Smyrna vs. Independence

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't go 'cause unfortunately I bought Predators tickets for that day that are definitely worth more than seeing a team that I have already seen go all the way do it again. And what if they lose? I wouldn't want to see that...but if I had known that Dec. 8th was the day of the 5A State Championship I would have gotten different tickets.

I predict a Smyrna victory for a few reasons:

Experience. The Bulldogs have been on this stage before. The second reason is one that some might not think of: I think Smyrna will play expecting to win this game, feeling like they deserve to be playing in this game. Independence might keep it close for a little bit, but does not have any playoff experience prior to this year. Granted, Ravenwood was in the same situation a few years ago and won. It would be unfair to compare the two. Ravenwood had great athletes on that team.

Smyrna 28-10

I predict a Smyrna victory for a few reasons:

Experience. The Bulldogs have been on this stage before. The second reason is one that some might not think of: I think Smyrna will play expecting to win this game, feeling like they deserve to be playing in this game. Independence might keep it close for a little bit, but does not have any playoff experience prior to this year. Granted, Ravenwood was in the same situation a few years ago and won. It would be unfair to compare the two. Ravenwood had great athletes on that team.

Smyrna 28-10

I guess you have selective memory.

Last year, Smyrna (a relatively inexperienced team when it came to the postseason) took on the defending state champions, who had all of the "experience" in the world.

Then, Smyrna won. So that kind of shoots down your theory.

I guess it would be unfair to compare RHS and IHS...IHS is just a slow, unathletic team that's merely happy to be in the state championship and they're just going to lay down and let Smyrna win their second straight gold ball.

Remember Eagles, it wouldn't be worth it if it was EASY!

i dont think your number of 10,000 fans is quite accurate. at the millington game there was about 8,000. and that was only a semi. indy will be bringing more fans and smryna will bring a lot of fans. i would bank on more that 10 large tho...

Last year, Smyrna vs. Ravenwood (2005 State Champs) had just over 10,000. There are alot of factors.....temperature and rain being one of them. Another is other events going on around the area. The biggest crowd a DI game has pulled since the split has been 14,500 when Oakland played Hendersonville in 1998. Keep in mind that since the game has been pulled from Vanderbilt, attendance has plummeted like a rock. By the way....that 14,500 crowd was at Dudley Field. The biggest on record in Murfreesboro is 12,520 in 2001 when Riverdale played Hendersonville. These crowds are a long way from the 30K+/- the games used to get in Nashville. 25K-32K was normal for a marquee matchup with undefeated teams. Both of these teams have at least two losses, so I don't see record crowds coming to see the results. Nothing against the teams....they are BOTH good teams, but if they were both undefeated, things would be different in terms of crowd.

When all schools were together, and games were played in Nashville, attendance for three classifications was typically 60-70K people. Last year, in 2006 with eight classifications, attendance was just over 31K people. In 2005, total attendance for 8 classifications was under 30K people. People don't go like they used to and the stats show it. 15K will be a big crowd for this game on Saturday nite.

Last year, Smyrna (a relatively inexperienced team when it came to the postseason) took on the defending state champions, who had all of the "experience" in the world.

I guess it would be unfair to compare RHS and IHS...IHS is just a slow, unathletic team that's merely happy to be in the state championship and they're just going to lay down and let Smyrna win their second straight gold ball.

Funny...seems IHS has been dealing with a lack of respect most of the season. And they keep "laying down", yet no one seems to want the victory more.

I guess the thing that confuses me most is when someone that hasn't witnessed a teams recent play can make assumptions about how easy it will be to defeat them. IHS is a heck of a team! All I know of Smyrna is the reputation and what I read here. I think they're pretty darn good too. I also think they'll be in big trouble if they think for one moment that IHS is gonna lay down for them.

Funny...seems IHS has been dealing with a lack of respect most of the season. And they keep "laying down", yet no one seems to want the victory more.

I guess the thing that confuses me most is when someone that hasn't witnessed a teams recent play can make assumptions about how easy it will be to defeat them. IHS is a heck of a team! All I know of Smyrna is the reputation and what I read here. I think they're pretty darn good too. I also think they'll be in big trouble if they think for one moment that IHS is gonna lay down for them.

Anyone getting on here and saying that Smyrna will win this game is crazy. Smyrna has to play this game and has just as good a shot of winning as Independence does. If we could predict the outcome, it wouldn't be important to play the game. I am a die hard Smyrna fan, but both teams need to focus, realize you are the best in the state and that neither team is going to lie down and hand over the win.

Good luck to both teams....BUT GO BULLDOGS....

Anyone getting on here and saying that Smyrna will win this game is crazy. Smyrna has to play this game and has just as good a shot of winning as Independence does. If we could predict the outcome, it wouldn't be important to play the game. I am a die hard Smyrna fan, but both teams need to focus, realize you are the best in the state and that neither team is going to lie down and hand over the win.

Good luck to both teams....BUT GO BULLDOGS....

Any recent wall papers???

Smyrna had been in the playoffs for many years before last year. In fact, I can't remember the last time they didn't make the playoffs. I know that you are an Indy fan, but don't take it personal if my prediction (which you choose to call a theory) isn't the same as yours.

I saw some Independence players at the awards deal today I didn't see a real preppy in the bunch ( that is always the perception if you are from anywhere in Williamson county) as a matter of fact peddigrew looked like he would be right at home riding to the game on Smyrnas bus ( that is a compliment by the way).

what type dbs does Independence have? any shut down corners that can go one on one with Rod?

going from millington and the wing t to smyrnas spread run then throw will certainly a change up.