Region 3-3A 2008 Favorites & Why

OldBallCoach88

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh not at all I am sure they do, but statistically across the board. The privates win hands down as to being more prevalent at recruiting in that sector of high school athletics.

I promise you statistically that it's not that much different. Most privates don't recruit, unless advertising counts, and most publics don't. But where I live in West Tennessee the publics recruit like crazy...and it's not in Memphis. I think that it's unfair to lump everyone into one pot and say that all privates recruit, for that would be similar to saying that all people that attend rural schools are farmers...some are, but most don't.

With this new format (I get confused) I had intended for that post to couple with dum dums with him asking about Notre Dame. My personal belief is it is naive to think the privates don't recruit.

The privates recruit HARD in Chattanooga. I see it first hand! Howard had 2 freshmen that were recruited heavily by privates and even Red Bank was in the mix. In not fabricating! Look at How Reggie Hubbard left DaleWood and went to Notre Dame before he was kicked out. Adarius Bowman was at DaleWood and ended up at Notre Dame. Dewayne Caldwell and Walter Dozier went to Franklin Middle and Both ended up at McCallie. Now these kids were smart but wasnt the smartest in their classes so why didnt these schools go after the brightest kids. Why just the athletes?

I promise you statistically that it's not that much different. Most privates don't recruit, unless advertising counts, and most publics don't. But where I live in West Tennessee the publics recruit like crazy...and it's not in Memphis. I think that it's unfair to lump everyone into one pot and say that all privates recruit, for that would be similar to saying that all people that attend rural schools are farmers...some are, but most don't.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't think that there is any question the privates out recruit the publics 5 to 1 and I feel that is a conservative number. The privates have avenues that open doors that the publics don't. It allows them to approach people and get away with it. The privates can float a lot of trial balloons at folks that the publics just simply can't get by with. I do agree it is unfair to "lump everyone in the same pot". I really don't blame the privates for doing it, if more of the publics could get buy with it they would do it too. The real problem I have with privates recruiting is when (recruiting) happens it no longer is a level playing field.

Everyone recuits. I was told of a conversation with a coach in a public school watching another public school playing a basketball game and noting that three starters on the other team, his big rival, lived in his zone. Another coach told about a public school in Memphis that won a state championship two years in a row and four of the starters on the team the second year attended other Memphis high schools the previous year. The best recruiting private schools in Chattanooga are McCallie and Baylor and their big advantage is that they can offer schlorships. I teach in a public high school and many years ago a coach asked if I would mind giving three boys transportation to my school if he could get them to transfer to our public school.

The big recruiting tool in Chattanooga are the politians because they are so busy running down the public school system that parents are jumping at sending their kids to private schools. So there has been an increase in the opening of private schools. Also remember that a kid going to a private school that plays in the public sector cannot play if he is on any kind of financial aid. So you have to pay to play for a private school in the public sector. This means eithr the family can afford it or they will be making a sacrifice to send their chid to a private.

Most private schools in the Chattanooga area that play in the public arena are church schools, very small, and have very tight budgets. And, if the truth be known, these schools main selling point is not contacts for a better future but a good Christian based education. Those private schools that have social contacts, at least in the Chattanooga area, play in DII.

I ain't been here for a while, so I'll just write a book to make up for it. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

First, Central football is going to be ok, with our without Jackson. And it seems to me to be aweful insulting to the new QB, if there is on, to say that the drop will be so dramatic. If Central does nothing but fire the OL off the ball, have Watson bust open a hole, and Walker carry behind these guys, it'll be good for 5 plus yards everytime. But, if the opponents pack the line, they'll have the speed of Harrison, Moss, and Simpson that will cost them more then 5 yards. And as for the "D", Central will be stronger there this year. I think that it'll be Howard and Central playing the last game of the year for all the marbles.

As for Jackson playing or not. Remember, last year Central had a player that was expelled for a year (2006) for having a knife at school. At the end of the years expulsion (2007), he was right back on the team. The county and state have rules for how to handle disciplinary problems in place, and once those are met, the student is eligible to play. So, just going on how things were handled in the past, I'd say that Jackson will get a shot under center. Provided that he fulfills the county and state's requirements.

As for recruiting, I'm not sure how things are done in Memphis or Chattanooga, we have no private schools locally. But, from what I've seen, the biggest recruiting tool that a coach or school has is their past record, past players playing in college, and the learning enviroment of the school. The kids look at the first one. Every kid around Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, and South Pittsburg dreams of one day suiting up in one of those uniforms. Every kid wants to play for the best. The parents look at the next two, and consider them as they decide where to send "Jr." And I'd say that these schools rank very high these catagories, or else they wouldn't have the success that they do. Success breeds success, and it also draws players. So, I don't think that recruiting is as prevalent as some think. I just think that successful programs become magnets for players and parents that hope for success and scholarships.

As for Jackson playing or not. Remember, last year Central had a player that was expelled for a year (2006) for having a knife at school. At the end of the years expulsion (2007), he was right back on the team. The county and state have rules for how to handle disciplinary problems in place, and once those are met, the student is eligible to play. So, just going on how things were handled in the past, I'd say that Jackson will get a shot under center. Provided that he fulfills the county and state's requirements.

This is not fair for those kids that spend their summers at practice and them let someone back on the team . The rule was if you don't attend so many days of workouts and 2 a days you will not get a uniform..

This is not fair for those kids that spend their summers at practice and them let someone back on the team . The rule was if you don't attend so many days of workouts and 2 a days you will not get a uniform..

I have to agree. There are a lot of kids that go through those summer 2 a days and all the morning workouts that never see the field. If there is someone on the team that has attended all the same practices and workouts that is better then I am all for playing the best on the team, but in order to set standards and send a message to not only the present team but teams of the future kids that spend the summer in juvy should have to attend more classes not football season. I know I am going to hear negative comments about this post, but the second chance we need to give this kid, is a second chance at finishing his education.

from what i hear Mr. Jackson is working out...doing the exact same thing as the other players. just not at school..and i hear he is working out with some of the other players just not at the school. the punishment said he can't workout or play sports at school.....he is passing with some of his WR just not at charger field....... i see they have found a way around it...LOL

from what i hear Mr. Jackson is working out...doing the exact same thing as the other players. just not at school..and i hear he is working out with some of the other players just not at the school. the punishment said he can't workout or play sports at school.....he is passing with some of his WR just not at charger field....... i see they have found a way around it...LOL

So if a kid that plays another sport or works wants to workout on his on and not with the team that's ok