Smyrna vs. Independence

After seeing both teams play (and lose) earlier in the year against BA, I believe Smyrna will take the State Championship. Indy has a very young QB. Smyrna has too many weapons. I commend both teams in scheduling DII teams outside of their regional games. Playing the best teams you can find gets you to the big game in the long run!

Leave it to someone from BA to come in here and try to take credit and plug themselves.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont want to get into this one about "touchbacks" but this was ridiculous. i was at the millington game and the only thing he kicked was onside kicks or pooch kicks. indy didnt kick the ball downfield ONCE.

In the first 10 game 85%+ were touchbacks. He is one the field a lot and also the cloder weather has affected the kickoffs. If you can't kick it in the endzone, no sense in kicking it deep down the middle.

This is an interesting tidbit from previous 5A Championship Game since the 2003 game between Riverdale (Home) and Germantown (Visitors) @ MTSU Floyd Stadium. The visiting team has won the 5A Football Championship four straight years in row. This year Smyrna will be home team and Independence will be visiting team. What are the odds of the visitor winning streak continue in 2008 for the fifth straight year or be broken?

You obviously know nothing about blocking. Can't answer for Smyrna, but Indy does not chop. They will cut (legal) but they do not teach chopping (illegal and dangerous). Do you know the difference between the two?

Read it again. I said Smyrna had the chop block called on them twice. Indy had the Low blocks below the knees. I haven't seen too many chop blocks called in all the years total of watching football. To see 2 in one game was what i was getting at.

Read it again. I said Smyrna had the chop block called on them twice. Indy had the Low blocks below the knees. I haven't seen too many chop blocks called in all the years total of watching football. To see 2 in one game was what i was getting at.

I reread it and what made me post was your use of the word "questionable." Why is it questionable tactics to cut on the LOS? Again, I am not talking about Smyrna, since I haven't seen them.

really???

I have watched every smyrna game and they have never been called for a chop block and they were not called for a single penalty against gallatin and I have attached the game stats below for the game.

Game statistics :from the tennessean

[ First downs Rushes Passing Pass yards Fumbles Punts Penalties

Smyrna 18 29-167 18-25-0 228 1-0 0-0 0-0

Admittedly we weren't playing like we are now, but "absolutely horrible" is a little strong. BA, MBA and Franklin are pretty good football teams and make a lot of teams look bad. Stupid team motto? Why is it stupid? Ravenwood had, We believe." Was it stupid? I'll excuse you since you're a Centennial fan. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I guess you weren't on CoachT last December-January. Either that or you didn't see the 50 different threads regarding the true origin of the sacred "I Believe" motto. And maybe absolutely horrible was a little strong, but you got to admit, Indy looked to be heading nowhere fast. In those three games you mentioned, Indy had an average of 40 rushing yards a game, were picking up stupid penalties and committing bad turnovers.

Someone earlier wanted stats for the Smyrna receivers....

Player: Receptions-Yards TDs

Rod Wilks: 74-1,126 18 TD

Cody Hagar: 25-359 2 TD

Will Martin: 21-237 TD

Jesse Torres: 13-118 TD

Jonah Hendricks: 11-243 4TD

Jeremiah Bryson: 11-77 2TD

Brandon Hendricks: 3-31

Justin Martin: 2-19

Kelly Thomason: 2-15

David Sanders: 1-0

These are the total receiving stats. Bryson and B. Hendricks are actually Tailbacks.

Someone earlier wanted stats for the Smyrna receivers....

Player: Receptions-Yards TDs

Rod Wilks: 74-1,126 18 TD

Cody Hagar: 25-359 2 TD

Will Martin: 21-237 TD

Jesse Torres: 13-118 TD

Jonah Hendricks: 11-243 4TD

Jeremiah Bryson: 11-77 2TD

Brandon Hendricks: 3-31

Justin Martin: 2-19

Kelly Thomason: 2-15

David Sanders: 1-0

These are the total receiving stats. Bryson and B. Hendricks are actually Tailbacks.

Well I think we all know who Sonny's favorite receiver is. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Sonny Gray is the real deal. He's such a competitor and a great leader...some of the plays he made against Ravenwood last year were just amazing.

Question:

Although Ravenwood was the 'home' team last year, they used the visitors sideline. Was that just because they had won the game from the visitors' sideline the previous season?

I also think it's cool that he is the lead in the school play...I thought it was kinda weird that Kreager wrote about it, but it's good to see these young men (11 football players, including Wilks, I believe) excelling in other areas.