Smyrna vs. Independence

He's talking about last four years of the program, first year varsity going 1-9, then Tommy Johnson's death, then narrowly missing the playoffs, to losing their coach (prob. a good thing but many schools wouldn't bounce back as fast), to losing our starting QB, to every game in the play-offs us being picked to loose. for exmple. we wouldn't be able to handle Antioch's athelets. we couldn't get past Franklin's D, NO way we could stop Millington's running game and no way we could win.... but we did. INDY is always underestimated, which is the way they like it. or in other words, overcoming adversity.

I think Millington was the only game we were actually picked to lose, according to fan polls at least.

And I've noticed that we have made the Tennessean a couple times this week, including an article today. Its nice to finally see us get some good press.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know....im thinking senior year and possibly going out back to back champs..its like heck yeah......haha you can tell...my grades have reaaly dropped this six weeks..this week i havent even picked up a pencile im so distracted.....no matter who wins its gonna be a great game

Haha, one of my friends jokingly said that he was going to wear earplugs around school all week, because there was no way he was going to do anything productive.

He's talking about last four years of the program, first year varsity going 1-9, then Tommy Johnson's death, then narrowly missing the playoffs, to losing their coach (prob. a good thing but many schools wouldn't bounce back as fast), to losing our starting QB, to every game in the play-offs us being picked to loose. for exmple. we wouldn't be able to handle Antioch's athelets. we couldn't get past Franklin's D, NO way we could stop Millington's running game and no way we could win.... but we did. INDY is always underestimated, which is the way they like it. or in other words, overcoming adversity.

Adversity is a very overused term. I would say that the most impressive thing that Indy has done has occurred since that inept showing against Memphis East during homecoming. Winning every game since, and playing up to the potential that we all believed they could at the beginning of the year, before the BA game. They have proven themselves as a power in 6-5A, and will be a contender for years to come.

There is no need to reiterate, or try to prove how tough they have been on these message boards. What a coacht poll says, or a poster on a forum says about a team, means absolutely nothing. That in no way is overcoming adversity, because what we say or think on these boards doesn't matter, and is generally disregarded.

hard to believe but in all classes including div II there are 322 teams and only 7 will be crowned champions.

315 other teams that suited up in august would give almost anything to be in these teams place.

don't take it for granted for one minute either team-- enjoy every second of the week before and the game itself.

the true joy is in the journey.

somone noted earlier this was a lot like last year with smyrna now playing the part of ravenwood as defending champ and Indy being the upstart. well there is one miscalculation there, ravenwood returned to defend without their all everything qb tc jennings smyrna retruns to defend with ------ the sam qb that played last year and going back to middle school has lost ------ one post season game in his career.

sonny hs play off record 11 and 1

sonny post season middle school thru hs 13 and 1

Finally saw some film on Indy today and it was about what I expected they spread you out and try a lot of seam routes and wheels and throw in pettigrew running once they get you spread out. They love screens of every type.

It will be a challenge to get it all stopped.

hard to believe but in all classes including div II there are 322 teams and only 7 will be crowned champions.

315 other teams that suited up in august would give almost anything to be in these teams place.

don't take it for granted for one minute either team-- enjoy every second of the week before and the game itself.

the true joy is in the journey.

somone noted earlier this was a lot like last year with smyrna now playing the part of ravenwood as defending champ and Indy being the upstart. well there is one miscalculation there, ravenwood returned to defend without their all everything qb tc jennings smyrna retruns to defend with ------ the sam qb that played last year and going back to middle school has lost ------ one post season game in his career.

sonny hs play off record 11 and 1

sonny post season middle school thru hs 13 and 1

Finally saw some film on Indy today and it was about what I expected they spread you out and try a lot of seam routes and wheels and throw in pettigrew running once they get you spread out. They love screens of every type.

It will be a challenge to get it all stopped.

INDY has pre-sold over 2,300 so far. get ready for the game!

Haha, one of my friends jokingly said that he was going to wear earplugs around school all week, because there was no way he was going to do anything productive.

Haha. Whoever said that must have been one funny guy.

These next two days are going to be intense beyond belief. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

IHS fans are insanely excited for this game. This is the most exciting thing that has ever happened in the few years of this school and every student, parent, and techer who has any school spirit AT ALL will be in the stands at MTSU on Saturday. I hope to see a large crowd and a rockin' atmosphere for this highly antisipated game.

a few notes:

1. QB Sonny Grays 3 year record in playoff/chamionship games 11 wins and one loss. He also was qb for Smyrna middle when they won the mid state championship and were un defeated. His team never lost a game when he was qb at UNA during his youth league days. He is a kid used to wining

2. Smyrnas defense is giving up 9.5 points a game and held cookeville and wilson central scoreless after the half.

lincon county did not cross mid field till the score was 36 to 2 and bearden was held scoreless for 3 qtrs. The Smyrna defense is as much a part of why Smyrna is here as anything else.

3. rod wilks going back to the last 3 playoff games of 2006 has 30 tds. He has scored on receptions,interceptions,punt returns and kick off returns.

4. Smyrnas kicker has made all of his PATS and both his field goals in the last 2 games and more importantly he has hit all of them very well. He was kicking the ball great at practice off the artificial surface at Vandy.

5. No one realizes what Smyrna had to over come to get here this year. Smyrna lost 3 of there 4 starting line backers all seniors. Josh Day the bcbs bowl defensive mvp got hurt during the pre season and never played. Smyrna also lost Carr and Craig. Smyrna now plays 2 and some times 3 sophmors and a freshman at LB.

6. Smyrna starts 2 freshman #22 Bryson at tb ( nearly 1200 yards and 11 tds) everyone knows about but they also start a freshman mlb #38 Deon Meadows who many do not realize even around Smyrna is even at around 200 pounds and 6 ft tall probalby the fastest player on the team.

7. Smyrna has not lost a game away from home since 2005 12 wins and no loses.

For all Smyrna fans there will be a bonfire and pep rally at the school this friday night at 7 pm for the entire commuinity. Everyone is invited be sure to get the word out!

TCB

You know what #1 sounds like to me. MR. Tom Brady and he has a Randy Moss in Wilks

Sorry to interrupt the Smyrna vs Independance thread, but wanted to compliment Smyna on a beautiful stadium, nice people, very large and loud croud.

We heard first hand the Smyrna players were clean and respectful.

Congratulations to Rod Wilkes on being Mr. Football and we will be looking for him to come play in that big orange stadium in our neighborhood.

Good luck to both teams, we know it will be a great game. Don't know much about Independance, but Smyrna is obviously a great team,

and since you are bulldogs as well......

as we ALSO say here in east TN(and I really want to say it just one more time)...GO DAWGS!