Z Plan?

1stdown

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from reliable sources that classification will stay the same with one exception. The multiplier is in great danger of being removed. I fear the loss of it will lead to more rumblings about a split. Tennessee has a good setup currently and the more complaints the TSSAA hears the more they tend to screw it up. I like the current system except the 2A Z plan and don't care about multiplier one way or the other.

We need to go back to the way it used to be. Bring everyone back together but keep the multiplier but just 5 classifications across the board. move some teams from 2A up or down to make the numbers workout or add another classification (6) and let the really big public and private schools slug it out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

According to the Chattanooga Times, the "Z Plan" has gained some momentum lately. I noticed that TSSAA is looking into adding a 6th class for the playoffs. June 10th should be a very interesting day! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

According to the Chattanooga Times, the "Z Plan" has gained some momentum lately. I noticed that TSSAA is looking into adding a 6th class for the playoffs. June 10th should be a very interesting day! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Only now it is called plan B.

Here is and explanation of it from the TSSAA site:

B. Three-class plan is used for football district alignment with AAA being split

into two classes (5A/4A) and AA into two classes (3A/2A) for football playoff

purposes. Class A remains in one class for football due to the large number

of non-football playing schools.

In football (Class AAA) the top two teams from each district (16 districts)

would qualify for the playoffs for a total of 32 teams. The upper half (by

enrollment) of the schools in AAA would be 5A and the lower half would be

4A. The 32 teams finishing 1st and 2nd in each of the 16 districts would be

played in 4A and 5A. The remaining spots in each (4A & 5A) would be filled

with wild cards. There would be 32 teams in 5A and 32 teams in 4A for a

total of 64 in Class AAA. The playoff brackets would then be set. You would

follow the same procedure for AA (2A & 3A). The brackets would then be set

in the same manner as 2A football in 2007 (needs link).

Rationale: Places schools in the same districts in F, Bk, B, S??¦; decreases

travel for schools by using three-class plan rather than five; keeps five

football classes that have similar make-up to present plan.

Go here for the complete TSSAA document for plan A, B, and C. TSSAA Proposed Classifications

However, the Chattanooga paper explains plan B differently. > Chattanooga Times-Freepress Article

From the rumor I heard they have to split each of the 3 classes so they would have 6 classes in football. My question is why not do it for all sports? Aren't there more schools playing basketball and baseball than football in this state?

From the rumor I heard they have to split each of the 3 classes so they would have 6 classes in football. My question is why not do it for all sports? Aren't there more schools playing basketball and baseball than football in this state?

In the written proposal linked above, they only split AAA and AA. A = 1a. That's where the article in the chattanooga paper differs. They come up with A, AA, AAA being split into 1a through 6a for the playoffs which is ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that a team could make the 5A playoffs without ever playing a 5A team doesn't make sense...will they re-district along with this plan? Forgive my ignorance, but the TSSAA is over my head most of the time.

My only concern is that since the final 16 playoff spots will be based upon record, teams won't challenge themselves in non-district games. Everybody is just going to want to face RBS to get a win. I fear that we won't see games like BA-Smyrna, Franklin-McCallie, etc. Those games are major cash cows for the TSSAA, aren't they?

I guess I just don't see the logic in changing around the classification to such a confusing degree. Plus, doesn't it favor teams with smaller districts? Will there be a universal district size? And will the wildcards lead to potential first-round rematches of week 10 games and/or region games (a la Goodpasture-CPA last year)?

This is a major head scratcher. I guess whatever Ronnie wants, Ronnie gets. If the bigwigs are in support of it, there's little any of us can do about it.