Smyrna vs. Independence

An inexperienced Indy team? Are you nuts. WE have 26 seniors that have played every snap together since freshman. We were not inexperienced that is an excuse. Next year we can use that excuse as we will be very down for a year or 2 but not Saturday.Let me state a few facts. All I can say is that I saw Indy play 4 of the 5 playoff games with Millington being the exception. When we played Gallatin and Antioch it was like watching a junior varsity team play agaist my Eagles. Those teams were absolutelu terrible. Now I would like to think that Indy had a lot to do with that but who knows. Maybe we were lucky to be in the State Championship game but to get there it takes a little luck at times. As for Smryna they could have beaten us by 60 the way we played. But you know what when all said and done we were 1 of 2 teams playing in the end.

See that's the problem. I think the Indy team was satisfied by just being there. Smyrna wanted something more than to just appear in it again, and you could tell from the get go. Not taking anything away from Indy they had a heck of a year, but Smyrna's D was just to FAST!

An inexperienced Indy team? Are you nuts. WE have 26 seniors that have played every snap together since freshman. We were not inexperienced that is an excuse. Next year we can use that excuse as we will be very down for a year or 2 but not Saturday.Let me state a few facts. All I can say is that I saw Indy play 4 of the 5 playoff games with Millington being the exception. When we played Gallatin and Antioch it was like watching a junior varsity team play agaist my Eagles. Those teams were absolutelu terrible. Now I would like to think that Indy had a lot to do with that but who knows. Maybe we were lucky to be in the State Championship game but to get there it takes a little luck at times. As for Smryna they could have beaten us by 60 the way we played. But you know what when all said and done we were 1 of 2 teams playing in the end.

Well considering you can only have 11 players on the field at a time, how did they play every snap together???

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry jr. The best State playoff game was against the State Champ Smy and Bearden. Watched Bearden play over the last 6 years. Just moved to H'ville in the last year. Independence was a joke compared to Bearden!

They just had the easy side of the bracket.

The top game last year was against Ooltewah not Ravenwood!

Love football not a certain school.

I am sure the Indy Nation will send Beaden their Silver Ball after reading your post.

Independence a joke, HAHA...tell them something they have not already heard all season long.

I am sure the Indy Nation will send Beaden their Silver Ball after reading your post.

Independence a joke, HAHA...tell them something they have not already heard all season long.

It's already in the mail.

Maybe Rod Wilks can Fed-Ex his Mr. Football award to Andre Sterling, that way the Farragut people can feel better. Then, everybody would be happy.

How about you finally admit rod deserved mr. football he proved that again Saturday.... Hands down the best football player in 5a and Smyrna is the Best team. I couldn't be prouder of my fellow seniors, their is no better way to go out than on top. We showed why we repeated and why we deserved it

smyrnas defense dominates and no one really knows the domination they displayed in the playoffs

they are fast and fly to the ball.

running stats

cookeville 34 for 112 yards (65 came on one run) 7 straight 3 and outs for 4 yards total

lc 29 for 22 yards

wc 46 for 214 yards comleted only one pass and scored one td and was shut out for last 3 qtrs

bearden 26 for 98 yards

indy 21 for 28 yards

wow 3 games under 100 yards rushinG and 2 games ----UNDER 30!! and one game with --MINUS RUSHING YARDS!

turnover ration

smyrna positive 12

15 by opponents - smyrna scored 5 tds and a fg in the last 2 games off turnovers

only 3 by smyrna and only one a fumble return by lc accounted for points

rod ansd sonny deserve a lot of credit but smyrna would not have that gold ball without the defensive performance and they would be the 1st to tell you.

great job defensive coaches and staff,

THOSE PHYSICAL INSDIE DRILLS PAID OFF

Guest workinprogress

sorry jr. The best State playoff game was against the State Champ Smy and Bearden. Watched Bearden play over the last 6 years. Just moved to H'ville in the last year. Independence was a joke compared to Bearden!

Actually Indy played in the best three playoff games. The first came against Franklin where they won with under 15 seconds to go. The second came against Millington when they won with under a minute to go. The last is the one this past Saturday for all the marbles. The year before the best game was the championship.

I am not a fan of any of the championship teams nor the runners up but I appreciate their accomplishments and respect them for it. Each of those teams deserved to be there and each played in the best game of the year. Ten years from now no one is going to remember who made it to the semi finals. Everyone will remember that Smyrna beat Indy, not Bearden.

Pretty classless thing to say.

And it still doesnt put our team any higher. I believe #2 is better then your teams season. And if your team had been better, they would have made their side of the bracket look easier instead of losing in it.

Pretty classless thing to say.

And it still doesnt put our team any higher. I believe #2 is better then your teams season. And if your team had been better, they would have made their side of the bracket look easier instead of losing in it.

Looks like # 2 is good enough for Ind fans. Agains Bearden made it a game and Ind didn't! Bottom line!

Congrats to Smyrna!

Just wondering who the Smyrna fans thought gave them the biggest scare in the playoffs? We know it wasn't Ind!

Well back up your post. Like I said the western bracket has won it all before, this I know. But in the eastern bracket there are more teams to contend with. In the east, there is usually 1 really tough team from region 1 (DB, sometimes Jeff Co or Sevier Co), Region 2 has Oak Ridge, Farragut, Ooltewah, Bearden, and William Blount. Region 3 has Lincoln Co and Cookeville. Region 4 has Riverdale, Wilson Central, Smyrna, Lebanon, and LaVergne.

In the West Bracket region 5 never (rare) makes it past the first round and is weaker then Region 1. Region 6 is probably the best in the western bracket with Independence, Ravenwood, Brentwood, and Franklin (but usually their best don't match up skill wise to the best eastern bracket teams). Region 7 usually has nobody minus this year they had Millington who got beat by Independence (which Smyrna handled pretty easily). Region 8 rotates with this year being White Station.

So what is your point? Region 6 has the best setup in the state. They usually beat the Memphis area team and are able to breeze into the big game with little effort and no injuries. The east on the other hand is a battle from round 1. Ask Smyrna how many other teams in the eastern bracket could have played a much tougher game. It is like Ohio State vs Florida all over again

Of all the teams you mentioned in your post, only Independence had the courage to schedule MBA. Yes, they lost to them, but they still PLAYED them. Congrats to Smyrna for winning their division. Unfortunately, the Poo Bahs at the TSSAA don't provide a means for the 5A champ to play the D-II champ, which would provide a true state champion.

Of all the teams you mentioned in your post, only Independence had the courage to schedule MBA. Yes, they lost to them, but they still PLAYED them. Congrats to Smyrna for winning their division. Unfortunately, the Poo Bahs at the TSSAA don't provide a means for the 5A champ to play the D-II champ, which would provide a true state champion.

Smyrna scrimmaged the big red and we tried to schedule a power house like maryville or hoover but we couldn't come through with it.

SMYRNA STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE 62.3% number one

INDEPENDENCE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE 53.7% number twenty-one