David Lipscomb at Mitchell

strikethree11

You know you started three threads right? You must really like this topic. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

My apologies. Only the long version was supposed to be on. Coach T crashed and crawled from at least 10 o'clock on. I wasn't sure if any post about the game made it through.. Just as I am not sure this reply will make it.

I drove 100 miles to see the game, and was very disappointed. I am sure that if you asked either head coach if his team played well, they would reply in the negative. I was for Lipscomb but did not like the way they played.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitchell and David Lipscomb met tonight at J. P. Freeman Stadium in south Memphis, and, though it is hard to find much definite to say about such a sloppy game, it seems likely that one thing CAN be said: The Knox Fulton coaching staff will sleep well.

Lipscomb won the game 20-18 on a two yard run in the final two minutes, which were like a comedy of errors. Another Memphis team lost a crucial game because the Memphis schools stubbornly refuse to develop place kickers. Melrose would have beaten Henry County last week if Melrose had had a kicker. Lack of a kicker caused Mitchell to go for 2 after all 3 of its TDs. Mitchell went 0 for 3 and can clean out the lockers Monday.

It has come to my attention that my post on the Lipscomb-Mitchell game was cut off just as it was getting started. I don't know about others, but here, Coach T was crashing, creeping, crawling and stalling--from at least 10 P.M. until now.

The result of the abbreviated post was to make it appear that I was calling the game sloppy (it certainly was) without offering evidence. The remainder of the post--the 90% that never made it onto the site--offered the evidence.

1. Mitchell came into the game with the best and most exciting spread QB in the state--Ken Torry--and spent most of the game in a Pro-I using two 200 backs to pound Lipscomb between the tackles. Mitchell had a huge weight advantage on the Lipscomb defense, so the pounding worked--to an extent. Mitchell had a thoroughbred but chose to use 2 mules instead. When Torry and Mitchell got in the spread, their 5 and 10 yard runs began to lengthen. Mitchell knew that they had a size advantage and decided to exploit that. They also had a great speed advantage and did not exploit that.

2. Memphis schools lose many games--some crucial games--because they stubbornly refuse to develop place kickers. Mitchell scored 3 TDs (same as Lipscomb), went for 2 each time. Result: 0 for 3 and end of the season. Just last week, Melrose collapsed and lost to Henry County 27-26.

Melrose attempted 4 2-point conversions and made 2--and lost by one point. It happens every year to Memphis teams and they never seem to get the hint.

3. Lipscomb faced a defensive line with 8 in the box (and I do mean in a very crowded box), came in with 2 running backs who weigh under 180--and decided to run inside. The result was predictable--and ugly. At least, neither of the two got maimed. Only when Lipscomb employed Rogers on the sweep did they gain any yards on the ground. Lipscomb which throws passes around as often as Fox News endorses Democrats, scored its final two touchdowns after passes of 73 and 75 yards.

4. The final two minutes of the game were particularly out of control. After the 73 yard pass set up Lipscomb first and goal on the Mitchell 2 yard line, with Mitchell ahead 18-13, Lipscomb, a veteran playoff team, huddled with 12 men and got a 5 yard penalty, then did the same thing on the very next play, though it went uncalled. Holt ran outside for what proved to be the winning touchdown, the penalty unseen or unnoted.

5. Both coach staffs used all their timesout before the final 2 minutes, and both needed them desperately after they were gone. Mitchell began its final possession with about 1 and 1/2 minutes left--no timesout. Lipscomb remarkably helped them down the field with a 15 yard personal foul penalty. Torry completed a pass into the Lipscomb end zone--and beyond and was called for being beyond the line of scrimmage--15 yards and loss of down.

6. On two plays in the final franticness, Mitchell linemen walked back to the line of scrimmage--with the game clock inside one minute. Old habits die hard.

7. In the end, Lipscomb prevailed and moves toward what is almost certain whipping by Fulton.

Mitchell ends the season and Torry goes back to point guard on the basketball team, where he has even more talent than on the football field. Once again, Memphis football falls short. Certainly, no other coaches in the state squander as much talent as do the Memphis coaching staffs. It is remarkable how many talented young men rise from mediocre Memphis teams to become outstanding college players. Many of those players deserve better.

8. It ws an exciting game but a sloppy game. I strongly suspect that both coaches would say (after they praised the efforts and dedication of the young men) that their teams did not play well. Exciting does not mean excellence. My first effort at sex a half century ago was exciting; I can assure everyone it was not a study in excellence--at least not as many people were watching as saw Lipscomb-Mitchell at J.P. Freeman tonight.

It has come to my attention that my post on the Lipscomb-Mitchell game was cut off just as it was getting started. I don't know about others, but here, Coach T was crashing, creeping, crawling and stalling--from at least 10 P.M. until now.

The result of the abbreviated post was to make it appear that I was calling the game sloppy (it certainly was) without offering evidence. The remainder of the post--the 90% that never made it onto the site--offered the evidence.

1. Mitchell came into the game with the best and most exciting spread QB in the state--Ken Torry--and spent most of the game in a Pro-I using two 200 backs to pound Lipscomb between the tackles. Mitchell had a huge weight advantage on the Lipscomb defense, so the pounding worked--to an extent. Mitchell had a thoroughbred but chose to use 2 mules instead. When Torry and Mitchell got in the spread, their 5 and 10 yard runs began to lengthen. Mitchell knew that they had a size advantage and decided to exploit that. They also had a great speed advantage and did not exploit that.

2. Memphis schools lose many games--some crucial games--because they stubbornly refuse to develop place kickers. Mitchell scored 3 TDs (same as Lipscomb), went for 2 each time. Result: 0 for 3 and end of the season. Just last week, Melrose collapsed and lost to Henry County 27-26.

Melrose attempted 4 2-point conversions and made 2--and lost by one point. It happens every year to Memphis teams and they never seem to get the hint.

3. Lipscomb faced a defensive line with 8 in the box (and I do mean in a very crowded box), came in with 2 running backs who weigh under 180--and decided to run inside. The result was predictable--and ugly. At least, neither of the two got maimed. Only when Lipscomb employed Rogers on the sweep did they gain any yards on the ground. Lipscomb which throws passes around as often as Fox News endorses Democrats, scored its final two touchdowns after passes of 73 and 75 yards.

4. The final two minutes of the game were particularly out of control. After the 73 yard pass set up Lipscomb first and goal on the Mitchell 2 yard line, with Mitchell ahead 18-13, Lipscomb, a veteran playoff team, huddled with 12 men and got a 5 yard penalty, then did the same thing on the very next play, though it went uncalled. Holt ran outside for what proved to be the winning touchdown, the penalty unseen or unnoted.

5. Both coach staffs used all their timesout before the final 2 minutes, and both needed them desperately after they were gone. Mitchell began its final possession with about 1 and 1/2 minutes left--no timesout. Lipscomb remarkably helped them down the field with a 15 yard personal foul penalty. Torry completed a pass into the Lipscomb end zone--and beyond and was called for being beyond the line of scrimmage--15 yards and loss of down.

6. On two plays in the final franticness, Mitchell linemen walked back to the line of scrimmage--with the game clock inside one minute. Old habits die hard.

7. In the end, Lipscomb prevailed and moves toward what is almost certain whipping by Fulton.

Mitchell ends the season and Torry goes back to point guard on the basketball team, where he has even more talent than on the football field. Once again, Memphis football falls short. Certainly, no other coaches in the state squander as much talent as do the Memphis coaching staffs. It is remarkable how many talented young men rise from mediocre Memphis teams to become outstanding college players. Many of those players deserve better.

8. It ws an exciting game but a sloppy game. I strongly suspect that both coaches would say (after they praised the efforts and dedication of the young men) that their teams did not play well. Exciting does not mean excellence. My first effort at sex a half century ago was exciting; I can assure everyone it was not a study in excellence--at least not as many people were watching as saw Lipscomb-Mitchell at J.P. Freeman tonight.

I respect your opinion on the game but I saw it another way. It was not a sexy ball game but more of a slugfest. I will agree about the Mitchell kicking or a lack of it which may have cost them a chance to win at the end. We asked one of the Memphis area chain gang about kicking, he indicated that the Memphis area teams just don't have and don't develop kickers. Both defenses took the offenses for the most part out of the game. Both teams though were able to punch it in fewer times. On the Fulton comment, Lipscomb will probably have their hands full but the Mustangs will work hard this week and will have a game plan. I doubt Fulton will view this game as a pushover.

I am so mad at the Mitchell coach I don't know what to do. Yes, Mitchell doesn't have a FGK. It doesn't matter. They didn't need one. The game should have been put out of reach before that happened. Mitchell outgained DL 404 to 275 yards. Mitchell had the size advantage and it took it's affect in the 2nd half. Mitchell could run the ball at will. DL played 6 men in the box ALL NIGHT LONG. 3 downlinemen, 3 LB', 3 DB's on each WR ... and 2 safties ... ALL NIGHT. Mitchell's OL outweighed the DL linemen across the board by at least 20 to 25 lbs on average. In the 2nd half of the game ... Mitchell dominated the line of scimmage on running plays. In the 4th quarter ... Mitchell was running downhill.

SO WHY ON EARTH DOES THE COACH decide to pass the ball when in the red zone? It's 18-13 ... Micthell winning. 1st and goal inside the 10. 4 minutes and change left in the game. First down ... run for a gain of 4 yards. Now ... 2nd and goal from the 5 or 4 ... something like that. David Lipscomd STILL HAS 2 SAFTIES PLAYING DEEP ... and the Mitchell coach calls a pass play. A FREAKING PASS PLAY! ... ALL OF THOSE DB'S IN THE ENDZONE ... and ... THE RUNNING GAME DOMINATING ... and he calls a PASS PLAY? ... not just one pass play ... oh no ... he calls 3!!!!!!!! ... In a row! What happens? ... Ken Torry throws an interception on the 4th down play! When all he had to do is tell Ken Torry to turn around and hand the ball off to #28 or #40 and pound the ball inside. David Lipscomb had NO ANSWER for that. NONE .... ZILCH ... NADA .... ZERO!

David Lipscomb did what they needed to do to score and come out with a victory ... but even coach McCadams said in the Commerciall Appeal ...

"I wouldn't say we beat anybody tonight. We're lucky to win"

It should have never been that close! Stevie wonder could see that David Lipscomb couldn't stop the Mitchell running game. Rule #1 in football ... take what the defense is giving you ... David Lipscomb was giving up the run to stop the pass. The Mitchell RB had 167 yards on 24 carries. The FB had 50 yards on 8 carries. They ran at will ... ESPECIALLY in the 4th quarter.

SO ... again ... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PASS IN THE RED ZONE WITH ALL OF THOSE DB'S IN THE END ZONE ... IN THE 4TH QUARTER ... WHEN THE OL IS DOMINATING THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE?

That makes NO sense to me. None whatsoever. You score there ... whatever DL does after that is mute.

SIGH ... oh well ... I hope the coach realizes what he did ... because the guys that were in the stands with me were puzzled ... to say the least. We all looked at each other in amazement at what we were watching as we asked each other in disbelief ... What is he doing? Is he crazy?

This loss goes squarely on the Mitchell's coaches shoulders. I hope he recognizes what he did. Everybody in the stands could see what should have been done.

I'm still mad ... and I am a Whitehaven alumn ... I didn't even have a horse in this race.

Un-freakin-believable!

I am so mad at the Mitchell coach I don't know what to do. Yes, Mitchell doesn't have a FGK. It doesn't matter. They didn't need one. The game should have been put out of reach before that happened. Mitchell outgained DL 404 to 275 yards. Mitchell had the size advantage and it took it's affect in the 2nd half. Mitchell could run the ball at will. DL played 6 men in the box ALL NIGHT LONG. 3 downlinemen, 3 LB', 3 DB's on each WR ... and 2 safties ... ALL NIGHT. Mitchell's OL outweighed the DL linemen across the board by at least 20 to 25 lbs on average. In the 2nd half of the game ... Mitchell dominated the line of scimmage on running plays. In the 4th quarter ... Mitchell was running downhill.

SO WHY ON EARTH DOES THE COACH decide to pass the ball when in the red zone? It's 18-13 ... Micthell winning. 1st and goal inside the 10. 4 minutes and change left in the game. First down ... run for a gain of 4 yards. Now ... 2nd and goal from the 5 or 4 ... something like that. David Lipscomd STILL HAS 2 SAFTIES PLAYING DEEP ... and the Mitchell coach calls a pass play. A FREAKING PASS PLAY! ... ALL OF THOSE DB'S IN THE ENDZONE ... and ... THE RUNNING GAME DOMINATING ... and he calls a PASS PLAY? ... not just one pass play ... oh no ... he calls 3!!!!!!!! ... In a row! What happens? ... Ken Torry throws an interception on the 4th down play! When all he had to do is tell Ken Torry to turn around and hand the ball off to #28 or #40 and pound the ball inside. David Lipscomb had NO ANSWER for that. NONE .... ZILCH ... NADA .... ZERO!

David Lipscomb did what they needed to do to score and come out with a victory ... but even coach McCadams said in the Commerciall Appeal ...

It should have never been that close! Stevie wonder could see that David Lipscomb couldn't stop the Mitchell running game. Rule #1 in football ... take what the defense is giving you ... David Lipscomb was giving up the run to stop the pass. The Mitchell RB had 167 yards on 24 carries. The FB had 50 yards on 8 carries. They ran at will ... ESPECIALLY in the 4th quarter.

SO ... again ... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PASS IN THE RED ZONE WITH ALL OF THOSE DB'S IN THE END ZONE ... IN THE 4TH QUARTER ... WHEN THE OL IS DOMINATING THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE?

That makes NO sense to me. None whatsoever. You score there ... whatever DL does after that is mute.

SIGH ... oh well ... I hope the coach realizes what he did ... because the guys that were in the stands with me were puzzled ... to say the least. We all looked at each other in amazement at what we were watching as we asked each other in disbelief ... What is he doing? Is he crazy?

This loss goes squarely on the Mitchell's coaches shoulders. I hope he recognizes what he did. Everybody in the stands could see what should have been done.

I'm still mad ... and I am a Whitehaven alumn ... I didn't even have a horse in this race.

Un-freakin-believable!

Compared to Coach Cole's debut game against Lipscomb in 2002, this was much better prepared Tiger Team this year to face Lipscomb. Better game plan overall. In 2002 Coach Cole was like a deer in the headlights on their sidelines. This year wasn't the case. He had a better team and a better plan. An early turning point in the game came when Lipscomb found itself in the red zone and was getting ready to tack on another TD, the Mustangs fumbled and Mitchell recovered and was able to put its game face back on. A Lipscomb TD there and up by two scores may have turned the lights out on Mitchell. While you question coach Cole's call, it was their talented QB who made some critical errors by taking sacks, instead of running out of bounds to stop the clock. Mitchell had already blown all of their timeouts earlier.. They needed at least one late real BAD! Lipscomb had saved all three and used them about as best any team could. They stopped Mitchell's drive on three straight plays and utilized their timeouts accordingly and got the ball back and went 70+ yards and a score without any timeouts remaining. Another Lipscomb lesson to Coach Cole...develop a kicker.

Un-freakin-believable!

What did you expect out of the Mitchell coach? He nearly lost against Haywood the previous week, when Haywood played a 5-1-5 defense, with corners off 10 yards, safeties 12 and a centerfielder 15 yards deep--and all 5 backing up at the snap. It was into the second half before Cole got Torry to throw short passes in front of the corners and safeties. When we played Mitchell, Torry had some scrambling yards (126 in fact), but the 2 running backs totaled 36 yards and were not a factor. Mitchell certainly gashed Lipscomb between the tackles, but I think Mitchell is at its best when it gets into a spread, gives Torry the ball and the offense and lets him do his thing. Mitchell is not disciplined enough to drive the length of the field with running plays without making mistakes.

As for the coaching, we (Dyersburg) rushed for 392 yards against Mitchell using the midline option, and had 9 runs of over 20 yards. We knew they could not/would not play assignment football. We lost to Mitchell 40-31 because we couldn't stop Torry.

See my post on the Lipscomb-MItchell game to read my comments about how Memphis coaches squander some of the state's best talent--year after year. The unforgiveable failure by nearly all the Memphis teams to develop placekickers costs them in the playoffs every year--Melrose was 2 for 2 on 2-point conversions against Henry County, and Mitchell was 0-3 on 2 point conversions last night.

I respect your opinion on the game but I saw it another way. It was not a sexy ball game but more of a slugfest. I will agree about the Mitchell kicking or a lack of it which may have cost them a chance to win at the end. We asked one of the Memphis area chain gang about kicking, he indicated that the Memphis area teams just don't have and don't develop kickers. Both defenses took the offenses for the most part out of the game. Both teams though were able to punch it in fewer times. On the Fulton comment, Lipscomb will probably have their hands full but the Mustangs will work hard this week and will have a game plan. I doubt Fulton will view this game as a pushover.

Bayron, I can't imagine how you think Lipscomb's defense took Mitchell out of the game when Mitchell had 404 yards of offense--a few more than they had against us (Dyersburg). Our offense had 392 yards rushing against Mitchell--our highest total of the year. I was so astonished at the game and how it was played. As for the 12 men in the huddle on 2 consecutive plays, I saw it at the game, but to make sure, I checked the Lipscomb broadcast which my wife had taped for me.

The Lipscomb announcers caught it and commented on it extensively. This, of course, doesn't mean that Lipscomb would not have scored from the 13 on the following plays. I am not commenting so much on the officials missing this as I am Lipscomb's making the same critical mistake two plays in a row. I would like to see some of the Lipscomb game tapes from the regular season. I thought you miss Elrod and the inside running game so much. How did Holt and Moneypenny manage to run inside against good teams? Any way I could borrow some of the regular season game tapes.

As you know Coach McCadams and I are both from Huntingdon and I think he is a heckuva coach and his record supports that. What I admire most about him last night was his utter honesty with the press after the game. It is often difficult for coaches and fans to practice that.

Bayron, I can't imagine how you think Lipscomb's defense took Mitchell out of the game when Mitchell had 404 yards of offense--a few more than they had against us (Dyersburg). Our offense had 392 yards rushing against Mitchell--our highest total of the year. I was so astonished at the game and how it was played. As for the 12 men in the huddle on 2 consecutive plays, I saw it at the game, but to make sure, I checked the Lipscomb broadcast which my wife had taped for me.

The Lipscomb announcers caught it and commented on it extensively. This, of course, doesn't mean that Lipscomb would not have scored from the 13 on the following plays. I am not commenting so much on the officials missing this as I am Lipscomb's making the same critical mistake two plays in a row. I would like to see some of the Lipscomb game tapes from the regular season. I thought you miss Elrod and the inside running game so much. How did Holt and Moneypenny manage to run inside against good teams? Any way I could borrow some of the regular season game tapes.

As you know Coach McCadams and I are both from Huntingdon and I think he is a heckuva coach and his record supports that. What I admire most about him last night was his utter honesty with the press after the game. It is often difficult for coaches and fans to practice that.

WM: They did outgain the Mustangs, big time, but the Defense made some plays as did Mitchells. What Comes to mind was the two plays where the Mitchell receivers hung on to the ball after Rogers and Lehning laid some wood on them. Probably anybody else that we played this year would have given the ball up. Your description of the sloppyness of the game is what I took exception to. The entire game wasn't...portions were but not as the whole as you have pictured it. Your comments about Fulton licking their chops, well, that will be determined next Saturday. The Mustangs over the years have played teams with more size, more athletes...and Lipscomb has won more of them than they have lost. I recall our game with your guys last year. Coach Counce was feeling and looking pretty...optimistic before the game and after the game...he had the Lipscomb Glaze in his eyes. Do you think that game was sloppy as well and it wasn't even close. Just thought I would ask. Will we see you in the Boro? If so, holler at me. Thanks for coming last night and your help this past week.

Auguelio... I read the Commercial Appeal on line this morning and there were comments about the officiating. Even talked about how Melrose got "robbed" against Henry County last week. I don't know about the refs holding up play in the final 6 seconds but if a team isn't ready for the snap then the ref won't allow the center to snap the ball and have a penalty. This would give the offense another down.

Henry County was the team that had a terrible call against them but they overcame it and won the game. HC threw a flair pass out of the backfield and the refs called it a lateral. The player from Melrose fell on the ball and the gets up and runs 45 yds into the endzone. All the HC players freeze. Even if it was a lateral the player shouldn't be able to advance the ball if he recovered it on the ground.

Did you play football in Huntingdon and what year did you graduate? My sister lives in D'burg. Who you be?.. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Did you know Coach Ward passed away last Saturday?

I listened to most of the second half...DL really pulled a rabbit or something out of their### to win this one.

Like I said last year....I always root for my team and whoever is playing Fulton.

Isn't it about time to beat the Falcons?

If DL doesnt play Muchhhh Betterrrr than the last two friday nights it "aint happening"! DL hit their stride earlier in the season this year unlike the past two seasons playing their best ball games the last 3 games of each season. last nights game was very sloppy by both teams especially Mitchell who would have won if they had kept running the ball instead of passing 3 times for as no-brainer win = no excuse!! too sad for the Mitchell players,all west tennessee fans. Memphis teams rather try for 2 pt conversions after tds costing them dearly in the playoffs year in year out ; that ill never understand ??