Smyrna vs. Independence

Indy actually matched Smyrna in yards and once they started to settle down defensively they gave them a game.

Unfortunately the score was all ready out of reach.

It was 33-0 at one point, but the final was 46-20. So we outscored them and outplayed Smyrna for 3 quarters. The first quarter just happened to be the worst quarter ever played by an IHS team this year. Tough loss to choke down, but hey we are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state, as despite what everyone says about the East being loaded..they did not make it to the Big Game! So you can't be called a better team unless you make it, better luck next year Eagles! And congrats to Smyrna!

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Smyrna. You guys really handed it to us tonight, especially in the first half. The defense did a great job of forcing those turnovers early, giving the offense a short field to go to work on. I was very impressed by Bryson. He hits the hole so quickly and has great field vision. It's unfortunate that he may not get to play his Senior year (not exactly sure on how the age rule works, or when Bryson turns 19), because he is an absolute animal.

As for the Eagles, I would just like to reiterate to them how proud this fanbase is of them, and what they have accomplished. To see where they were, not only two years ago, but at the beginning of this year, and then see where they ended up, is truly remarkable. It was unfortunate that they couldn't get it done tonight, because you never know whether or not you will ever return to this stage, but they have gained the respect of so many people across our region and state this year, something that they should hold their heads high about. I'm going to miss seeing them play next year.

Indy actually matched Smyrna in yards and once they started to settle down defensively they gave them a game.

It was 33-0 at one point, but the final was 46-20. So we outscored them and outplayed Smyrna for 3 quarters. The first quarter just happened to be the worst quarter ever played by an IHS team this year. Tough loss to choke down, but hey we are the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state, as despite what everyone says about the East being loaded..they did not make it to the Big Game! So you can't be called a better team unless you make it, better luck next year Eagles! And congrats to Smyrna!

I wouldn't say that we outplayed them for 3 quarters. We didn't score in the first half, meaning we got outplayed for the first two quarters. Also, by the time the second half rolled around Smyrna's defense was beginning to soften up on coverage. We also couldn't stop their run game to save our lives, hence Bryson being the MVP.

Well back up your post. Like I said the western bracket has won it all before, this I know. But in the eastern bracket there are more teams to contend with. In the east, there is usually 1 really tough team from region 1 (DB, sometimes Jeff Co or Sevier Co), Region 2 has Oak Ridge, Farragut, Ooltewah, Bearden, and William Blount. Region 3 has Lincoln Co and Cookeville. Region 4 has Riverdale, Wilson Central, Smyrna, Lebanon, and LaVergne.

In the West Bracket region 5 never (rare) makes it past the first round and is weaker then Region 1. Region 6 is probably the best in the western bracket with Independence, Ravenwood, Brentwood, and Franklin (but usually their best don't match up skill wise to the best eastern bracket teams). Region 7 usually has nobody minus this year they had Millington who got beat by Independence (which Smyrna handled pretty easily). Region 8 rotates with this year being White Station.

So what is your point? Region 6 has the best setup in the state. They usually beat the Memphis area team and are able to breeze into the big game with little effort and no injuries. The east on the other hand is a battle from round 1. Ask Smyrna how many other teams in the eastern bracket could have played a much tougher game. It is like Ohio State vs Florida all over again

Region 4 Owns 5A football...any of the Region 4 teams would have beaten Indy, even Oakland or Blackman...wow is Indy slow.

Okay sorry, but NO.

Indy played a terrible game. That probably didn't matter, Smyrna is clearly the better team. But you think that they couldn't even beat the bottom feeders in the region? Are you serious? That's a ridiculous thing to say and you know it. I understand that you're just trying to make a point, and I understand that the East is a tougher bracket, but you are out of your mind if you think that those teams would've beaten Independence. I'm sorry, but you are just mistaken.

icould be wrong but i am pretty sure that smyrna out gained indy by 120-150 yds but i am just a little rough on the total yards. oh and bryson is not too old. he's a 'normal' aged freshman.

Well back up your post. Like I said the western bracket has won it all before, this I know. But in the eastern bracket there are more teams to contend with. In the east, there is usually 1 really tough team from region 1 (DB, sometimes Jeff Co or Sevier Co), Region 2 has Oak Ridge, Farragut, Ooltewah, Bearden, and William Blount. Region 3 has Lincoln Co and Cookeville. Region 4 has Riverdale, Wilson Central, Smyrna, Lebanon, and LaVergne.

In the West Bracket region 5 never (rare) makes it past the first round and is weaker then Region 1. Region 6 is probably the best in the western bracket with Independence, Ravenwood, Brentwood, and Franklin (but usually their best don't match up skill wise to the best eastern bracket teams). Region 7 usually has nobody minus this year they had Millington who got beat by Independence (which Smyrna handled pretty easily). Region 8 rotates with this year being White Station.

So what is your point? Region 6 has the best setup in the state. They usually beat the Memphis area team and are able to breeze into the big game with little effort and no injuries. The east on the other hand is a battle from round 1. Ask Smyrna how many other teams in the eastern bracket could have played a much tougher game. It is like Ohio State vs Florida all over again

You mention Region 5 being weak but Region 3 is by far the weakest Region in the state. Region 4 dominates that bracket with ease every year and Region 5 would do the same. Also, last year region 5 had 3 teams advance past the first round. Dickson Co. and Franklin were better then any team region 3 fielded last year and they were both put out by region 5 teams.

So what is your point about Region 6 being able to advance past a memphis area team? In the past seven years there as been as many region 1-2 schools advance to state as there has been region 7-8 teams advance, one. The only difference, the east TN team won while the west team lost

This year the east bracket was definately tougher but on a yearly basis I think they are pretty even.

This year the east bracket was definately tougher but on a yearly basis I think they are pretty even.

I agree that the east bracket was much stronger this year. There were probably 4-6 teams on the eastern side of the bracket that would have beaten Independence. Although in a normal year where region 6 is not in a down year, the west and east sides of the bracket are fairly even. Region 6, unarguably the best region in the west side of the bracket (arguably the best region in the state) was in a down year and could not produce a team to compete with the east team. Region 6 should be back to normal dominance next year if not the year following. Although they still put someone in the state championship game and that is impressive.

You mention Region 5 being weak but Region 3 is by far the weakest Region in the state. Region 4 dominates that bracket with ease every year and Region 5 would do the same. Also, last year region 5 had 3 teams advance past the first round. Dickson Co. and Franklin were better then any team region 3 fielded last year and they were both put out by region 5 teams.

So what is your point about Region 6 being able to advance past a memphis area team? In the past seven years there as been as many region 1-2 schools advance to state as there has been region 7-8 teams advance, one. The only difference, the east TN team won while the west team lost

I already told you I thought region 3 was the weakest. However, it does not outweigh the fact that in the West it seems that only Region 6 & 8 field teams that are tough year in and out. I realize that sometimes a team from the west (Brentwood or Germantown) wins the whole thing. However, they have a much easier road to the big game and that can make a difference with injuries, etc. I just wish it was distributed more evenly somehow. There are many teams in the eastern bracket that are eliminated that would also beat Indy. Sort of like how many SEC team last year would have beat Ohio St in the big game. Don't get me wrong, Indy desrves to be there and played their hearts out. I am just one of those that disagrees with the current setup. The answer; I am not sure. Sort of like the BCS system I guess, the answer to it lingers. Just my opinion, no disrespect, just food for thought. I appreciate you level headed response though. Thanks