like most of the folks in Henry county and the rest of West Tennessee, wish the Maplewood Panthers the best of luck on Saturday. They face a monumental task but with a little luck here's hoping that they end Maryville' reign. If not, we'll do it next year!

GO BIG RED

BigRed84 we will be there the day of the game. What about your son what happened. MRI did he get hurt in this game? Let us know everything is ok. He is big good looking football player that's for sure. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Most of us would have been more than happy to root for Maplewood in hopes of seeing someone finally beat Maryville. However the lack of sportsmanship from the majority of your players and coaches last night was appalling. A few players taunted ours throughout the night (as shown by the high number of personal fouls called against them). Some of this can always be expected from players, but should never be seen from the coaching staff. When the two teams were exiting the field before half-time, some of the Maplewood coaches started yelling and cussing at our team. And after the game was won, about four or five of your team came and started dancing on our sidelines, and one player even came over and threw his gloves at our one of our coaches.

Now it's sad that the actions of a few form the opinions on the entire team. Many of your players were real class acts. They helped our players up from the field after each play and came over to congratulate them on a great season. But you should not find it hard to believe that we wouldn't be rooting for your team to win the state championship. After all, who wants a bunch of sore winners representing our great state of Tennessee ?

On that note, go Maryville

I vowed not to talk about this situation until our run for the state title was over with. I would first like to apologize for the player throwing his gloves at a coach, that was very disrespectful. He wrote an apology letter to the coach and was punished the whole week of practice for this, but this does not excuse what he did. When the two teams exited the field, the Maplewood Coaching Staff stated to one another that one of the HC players wasn't playing as tough as he had played in previous games. When this was said, a player from HC yelled out Don't be talking about my Moth## #uc#### cousin. Some other HC players told this kid that he should not be talking to the other coaches like that and he said I don't give a #uc# about those other coaches. During halftime he must have told the HC player(his cousin supposingly) that the Maplewood Staff said that he was playing soft because the kid that was being discussed walked toward the Maplewood Staff after halftime,pounded his chest and said I was playing soft the first half but I am #uc#i## ready now. If you were there watching the game you noticed this kid pound his chest and say something to the players and coaches on the Maplewood sideline after he made a big run. The Maplewood coaches never cussed @ a HC player, they were doing all the cussing. So lets not sit up here and make Maplewood out to be the villians and HC the angels because both teams had players that were out of line.I think that both teams acted like this because they were playing high on emotions,this was the state semi final game, but it still doesn't excise their actions. Just wanted to clear the air on Maplewood coaches yelling and cussing the HC team.

I vowed not to talk about this situation until our run for the state title was over with. I would first like to apologize for the player throwing his gloves at a coach, that was very disrespectful. He wrote an apology letter to the coach and was punished the whole week of practice for this, but this does not excuse what he did. When the two teams exited the field, the Maplewood Coaching Staff stated to one another that one of the HC players wasn't playing as tough as he had played in previous games. When this was said, a player from HC yelled out Don't be talking about my Moth## #uc#### cousin. Some other HC players told this kid that he should not be talking to the other coaches like that and he said I don't give a #uc# about those other coaches. During halftime he must have told the HC player(his cousin supposingly) that the Maplewood Staff said that he was playing soft because the kid that was being discussed walked toward the Maplewood Staff after halftime,pounded his chest and said I was playing soft the first half but I am #uc#i## ready now. If you were there watching the game you noticed this kid pound his chest and say something to the players and coaches on the Maplewood sideline after he made a big run. The Maplewood coaches never cussed @ a HC player, they were doing all the cussing. So lets not sit up here and make Maplewood out to be the villians and HC the angels because both teams had players that were out of line.I think that both teams acted like this because they were playing high on emotions,this was the state semi final game, but it still doesn't excise their actions. Just wanted to clear the air on Maplewood coaches yelling and cussing the HC team.

First of all, congratulations on your run for state; it was quite an accomplishment, and you played Maryville impressively. I don't think HC is making Maplewood out to be villains based on the actions of a couple, just as I hope you would not feel the same about HC. I hate that your coaches were treated this way. I think we have two class-act coaching staffs, trying to build tradition with winning programs and character. As you said, both teams were playing high on emotion. All I would say is that perhaps the coaches could have waited until they were in the locker room or at least not within ear shot of the opposing team to discuss "poor performance." Kids do not handle that kind of thing well. Please do not think I am condoning their actions. They should never have acted the way they did. It was a hard fought game; again, congratulations.

Thought it was one heck of a game, did not like th outcome, but the player that threw the glove really changed my attitude about the program at Maplewood, had he not doen that, I would have definitely been pulling for Maplewood to end the streak of Maryville as I am usually for the underdog, but after that display, (as I know one player does not and should not be the face of a team, I do not remember teh players number who did it but I do remember it was a Maplewood player), I wanted Maryville to win and I actually wanted Maryville to throttle Maplewood. Call it sour grapes if you will, but last year after losing to Hillsboro, I most certainly wanted Hillsboro to win it all.

I know the coaches did not condone that behavior but if my child gets arrested for selling drugs, whether I condone it or not, it looks bad for my family.

• 5 years later...

I know I am 5 and a half years late on this post but this game is still the best football game I have ever seen in person. From the helicopter landing to us going for two in OT, the whole scene was FANtastic.

I agree it was a phenomenal game, albeit heartbreaking on our end.

It's funny, the two most exciting Henry County games I've ever seen (besides the state title over Powell) happened in consecutive weeks during the 2007 playoffs. Quarterfinals against Melrose and the semifinals against Mapelwood. Melrose had the ball up 6 late in the 4th quarter and were pretty much running the clock out at that point. Their QB turns around to hand the ball off and Henry County safety Shonte Sims somehow breaks through the line and literally takes the ball from the quarterback and runs it in for the game winning score. 27-26

The Maplewood game speaks for itself. It looked like we were about to win and then BOOM, the fumble at the 3 yard line happened and it goes to overtime. Maplewood goes for two and grabs the 36-35 victory. Very, very rarely do I get mad about a football game, but that was one of them. But looking back now, it was an absolute classic.

Nice bump, fleetwoodbrohm.

I second pretty much everything MSURacer said. This game, along with the 1992 semifinals against Gallatin were a couple of the most exciting/frustrating/gutwrenching battles I've ever witnessed. The fact that we came up on the losing end made them blood boilers, but man were those some great games.

Also, thanks for the trip down memory lane, MSU. I had forgotten all about that Sims play against Melrose in '07 lol. One of the best defensive plays in HC football history, along with Randall Dunlap's focred fumble of Dustin McPhetridge in the 2011 championship game to clinch the state title.

Man, reading/talking about all this makes me ready for August!

Nice bump, fleetwoodbrohm.

I second pretty much everything MSURacer said. This game, along with the 1992 semifinals against Gallatin were a couple of the most exciting/frustrating/gutwrenching battles I've ever witnessed. The fact that we came up on the losing end made them blood boilers, but man were those some great games.

Also, thanks for the trip down memory lane, MSU. I had forgotten all about that Sims play against Melrose in '07 lol. One of the best defensive plays in HC football history, along with Randall Dunlap's focred fumble of Dustin McPhetridge in the 2011 championship game to clinch the state title.

Man, reading/talking about all this makes me ready for August!

Haha I definitely agree with the bold.

I remember the '92 Gallatin game. I was only in 8th grade, but I remember how crazy it was. A special teams mishap cost us a shot at the state championship game. I was pissed lol. My Junior and Senior seasons at HCHS had some bitter finishes too. Quarterfinals against MBA in '95 and the second round against Whitehaven in '96. The teams I played on had so much talent, and Coach Samsel was a very good coach, but good lord did we have some idiots on those teams.

2008 semis against Hillsboro was another really bitter loss, just because that team was so good and talented. Obviously a senior duo of Teague and Allen, but then we had a junior class that had a half dozen college prospects. I was convinced we were simply cursed after that season ended lol. Thank God 2011 happened, and I'm expecting good things in 2013 and 2014. Here's to August hurrying itself up!