Officiating

devilish

What is the official ruling for injured players on the court? Are the officials allowed to stop the game? If not, why? Thanks.

The rule is that the team of the injured player must possess the ball before the game is stopped. I have seen time when the official did not wait for the injured player's team to possess the ball. As a coach, i didn't have a problem with the stoppage. A child was injured. That is the most important thing to remember. That is the rule however, officials have the, not sure this is a good word, authority to stop the game at any time.

As a rule of thumb, we normally will not stop play for an injured player if it appears a team is about to score. But, if we feel that a player's injury may be of a severe nature, we will stop the game immediately, regardless of what is happening. The ball will be put back in play at the point of interruption. This may leave too much decision making on the part of the officials as to determining what is severe and what is not; but, as of now it works very well and I believe officials know that player health does become the most important part of the game when a player appears to be injured severely.

As a rule of thumb, we normally will not stop play for an injured player if it appears a team is about to score. But, if we feel that a player's injury may be of a severe nature, we will stop the game immediately, regardless of what is happening. The ball will be put back in play at the point of interruption. This may leave too much decision making on the part of the officials as to determining what is severe and what is not; but, as of now it works very well and I believe officials know that player health does become the most important part of the game when a player appears to be injured severely.

As a coach, I have no problem with the officials having the "authority" to stop play for an injured player. Player safety, mine or the opponents, is the utmost priority. The TSSAA officials take a lot of heat from fans for different reasons, but one thing that I can honestly say is that I have not ever had a problem with them stopping play too soon or too late because of an injury. They seem to be on top of this situation very well and I truly believe that all of the officials have the well-being of players at heart and respond appropriately...............

Here is a scenerio that I have thought about. Team A has the ball. Player A for Team A has an injury occur and is hobbling up the court. Player B for Team A throws Player A the ball. Player A is unable to catch the ball due to the injury and the ball goes out of bounds. How does an official handle that situation? Is it Team B's ball? Or do you stop the game for Team A to sub players and then give them the ball back?

Here is a scenerio that I have thought about. Team A has the ball. Player A for Team A has an injury occur and is hobbling up the court. Player B for Team A throws Player A the ball. Player A is unable to catch the ball due to the injury and the ball goes out of bounds. How does an official handle that situation? Is it Team B's ball? Or do you stop the game for Team A to sub players and then give them the ball back?

Team B would get the ball.

If the injury was severe enough, play would have been stopped, and a player subbed.

Once ball is thrown in, it's a turnover.

Team B would get the ball.

If the injury was severe enough, play would have been stopped, and a player subbed.

Once ball is thrown in, it's a turnover.

If the team A player is injured so that he cannot receive the pass; the officials judgement would come into play and most officials would give the ball back to team A at the point of interruption. The officials' judgement would determine if the player is hurt to the point that he cannot participate. The only definite injuries that would stop play immediately are uncontientousness and bleeding; the others require officials' judgement.

If the team A player is injured so that he cannot receive the pass; the officials judgement would come into play and most officials would give the ball back to team A at the point of interruption. The officials' judgement would determine if the player is hurt to the point that he cannot participate. The only definite injuries that would stop play immediately are uncontientousness and bleeding; the others require officials' judgement.

whether the players can catch the ball because of injury is not relevant to which team gets the ball. When the whistle sounds to stop play, where the ball is determines who gets the ball. If team A throws the ball and it goes out of bound before the whistle sounds to stop before the injured player is recognized the ball is given to team B. if the whistle sounds due to the injured player and the ball is control by team A then the ball remains with team A.

whether the players can catch the ball because of injury is not relevant to which team gets the ball. When the whistle sounds to stop play, where the ball is determines who gets the ball. If team A throws the ball and it goes out of bound before the whistle sounds to stop before the injured player is recognized the ball is given to team B. if the whistle sounds due to the injured player and the ball is control by team A then the ball remains with team A.

Actually, "where the ball was" is what determines what happens after the whistle. Remember, the whistle doesn't cause the ball to become dead; it's already dead before the whistle sounds. By rule, you are probably correct, but, I would bet that any coach that has this happen to him would want us to recognize the injured player because it will eventually come back around to happen to his team. I love officiating questions; KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!!!!!