TNFCA ALL-STATE?

onewaytoplay

I am a coach. The coaches who show up vote. I do not know why many don't. The AP All State is also one where sports writers vote, not coaches. I see that as a popularity contest as well. Do not take away from the guys that made it ball calling the team a joke. There are flaws in all systems, just ask the BCS. The schools that have 2 or 3 kids probably have their 2 coaches at the meeting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I belong to this organization. Each team gets two votes. Might want to get your facts straight before commenting. The voting time was changed to Friday afternoon to help with lack of participation. I am sorry you feel this way but the fact is all coaches are sent nomination ballots to be sent in. If the coach does not nominate, the player is not on the ballot.

If you are saying the voting was changed to Friday for lack of participation, do the coaches have to be present to cast their vote or can they mail it in? How many players can a coach nominate?

I am a coach. The coaches who show up vote. I do not know why many don't. The AP All State is also one where sports writers vote, not coaches. I see that as a popularity contest as well. Do not take away from the guys that made it ball calling the team a joke. There are flaws in all systems, just ask the BCS. The schools that have 2 or 3 kids probably have their 2 coaches at the meeting.

One would think that a sportswriter sees more games than a coach would. You only see who your team is playing against. I'll bet Lewis County has two players on this years team. Any takers? They have had since the beginning. In four years Lewis County had two players on an 12 man squad.... 17% of the TFCA all state are from Lewis County every year. I can see two in one year and maybe one every year but not two in the years I've mentioned. Why is this? How many coaches across the state have been down to see Lewis County play or any other team? They don't go to Nashville to play a couple of games every year nor do they go even as far as Jackson.

All I'm saying is several years ago there were a couple of players from one school on the all state team and they couldn't have started for Huntingdon that year. All Region, yes... All state, no way.....

One would think that a sportswriter sees more games than a coach would. You only see who your team is playing against. I'll bet Lewis County has two players on this years team. Any takers? They have had since the beginning. In four years Lewis County had two players on an 12 man squad.... 17% of the TFCA all state are from Lewis County every year. I can see two in one year and maybe one every year but not two in the years I've mentioned. Why is this? How many coaches across the state have been down to see Lewis County play or any other team? They don't go to Nashville to play a couple of games every year nor do they go even as far as Jackson.

All I'm saying is several years ago there were a couple of players from one school on the all state team and they couldn't have started for Huntingdon that year. All Region, yes... All state, no way.....

how can a sports reporter see more games than a coach. each reporter sees one game a week. coaches see multiple teams a week because of film study. reporters can be as biased as any coach as well. how about small town teams with no big time paper around.. what reporter goes to those games.

no system is perfect...

all the young men deserve the credit they recieve. if you have a problem, take it up with your head coach.

Warrior2024... You're not gonna believe me but I just found out that Bobby Sharp Head Coach from Lewis County is the President this year of the TFCA. That sheds a little light on all this don't you think. Could this be the popularity contest you were talking about and coach Sharp lobbies for his players? Wonder if 3 from LC will make it this year? I'm not trying to be disrepectful by any means but the team isn't "bonafide" as they said in the movies.

From what coaches in Knoxville have told me the rules are like this: 1. Each school can nominate 2 players.

2. Each school can have two coaches vote, it doesn't matter if you have 15 coaches, you only get two votes. If some player from Lewis County gets on the team I would bet he gets more than two votes.

I heard these were the selections (not all of them) from 4A: Burnett - Maryville, Douglas - Maryville, Ryan - West, Kitts - Halls, Phillips - Sullivan South.

I do know this for a fact - Coach Julian from Halls was NOT A VOTER - HE WAS AT SCHOOL FRIDAY!

how can a sports reporter see more games than a coach. each reporter sees one game a week. coaches see multiple teams a week because of film study. reporters can be as biased as any coach as well. how about small town teams with no big time paper around.. what reporter goes to those games.

no system is perfect...

all the young men deserve the credit they recieve. if you have a problem, take it up with your head coach.

You don't think Joshua Parott from the Jackson Sun saw more games than Mansfield from Huntingdon or Morris from Milan? Wouldn't you think he talks to more coaches throughout the year than any one coach? During the week don't you think a sportswriter visits schools and talks to coaches personally to get a story for the next week? Wouldn't you think sportswriters write coaches and ask them who the "stars" to watch are before the season starts and then keeps up with their stats?

12 players and only 7 schools across the state on the 2AA all state team is ridiculous, no matter what slant you want to put on it. It flys,sounds, and looks like a duck.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Again we can't wait to see how many players are on the "all-state" team from Lewis County. Maybe if a coach from a school couldn't nominate and vote for his own player would help, don't you think?

Mr. Mustang, maybe you should start with your head coach and see if he nominated anyone. Do you know??? It is the responisbility of the coach to send in the nominations and statistical information about their nominations.

If he sent it in...then they are on the ballot. However, if he didn't send any in there can be only 2 reasons why he didn't send in it: 1) he feels that there are none on the team worthy , or 2) he failed to send them in. You can look at the attendance at the time of the vote in the same light...and as an extention of appathy in our society. Most of the state is within a 3 hour drive of Murfreesboro and the voting took place at 1 PM on Friday...does this not fall under the coaches duties and responsibilitites?? However, I'm sure that not everyone can make it due to other responsibilities or emergencies...in the this case they can still have someone there to represent them.

Mr. Mustang, maybe you should start with your head coach and see if he nominated anyone. Do you know??? It is the responisbility of the coach to send in the nominations and statistical information about their nominations.

If he sent it in...then they are on the ballot. However, if he didn't send any in there can be only 2 reasons why he didn't send in it: 1) he feels that there are none on the team worthy , or 2) he failed to send them in. You can look at the attendance at the time of the vote in the same light...and as an extention of appathy in our society. Most of the state is within a 3 hour drive of Murfreesboro and the voting took place at 1 PM on Friday...does this not fall under the coaches duties and responsibilitites?? However, I'm sure that not everyone can make it due to other responsibilities or emergencies...in the this case they can still have someone there to represent them.

bdawig.... You could be right. I don't know if Mansfield or Pritchard sent in all-state nominations for anyone in West Tennessee. Why couldn't the association mail ballots and ask the coaches to mail them in and have them postmarked before the Friday when they are counted. Probably there are not many coaches in attendence and that is why you only have seven teams represented on a 12 man squad.

2005 President of the TFCA quoted... "Our participation in nominating members to the All-State teams must improve for it to have the validity with other polls across the state". That President was Bobby Sharp of Lewis County.

I not saying Lewis County doesn't have All-State players every few years but to be dominated each year by his players and only 6 other schools is absurd.

Again we don't recognize a player if he makes the FICA all-state team in Huntingdon. Most think it is a joke and has no validity according to what the past president of the association said.

bdawig.... You could be right. I don't know if Mansfield or Pritchard sent in all-state nominations for anyone in West Tennessee. Why couldn't the association mail ballots and ask the coaches to mail them in and have them postmarked before the Friday when they are counted. Probably there are not many coaches in attendence and that is why you only have seven teams represented on a 12 man squad.

2005 President of the TFCA quoted... "Our participation in nominating members to the All-State teams must improve for it to have the validity with other polls across the state". That President was Bobby Sharp of Lewis County.

I not saying Lewis County doesn't have All-State players every few years but to be dominated each year by his players and only 6 other schools is absurd.

Again we don't recognize a player if he makes the FICA all-state team in Huntingdon. Most think it is a joke and has no validity according to what the past president of the association said.

They do mail out ballots...twice during October. The nominations are for your team only...it's not like Mr. Football where you nominate from other teams. As far as not recognizing an all-state team I think that 's a shame because that could be another opportunity for a kid/player from a school. As far as the LC comments about all-state members, if your coaches are there and vote and have their info in then this may not happen...if it bothers you. How do you feel about teams with 2 -3 All-State players on the sportswriters team??? Maybe you'll shouldn't recognize Mr. Football either...because I know that coaches solicit other coaches to write in their player...who they haven't seen play... Let's not recognize the Heisman because it must go to a BCS player.... Your opinions are yours and I respect that, but I believe that if they don't want to participate then it's just like complaining about the political system and the election...get your coaches involved!!!! How??? Badger them and ask them to participate.

They do mail out ballots...twice during October. The nominations are for your team only...it's not like Mr. Football where you nominate from other teams. As far as not recognizing an all-state team I think that 's a shame because that could be another opportunity for a kid/player from a school. As far as the LC comments about all-state members, if your coaches are there and vote and have their info in then this may not happen...if it bothers you. How do you feel about teams with 2 -3 All-State players on the sportswriters team??? Maybe you'll shouldn't recognize Mr. Football either...because I know that coaches solicit other coaches to write in their player...who they haven't seen play... Let's not recognize the Heisman because it must go to a BCS player.... Your opinions are yours and I respect that, but I believe that if they don't want to participate then it's just like complaining about the political system and the election...get your coaches involved!!!! How??? Badger them and ask them to participate.

That's good to know they mail out ballots. I just don't understand how an average of 7 teams can make up a 12 man roster. This is an average. ii know there are flaws in every system but to the life of me I just can't understand the TFCA. Why do they even bother with an all-state team. I don't think that's the purpose of the association anyway. I can see Maryville,Alcoa, SP or any BCBS team with 2-3 players but the same schools make up theTFCA all state team every year. Go back and check it out.

That's good to know they mail out ballots. I just don't understand how an average of 7 teams can make up a 12 man roster. This is an average. ii know there are flaws in every system but to the life of me I just can't understand the TFCA. Why do they even bother with an all-state team. I don't think that's the purpose of the association anyway. I can see Maryville,Alcoa, SP or any BCBS team with 2-3 players but the same schools make up theTFCA all state team every year. Go back and check it out.

You know maybe instead of getting on here and whining about it, you should do something about it. If it is really that big of a deal to you, present yourself to the TFCA and tell them how you feel. No one on here can do anything about YOUR issues with the all state team. Quit critizing this awards system for those that make and support them! If you want someone on the ballot, go talk to the coach about it or join the TNFCA (if you can). They do the best they can do with the nominations. The rest is up to coaches on voting. Obviously your coaches don't make the trip to the Boro to vote so if you are going to jump on someone jump on them. I quite frankly am tired of hearing you whine about this.