Individual State Tournament

catsbackr

Catsbackr, I can't speak for the other states, but I can speak about this. There are a ton of bowlers that can't even tell you why they're averaging 200 and up that are. The current conditions allowed by the USBC allow for the oil patterns to be such that it is easy to hit the pocket. I'm old and remember what bowling used to be, before that current situation begin. The reason you won't see a flat pattern in any bowling center is that the league bowlers will complain to the management and not wanting to lose those league bowlers the management will change to an easier shot. TOO many bowlers want to shoot big scores and hold high averages with out knowing how or why they are doing it. I can remember when bowling a 300 was a once in a lifetime feat, now bowlers think they should shoot a 300 every week or so. There's no doubt that the equipment and the allowed conditions have outpaced the original skill for high scoring. I believe like Brian Voss does, that equipment and conditions should be limited and skill should be brought back into the game. Until then we'll just live in what we have and watch kids shoot astronomical scores before they're actually able to understand or explain why. Good luck to you and your bowlers in States it is always a fun time for the kids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no easy answer to the system in place. Yes, we have a young man who averaged 210 for the season, bowling in 6 different bowling centers, that won't make the singles tournament. He is a senior so he won't make the tournament NEXT year. An average of 198 got in last year. It took 214 this year to make the top 4. So the system isn't "fair" to this young man. Life isn't fair so you live with it. A district or regional system would just leave someone else out.

We toughened up our house shot last year and 2 weeks into the season we had bowlers who were averaging 190 the previous season screaming because they were averaging 160 (Their true ability) and threatening to quit. we went back to the pattern from the previous year January 1 to appease them. The only people who should complain about today's score were bowling in 1975. Before anybody learned how to block lanes. If you bowled an honor score after that it should have a Barry Bonds Asterisk by your name.

Our game is what it is, so enjoy your success. It is a competition on like conditions to see who can bowl the best. Comparing yesterday's scores and bowlers to todays players is impossible due to equipment and conditions. Even the pros are not bowling on the same condition on TV that they qualify on if scores were low for the week. they ease up the shot so the TV show produces heroes.

Good Luck to all in the singles and team state tournaments!

Catsbackr, I can't speak for the other states, but I can speak about this. There are a ton of bowlers that can't even tell you why they're averaging 200 and up that are. The current conditions allowed by the USBC allow for the oil patterns to be such that it is easy to hit the pocket. I'm old and remember what bowling used to be, before that current situation begin. The reason you won't see a flat pattern in any bowling center is that the league bowlers will complain to the management and not wanting to lose those league bowlers the management will change to an easier shot. TOO many bowlers want to shoot big scores and hold high averages with out knowing how or why they are doing it. I can remember when bowling a 300 was a once in a lifetime feat, now bowlers think they should shoot a 300 every week or so. There's no doubt that the equipment and the allowed conditions have outpaced the original skill for high scoring. I believe like Brian Voss does, that equipment and conditions should be limited and skill should be brought back into the game. Until then we'll just live in what we have and watch kids shoot astronomical scores before they're actually able to understand or explain why. Good luck to you and your bowlers in States it is always a fun time for the kids.

BigDog,

I am a new member on this site, and was reading through some of the recent posts, and it is nice to hear someone that has seen the game progress. I for one never got to bowl in the time when the lanes were tougher. I did however bowl at a pretty high level. I have studied the game probably more than most. I have done alot of work with lane patterns and lane oils,and wondered when and where it was that you bowled on flat patterns. I have heard of guys bowling on flat patterns but have never had the oppurtunity myself. I do know that there are pattern issues in bowling and I am pretty sure that they will never be fixed. I know that good bowlers will beat bad bowlers on whatever they bowl on. We are working with a game that rewards the ability to repeat. It would be pretty hard to convince me other wise. All a flat pattern will do is bring the bad repeaters closer to the good repeaters. I dont think that is a good thing.

The solution is simple. All houses are different, season averages are not created under fair and equal conditions. 5 or 6 bowlers per team (coaches choice) should be eligible for individual district tournaments. The winners there progress to regionals, the winners there progress to sectionals, then onto states. Everyone bowls in the same house to progress towards states.

The solution is simple. All houses are different, season averages are not created under fair and equal conditions. 5 or 6 bowlers per team (coaches choice) should be eligible for individual district tournaments. The winners there progress to regionals, the winners there progress to sectionals, then onto states. Everyone bowls in the same house to progress towards states.

With all the different teams throughout the state, there is no way this would be possible. Besides, everyone bowls on the same house at the state tournament. The way the individual tournament is selected is fine. An 8 person individual state tournament would not be very interesting.

With all the different teams throughout the state, there is no way this would be possible. Besides, everyone bowls on the same house at the state tournament. The way the individual tournament is selected is fine. An 8 person individual state tournament would not be very interesting.

Although, it might not be very interesting, if your team bowls in the team championship and you qualify individually, and you make it to the finals in both, you will bowl 24 games in 2 or 3 days. That's a lot of games on young arms.

Then again, an 8 person individual championship might be very interesting.

Every district needs to be represented. People who averaged in the 180s and 190s qualified for the semifinals at singles state last year. If there were a requirement of a 200 average, then many inflated averages from easier houses would make up the participants in the tournament. If you cannot average higher than 4 other people in your district then you should not be at the state tournament. You have enough chances to prove yourself throughout the year. Yeah, you want to find the best bowlers in the state tournament, but the best bowlers prove themselves through averaging in the top 4 and bowling their best at the tournament. If you are 5th or 6th, you need to wait until you get better.

I went back and reread this post.

No, every district absolutely does not need to be represented.

Last year in Boys individuals you had 11 kids averaging less than 170 qualify for the State singles. In the State Boys singles, you had 10 boys shoot 4 games and average less than 170. And these guys should be in the State Tournament?

I went back and reread this post.

No, every district absolutely does not need to be represented.

Last year in Boys individuals you had 11 kids averaging less than 170 qualify for the State singles. In the State Boys singles, you had 10 boys shoot 4 games and average less than 170. And these guys should be in the State Tournament?

You just don't get it. Many districts bowl on easier patterns; so a 210 in one district could be equal to a 185 in another district. Some people averaging under 170 make the tournament, but that's what has to happen for the tournament to be fair. They could be better than some averaging 210 anyway. THERE ARE ALWAYS TEAMS TOO THAT SHOULD NOT BE THERE. It is how the tournament works. Other regions are weaker than others. If you cannot average higher than 4 other people on the same patterns...you should not be able to compete for the individual title.

You just don't get it. Many districts bowl on easier patterns; so a 210 in one district could be equal to a 185 in another district. Some people averaging under 170 make the tournament, but that's what has to happen for the tournament to be fair. They could be better than some averaging 210 anyway. THERE ARE ALWAYS TEAMS TOO THAT SHOULD NOT BE THERE. It is how the tournament works. Other regions are weaker than others. If you cannot average higher than 4 other people on the same patterns...you should not be able to compete for the individual title.

Chris Is right some bowlers do good in some houses and some do good in all houses.I like 2 call them alley rats cuz they can only bowl there unless ur me then u can everywhere. Thats right tha broken pinky aint stopped me and tha scores are tha same if not higher then before so David Daughtry can stop saying i'm not bowling in state.Ima show ya how 2 bowl like i waxed that house in Top 5 and i will do tha same on tha 24.

p.s. Shout out to Brandon Barnes and his weak 299 on 1/8/08.That Darn 3 pin.Ur weak and ima wax u like i did in tha junior gold qualifer,no wait that wasnt u jk hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha we'll represent tha state good up at nationals

much love and god bless,Stephen Roberts

I don't get it?

I highlight a part of your post above. I'm not talking about TEAMS! All of the teams at the State tournament deserve to be there. They have gone through District, Region and Sectional tournaments. They definitely deserve to be there.

I am talking about INDIVIDUALS! Not teams. Individuals do not go through any of the above. No Districts, no Regions, no Sectionals to get to the State. Some Districts/Regions have very, very few teams tssaatherefore very, very few individual bowlers. But, each District is still represented at the State tournament. That's wrong. Earn your way to the State like the teams do.

Look at the classification list and see what you get. Remember, each District is represented at the state by 4 individuals.

Forget the teams, the teams do it the right way.

I don't get it?

I highlight a part of your post above. I'm not talking about TEAMS! All of the teams at the State tournament deserve to be there. They have gone through District, Region and Sectional tournaments. They definitely deserve to be there.

I am talking about INDIVIDUALS! Not teams. Individuals do not go through any of the above. No Districts, no Regions, no Sectionals to get to the State. Some Districts/Regions have very, very few teams tssaatherefore very, very few individual bowlers. But, each District is still represented at the State tournament. That's wrong. Earn your way to the State like the teams do.

Look at the classification list and see what you get. Remember, each District is represented at the state by 4 individuals.

Forget the teams, the teams do it the right way.

Look, I understand you're talking about individuals. And thank you, I think I know more about the state tournament, seeing as I have qualified two years, whereas you are only a bistandard. And no, there are teams that always shoot well under 3000 pins at the state tournament, so they should not be there. Every district has to be represented. Any averages from 170 up can do well at the state tournament.

Look, I understand you're talking about individuals.

Then why do you insist on bringing up teams over and over and over again.

And thank you, I think I know more about the state tournament, seeing as I have qualified two years, whereas you are only a bistandard.

You qualifying for the State for 2 years (and congrats on that) does in no way make you any more qualified to discuss the set up of the State INDIVIDUALS than I am. I have been to the State, this will make 3 years straight, watching our teams win 2 times. I am very familiar with the State tournament.

a bistandard

Huh???

And no, there are teams that always shoot well under 3000 pins at the state tournament, so they should not be there.

There you go with the TEAM thing again. I'm not talking about teams.

Any averages from 170 up can do well at the state tournament.

That is just a plain ridiculous.

Anyway, the very best of luck to you and the rest of the qualifiers this year.