Smyrna vs. Independence

That reminds me of a QB a couple of years ago by the name of TC Jennings. Not saying one is better than the other because they both are great. I agree that Smyrna has had a tougher road in getting here than Independence, due mainly to the fact that region 5 provides no competition to the best team in region 6 year in and year out (ex. Gallatin and Antioch this year). I will say that east Tennessee football in 5a is somewhat of a joke and west Tennessee football always seems to have a worthy team of making it to the championship game but cannot get past the region 6 opponent for whatever reason. So middle Tennessee does have the best overall talent out of the three sections of the state, including this year which is a down year in high school football at the 5a level by my account and many others.No prediction on the game due to the fact that im batting .250 in the post season but could be a good one but could also be a little lopsided if the Tennessee commitment is not contained.

TC Jennings was one of the GREATS and that is for sure.

All the haters just keep it up, we beat the best west team and you beat the best east team, so we both deserve to be here.As much as the Smyrna offense is explosive, so is Indy's. Their balanced attack will be the difference in this game, but Smyrna will hang around. There is just no stopping Indy; Smyrna had their chance last year and now it's the Eagles' time to bring the ball home. There is no answer for Heckman, and this was evident last night as he led Indy on multiple drives down the field, shredding the defense and controlling the clock. Unless Smyrna has another amazing RB that can run a 4.2 or whatever, I just don't see them winning. But hey, I mght be wrong /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> (I hope not though)(Will save my prediction for later in the week, I'll let all the Smyrna crazies post their ridiculous scores first)

Good for Independence......wonder how Coach Smith is feeling about leaving now?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must have some booster club. According to every team that loses to us, we paid the refs... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

82cat, where do we get all that money to hire our own traveling ref staff?

Champions win like champions and lose like champions.

Good teams don't let refs become a factor in their game plan. They play at a high enough level to factor out the humaness of referees.

GO BULLDOGS

By the way, more wallpapers coming soon.

We got the exact same thing last yr in basketball....that we paid the refs to get to the state tourney. I even set up a thread on here for Ref donations and pledges as a joke b/c it got so ridiculous.

Bottom line.....Smyrna knows what to expect in a big game and doesn't quit even when bad things happen. The best thing was that instead of the offense winning this one.....the defense showed that they were the ones who stepped up and sealed it. That confidence booster for them will prove invaluable next week. Book it.

Disclaimer: Statement void against Lebanon, Brentwood Academy, and Riverdale.

Touche.....and his team also lost at the state baseball tourney too. However, one person does not make a team, and the supporting cast has to do their part too.

BUT....if I were a gambling man, I would put every dime I had on Sonny to bring home the gold simply b/c he has absolutely no quit in him and he has his own personal angel riding shotgun with him every step of the way. He clearly gives Smyrna an edge every time he steps behind center with his yrs of experience, ability, and his phenomenal QB coach.

Seems to me like the qb who has refused to lose this season is alex heckman...... Just throwing that out there!

This is going to be one amazing game!!! I cant wait to go support my team and play a good Smyrna team who deserves to be there just as much as we do.

And before this gets out of hand... will some IHS students/alum..... cough.... please think before they post..

Go IHS!!!!

I cant wait to see this game Saturday in the boro!!

Touche.....and his team also lost at the state baseball tourney too. However, one person does not make a team, and the supporting cast has to do their part too.BUT....if I were a gambling man, I would put every dime I had on Sonny to bring home the gold simply b/c he has absolutely no quit in him and he has his own personal angel riding shotgun with him every step of the way. He clearly gives Smyrna an edge every time he steps behind center with his yrs of experience, ability, and his phenomenal QB coach.

Maybe somebody in the Smyrna know can answer this.... Is Sonny ok? I know that Beardens rush was fearless last night and got to him, but I have never seen him (in just under 2 years of watching him) not get away from a DT. About midway through the 2nd Quarter, I noticed that he was on the training table adjusting what looked to be a bulky knee brace. Is there something wrong with one of his knees, as I have not noticed him wearing one before? Or was it just a "thermal leg warmer" wink?

Disclaimer: Statement void against Lebanon, Brentwood Academy, and Riverdale.

Ok....somebody from Centenial commenting on a team losing. That is funny!

After having Gallatin play against both, I would have to say that this could be another 10-7 game. Both of these teams have the athletes to be here. This game will be DVR/Tivo'ed by several people I'm sure. The Db's from Indy will have to double Wilkes if they are to have a chance against him. The only downside to this is that the Freshman RB can really go. He is a bruiser and has speed. If it stays close it's anybody's game, If somehow this turns into a blowout (which has happened several times in the title games), I would have to go with the Bulldogs and the experience of Shad having won it all last year. Nothing against Indy they really outplayed Gallatin the whole game at least the team that put us out is playing for IT. If memory serves me correctly when Smyrna played Gallatin the ref's called 2 chop block penalties against Smyrna, and the O-line of Indy went for LOW block below the knees of Gleaves to keep him out of the backfield so "questionable" O-line play by both teams could come into play in this game. Either way should be the BEST game of the weekend.

To one of the best games i have ever seen in my years of watching and playing high school football i tip my hat to both Millington and Indy. The speed of Millington was amazing to watch and the heart and determination of Indy was something you only witness once in a while. To every reporter and surrounding fans who have said their season has been nothing but luck its time to take your foot out of your mouth and acknowledge a very good football team. This is no arguement towards anyone this is a statement for the Indy football team. If you were not there to witness this amazing game you should have nothing negative to say about Indy because you missed a battle between two great teams. "Stop Pettigrew, Stop Independence." I guess everyone forgets the explosive talent of 5 to 6 receivers that Indy has not to mention and outstanding sophmore QB (Heckman) who has helped take this team to the STATE game. What everyone has said about Indy from week in and week out only fuels their drive to win. No Talent! Weak Region! Lucky Plays! What makes this team so great is the heart and the will to prove everyone who doubts them and show they can play with the best. Some people say with better talent makes a better team but i beleive a bigger heart is what finishes games and as of lately Indy, just like their motto "Refuse to Lose" People want to say they walked through the playoffs with Antioch and Gallatin well thats why the combined score was roughly 78-18. Had they been closer games then say they arent that good. People say they got lucky with Franklin and Millington, but they were great games where a team who had the will to win and kept fighting came out on top. If it were one point, a last second field goal, or a blowout in the end of the season it is a "W" in the win column and not a single person can take that away from these boys. This State Championship game will be a game no one in Mid Tenn will want to miss due to the fact the two top teams in the state are evenly matched, and have explosive players on BOTH SIDES of the ball. So please you want to degrade Indy by all means do it because it only fuels their motivation to show you, you know nothing of this team and their capabilities to be a State Champ. I have never predicted a win or a score and i will leave it that way because which ever team comes out next saturday on top and shows the more heart will be the true State Champs and thier isn't a person around who can say that either team isnt Deserving of the glory.

Smyrna (11-3)

Indy( 11-3)

Two evenly matched teams to battle it out for the outright champion! Good Luck Eagles! "REFUSE TO LOSE"

To one of the best games i have ever seen in my years of watching and playing high school football i tip my hat to both Millington and Indy. The speed of Millington was amazing to watch and the heart and determination of Indy was something you only witness once in a while. To every reporter and surrounding fans who have said their season has been nothing but luck its time to take your foot out of your mouth and acknowledge a very good football team. This is no arguement towards anyone this is a statement for the Indy football team. If you were not there to witness this amazing game you should have nothing negative to say about Indy because you missed a battle between two great teams. "Stop Pettigrew, Stop Independence." I guess everyone forgets the explosive talent of 5 to 6 receivers that Indy has not to mention and outstanding sophmore QB (Heckman) who has helped take this team to the STATE game. What everyone has said about Indy from week in and week out only fuels their drive to win. No Talent! Weak Region! Lucky Plays! What makes this team so great is the heart and the will to prove everyone who doubts them and show they can play with the best. Some people say with better talent makes a better team but i beleive a bigger heart is what finishes games and as of lately Indy, just like their motto "Refuse to Lose" People want to say they walked through the playoffs with Antioch and Gallatin well thats why the combined score was roughly 78-18. Had they been closer games then say they arent that good. People say they got lucky with Franklin and Millington, but they were great games where a team who had the will to win and kept fighting came out on top. If it were one point, a last second field goal, or a blowout in the end of the season it is a "W" in the win column and not a single person can take that away from these boys. This State Championship game will be a game no one in Mid Tenn will want to miss due to the fact the two top teams in the state are evenly matched, and have explosive players on BOTH SIDES of the ball. So please you want to degrade Indy by all means do it because it only fuels their motivation to show you, you know nothing of this team and their capabilities to be a State Champ. I have never predicted a win or a score and i will leave it that way because which ever team comes out next saturday on top and shows the more heart will be the true State Champs and thier isn't a person around who can say that either team isnt Deserving of the glory.

Smyrna (11-3)

Indy( 11-3)

Two evenly matched teams to battle it out for the outright champion! Good Luck Eagles! "REFUSE TO LOSE"

First of all... longest post ever!

And I want Smyrna footage.

After having Gallatin play against both, I would have to say that this could be another 10-7 game. Both of these teams have the athletes to be here. This game will be DVR/Tivo'ed by several people I'm sure. The Db's from Indy will have to double Wilkes if they are to have a chance against him. The only downside to this is that the Freshman RB can really go. He is a bruiser and has speed. If it stays close it's anybody's game, If somehow this turns into a blowout (which has happened several times in the title games), I would have to go with the Bulldogs and the experience of Shad having won it all last year. Nothing against Indy they really outplayed Gallatin the whole game at least the team that put us out is playing for IT. If memory serves me correctly when Smyrna played Gallatin the ref's called 2 chop block penalties against Smyrna, and the O-line of Indy went for LOW block below the knees of Gleaves to keep him out of the backfield so "questionable" O-line play by both teams could come into play in this game. Either way should be the BEST game of the weekend.

Yes but the chopblock is called once in a bluemoon. And we also got an offensive pass interference call, too. That only fueled the comeback though, Heckman would not be denied the end zone. I would look for the same balanced attack, and Indy to play some zones and mix blitzes to pressure the Smyrna QB. If Indy can shut down Smyrna's air, this could become a blowout in the other direction /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />