Hampton vs. South Pitt

Lord Vader

the pass defense is weak because some of the players think they can use their athletic abilities to cover the pass. Coach Grider and the crew need to focus on assignments or cover. They need to make the kids understand that with a good QB/WR combo it doesn't matter how much ability you have, they will find a way to pass on you.

Is Hampton's offense balanced? What is their bread and butter plays? What defensive scheme is their most common?

I would say that Hampton's offense is fairly balanced. It just depends, really. They came out firing in the air in the first round against Coalfield. In that game they only threw 4 passes but all of them went for TD's. Two of them were for over 65 yards. The other two were from about 25 yards out. In that game they were up 42-0 at halftime and the starters never went back in so there was not much need to throw more than 4 times. Against Oneida, the Dogs took an early lead and just ran the ball all night to keep the clock running. At halftime of that game, the coaches made it a point to not try to do anything to lose the game. They had the game well in hand and Oneida could not move the ball at all. There was no need to throw. Against Midway, the Dogs did anything that they wanted. They ran and threw on them at will. I am not sure about Lunsfords stats but I would say he threw it 10 or 11 times with I think only 1 incompletion and 1 TD (as soon as I read the paper in the morning I will put his actual statistics on here for the game). Before the Midway game Lunsford had over 1,200 yards through the air with 21 TD's and only four INT's. There was never a great need to throw against Midway though. The Dogs purty much just lined up and ran it down their throat. The line pushed the smaller (and probably faster) Green Wave line all over the field while the Dawg RB's were picking up 8-10 yards a carry...

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read more carefully!! The post does not say anything about State Champion, but if you would like to give back your standing as Conferance and region Champs that's up to you!! Give me a brake!! Please tell me your smarter than you appear!

If you're going to post and question someone else's intelligence, I would advise you to at least spell "conference" correctly. And it would also be "give me a B-R-E-A-K" notice: break....unless you wanted someone to hand you that thing that slows or stops your car. And since you got all hot and bothered to call someone else out on their "smarts" its also "you're smarter" notice a contraction of "you are".

Now that the english lesson is over....I truly hope all these Hampton folks won't duck out of this thread after the game. I'm anxious to see them 'fess up that although they were a good high school team by upper East Tennessee standards, they simply could not compete with what South Pitt puts on the field.

And please stop making the comparisons to the '01 semifinal at Cloudland. That S. Pitt team went into the playoffs with a 6-4 record and got waxed by Boyd in the regular season. They were barely the second best team in their region and got as far as they did with smoke and mirrors. This year's team is up to the standards of a typical Pirates state contender and you'll have a long ride back home to discuss that very point after at least a 3-TD loss. And yes, it will be that bad. If you want to call me out on that prediction, then please ...puh-leeez....at least have the guts to log back in here after the game and admit those of us who know its coming and called it were right.

I simply cannot figure out how S. Pitt got so good over the past year. They only lost 2 starters (I think) from last years team which was a team that was handled early in the playoffs rather easily. Hampton made it to the 4th round last year and are clearly better this year. Like I said, I cannot see how S. Pitt got to be (supposedly) 3 TD's better than Hampton in only a year's time. I think some people may need to examine this matchup more closely...

man, if the players fight as hard as we do on here, the score may end up 2-2 with both teams having to forfeit for too many personal fouls. Cmon guys be nice on here or don't post at all. Either way, the better team should come out victorious. What most on here don't understand is these two teams have never faced each other so unless you are a player, you will not have even seen each team play (most likely) unless on film. So at this point in the playoffs, all scores, stats, and who beat who, should be thrown out the window. I would love to see a blow out, but I would rather see a nail-biter to the end! It makes things much better if you are on the winning side. Bad thing is, someone has to lose.

WOW Mike there is someone on here that has there head on strait. Know matter the outcome of the game there will be no losers on the field. 13 an 0 vs 13 an 0 Could go either. South Pitt is fast but so is Midway. Thay have a RB with over 4000 yards in 3 years he's a JR 21 for 117 yards no tds GO DOGS /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you're going to post and question someone else's intelligence, I would advise you to at least spell "conference" correctly. And it would also be "give me a B-R-E-A-K" notice: break....unless you wanted someone to hand you that thing that slows or stops your car. And since you got all hot and bothered to call someone else out on their "smarts" its also "you're smarter" notice a contraction of "you are".

Now that the english lesson is over....I truly hope all these Hampton folks won't duck out of this thread after the game. I'm anxious to see them 'fess up that although they were a good high school team by upper East Tennessee standards, they simply could not compete with what South Pitt puts on the field.

And please stop making the comparisons to the '01 semifinal at Cloudland. That S. Pitt team went into the playoffs with a 6-4 record and got waxed by Boyd in the regular season. They were barely the second best team in their region and got as far as they did with smoke and mirrors. This year's team is up to the standards of a typical Pirates state contender and you'll have a long ride back home to discuss that very point after at least a 3-TD loss. And yes, it will be that bad. If you want to call me out on that prediction, then please ...puh-leeez....at least have the guts to log back in here after the game and admit those of us who know its coming and called it were right.

The question is will you log back on. I doubt it. Hampton has been here 3 times now and we have learned, and we have improved. Friendship Christian got a heck of a game out of us. I seriously doubt South Pitt is better than Trousdale was a couple years ago. That was by far the best high school team I had seen. We got blown out, but it was our first experience. This group of kids are hungry. So, if we win, or if we lose a close game, are yougoing to get back on here and acknowledge? Probably not, but I promise you this, hampton is better than you think.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I am not from south pitt but I also didn't think that you got a ring for conference and region championships. That doesn't mean anything to me. What matters is that you get the ring at the end!! I guess you guys from hampton give rings out for that stuff since you never make it past this round!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

man, if the players fight as hard as we do on here, the score may end up 2-2 with both teams having to forfeit for too many personal fouls. Cmon guys be nice on here or don't post at all. Either way, the better team should come out victorious. What most on here don't understand is these two teams have never faced each other so unless you are a player, you will not have even seen each team play (most likely) unless on film. So at this point in the playoffs, all scores, stats, and who beat who, should be thrown out the window. I would love to see a blow out, but I would rather see a nail-biter to the end! It makes things much better if you are on the winning side. Bad thing is, someone has to lose.

I agree with you all the way!! Trust me when I say the Dogs have nothing but respect for the Pirates!! As said before you don't get this far unless you're for real!

How doo ewe git threw the hate width a heed that large??

I simply cannot figure out how S. Pitt got so good over the past year. They only lost 2 starters (I think) from last years team which was a team that was handled early in the playoffs rather easily. Hampton made it to the 4th round last year and are clearly better this year. Like I said, I cannot see how S. Pitt got to be (supposedly) 3 TD's better than Hampton in only a year's time. I think some people may need to examine this matchup more closely...

I think you are missing the point of these threads. Most people have seen only their team and are emotionally tied to their team. These people are parents ex -players and side line coaches. I have meet very few people who can separate themselves and evaluate their own team. so there is no way they can do another team. you should always take everything said with a grain of salt But I think you know that.

I agree with this. It is hard to believe how one team can change so much in just 1 year. The thing is, all they had to change was their mentality really. After that loss at Temple last year, they just lost it emotionally and seemed to not really care much. The coaches have done a great job in the offseason and this regular season to keep that mentality needed to prevail, and it has paid off so far. There are a few additions in key places, such as Safety, that have really impacted the Passing Defense. On top of that, the Defensive scheme changed to better utilize the abilities of what SP has. This may be a 14-13 game, who knows.

Pirate Mike beat me to my post, but the mentality has definitely changed this year. SP had alot of talent on this team for 2 or 3 years, but there were more individuals than a team playing every Friday night. That all came to a head last year when we got our butts handed to us by Gordonsville. Our boys saw what a real team was and decided in the off season to approach everything differently. They have worked very hard as a team to get to where they are now. With that said, I know we have weaknesses; every team does. It is the other teams job to take advantage of that to equal a win. I think the questions I see for both teams is this. For SP, can they keep a HUGE o-line and d-line from dominating them and stopping the run? For Hampton, can they contain the speed at every position that SP has? I think one of these will define the outcome of the game Friday night.

GO PIRATES!!!