Union Co's Coach McBrayer resigns tonight at banquet

UCHSPAtriots

A.E. was ranked #1 going into the play offs when Union Co. played them? Again he took over Jesse's team and went to the play offs and hasn't been since. I do know that much! So did he start at Union Co. in 2004? Was this his 4 th. year? If so he has had a senior class go through and nothing to show for it!

I will agree that the administrative support isn't very good. But he had to know that going in. Money is hard to come by in a county that doesn't have many resources. Fund raising and community relations is an important part of being a head coach in a community like Union Co. Surely he didn't think he would have the financial resources he had as the FRESHMAN coach in O.R. But blaming the Administration for lack of success on the field is a stretch at best. A bad nonsupportive administration may make it difficult to have coaching supplements, equipment, etc...

By the way they put a lot of money into that fieldhouse they have. Wouldn't you say that was supportive of the football program. Union Co. is a tough place to coach. Resources are limited, the community can be skeptical of outsiders, politics is often an issue, and expectations are unrealistic.

Not many people believe in us but we have the talent and we can do it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union County and Gibbs ? What other school in this region lost a coach ?

Rutledge's Mark Hammer retired. Next year the school will be called Grainger High and moving to a brand new state-of-the-art building. Mark Briscoe, the athletic director and offensive coordinator, is the first head coach for the now-named Grizzlies.

I certainly have no dog in this hunt; however, I have a friend of mine who interviewed several years back when it was open. He was from the Chattanooga area and he told me they had a great school facility but the lowest pay for coaches (HC or Assist.) in the state. I know there isn't a lot in the way of resources in a small county like that but one would think you could attract good coaches from Knox County and that area if they offered a little more in pay. Unless they raised the amount, a HC in UN earns about $1500 to $1700 dollars and that simply isn't worth the time or effort. Most schools pay at least that amount for assistant coaches.