Wartburg vs OZ

catmommy

This has nothing to do with the Wartburg vs Oz game other than I've got a question about the Christopher girl. I saw her play against Kingston and just about every time she shot the ball, she fell to the floor. Does she do this all the time? Did she do it against Wartburg? I mean, there were times when no one was even close to touching her and she would shoot and then fall to the ground. Is this her attempt at trying to draw a foul? If it is, she should definitely quit!! I dont think they called a foul anytime because she fell to the floor. Does anyone think college scouts like this kind of play? Oz fans, dont get me wrong, I think she is a tremendous player. I've even debated with friends about her ability when they dont think she is good enough to possibly play DI, I've always said I thought by the time she graduates, she would be looked at by several DI schools. I've never seen her do it in previoius seasons so I just dont understand why now. Christopher has way too much talent to be using mickey mouse tactics to try and draw a foul. She should play like she's capable and quit with the little league games.

AMEN!!! What ever happened to FOLLOWING YOUR SHOT???? Thats fundamental basketball!! If you want to spend that much time sitting on the floor, play monopoly!!! I do agree with "bigdog" though, Christopher is talented!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed the thread has gone this long without a single post from a Oliver Springs fan. Falling to the floor while the ball is falling through the net?!?! Maybe she wants to sit for a minute and admire her work. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Most of the time she it appears she is getting bumped, since the only scouting report that has a chance says you must be physical with her. I mean unless she is breaking away for a open lay-up, I haven't seen too many instances where she doesn't have someone right up in her "grille"! Maybe she hits the floor more this year because teams are "intently" trying to stop her......and I do mean intently. Doesn't Summitt have this problem with CP3 this year. (you know excessive fouling)

I don't know, but I would bet a lot of money, that Kayla has went to the FT Line more than any other Lady Bobcat this season. Instead of watching her fall, maybe you should examine the bump or nudge that caused it!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazam /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm amazed the thread has gone this long without a single post from a Oliver Springs fan. Falling to the floor while the ball is falling through the net?!?! Maybe she wants to sit for a minute and admire her work. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Most of the time she it appears she is getting bumped, since the only scouting report that has a chance says you must be physical with her. I mean unless she is breaking away for a open lay-up, I haven't seen too many instances where she doesn't have someone right up in her "grille"! Maybe she hits the floor more this year because teams are "intently" trying to stop her......and I do mean intently. Doesn't Summitt have this problem with CP3 this year. (you know excessive fouling)

I don't know, but I would bet a lot of money, that Kayla has went to the FT Line more than any other Lady Bobcat this season. Instead of watching her fall, maybe you should examine the bump or nudge that caused it!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazam /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Your comments are assinine!! She's a good shot but she missed quite a few against kingston and was never even touched. Thank goodness the refs didnt fall for her act. Maybe her mom should be teaching her to follow her shot instead of waxing the floor with her butt.

bulldogplayermom, you are pretty spot on with your observations, except for one......and of course this might ruffle up a whole new topic. You said Christopher is quite possibly the best player ever in 4-a, and while I believe she is truely a great player, I don't think she is the best ever......that leaves too many deserving players out there. If you merit players by their accomplishments at the high school level, one could certainly make a case for Brynae Laxton of Oneida in that catagory. She had three POY's, four all-dist., four all-region, two region MVP's, helped the Lady Indians secure a their only State Title (she was voted championship MVP), two time all-state, and signed with the Lady Vols. Kayla may very well surpass those allocates, but she will be quick to tell you the State Title is going to be a tall order. (her chances last year were a little better) Anyway, my point is there are a lot of great players that have come from the various schools in our area, Kayla is clearly the best right now. Wartburg did a good job the other night against the bobcats, they are progressing nicely.....it looks like. I was pretty sure Jason would work out in the long run.

Just my two cents, Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Great post. While Laxton had a great high school career at Onieda ( she was a starter in HS in the 8th grade), she played a reserve role at UT playing 5-10 minutes max. I thought she was a lot better player than that as she had a good freshman year at UT when the Lady Vols won the national championship including some nice clutch 3nd half shots in the national championship game, but got lost in the shuffle when Tamika Catchings and Semeka Randall came into the program at the forward spot. Laxton didn't play her senior year and I believe graduated with a 4.0 GPA from Tennessee. While every girl in tennessee wants to play for UT, I think many prospects in the state should look at where they fit into the program. If Laxton goes to Clemson, Georgia Tech, UVA, or a good program that fit her style of play, she would have been an all conference player.

Last but not least, Onieda had another great player who was absolutely special and certainly one of the best talents in Tennessee High School History. Kerry Boyatt averaged close to 30 points a game and 12 rebounds a game. She almost scored 70 points in one game back in 1979. She went on to Clemson where she waqs named ACC Freshman of the year and made 1st team all ACC as well. She was named to some All AMerican teams while at Clemson leading the Lady Tigers to the NCAA tourney during her time as a Lady Tiger.

Boyatt played against outstanding competition in the district against powerful Oliver Springs and Oakdale teams. Oakdale won the district that year fielding something like a 3 loss team who had a player that made sports illustrated for classroom and athletic accolades. Oliver Springs coming in from AA that year was known as possibly East TN's best AA program along with South Greene and Meigs county. The district was loaded with type flight talent headed to many schools and it was safe to assume many of the district teams were capable of winning surrounding AA districts. Oneida beat OS in Oneida by 8 or so with boyatt putting on a show. OS came back to beat ONeida in OS On a halfcourt shot by one of the most underrated PG is OS's storied traditions who went out to some west coast school to play collegve ball. For some reason, Oakdale won the district, yet OS pulled off the upset in thr district semifinals against the Eagles. OS behind a great performance bya Sophomore TOnya Lively who was a future Carson Newman Standout and d current Clinton Head Coach and great rebounding by freshman Jennifer Fortner who later played at Roane State and MTSU and current Clinto coach tonya Lively Oliver SPrings negated another eexplosive performance by baoyatt and won the district championship. point performance. Of course, the district went 3-1 against the 1-A teams i in upper East Tennessee the regions 1st round games. That set up Oneida vs. Oakedale and Oliver Springs vs. some upper east tn high school team who was #1 in their district that barely beat 2-a's 4rth place team. The shock of the night was again how easy Oneida beat Oakdale., Oakdale dominated the regular season and Oliver Springs and Oneida beat Oakdale when it mattered. OS went on to win it's game destroying the upper east tn team. This set up another Oliver Springs vs. Bpyatt and company matchup for the regional championship. Boyatt stole the show and possibly scored 40 points leaving OS defenders ( many who played college ball later when OS moved to AA). disorganized.

Oneida went on to host the substate and advance to MBORO. OS traveled to Chattanooga Boyd Buchanon for the 2ns strait year in the substate and lost.

While Laxton, Christopher, and many of the other great players in district, Boyatt has to be included. She was a player that stood out and made other teams in the district realize there was a difference between good players who were assessed as being great because they truly rarely get to see how one player dominated a game in years when the district was of higher quality than most AA districts

WOW!! 9 of 16 against us. That is over 50% and people intently trying to stop HER all night long. Not bad at all! Sure am glad she did not shoot better like she usually does or she would have had 40 or more! I am sure her mom teaches everybody to follow their shot and you do not see her downing other great players cause she is better than your daughter jacketdad! Nobody can say that a player just falls, the only one that can know that is the player! Why would you fall for no reason when there is a chance of scoring 2 points? Her mom is harder on her that anybody on the team if you just set back and watch you can see that. Your daughter is a good player and I am sure she is not perfect either is she or is she? There is no player that is so why bad mouth them!

I think the Jackson girl for Onieda was as good as kayla I would put them in the same class but Boyatt and Laxton was a step ahead of them they had it all Kayla is a great ball handler and Jackson could shoot the ball with any body from any were with saying this lets all agree all these young ladys could carry a team on there backs to greatness and I am sure there are others but these are the ones that stand out the most

I think the Jackson girl for Onieda was as good as kayla I would put them in the same class but Boyatt and Laxton was a step ahead of them they had it all Kayla is a great ball handler and Jackson could shoot the ball with any body from any were with saying this lets all agree all these young ladys could carry a team on there backs to greatness and I am sure there are others but these are the ones that stand out the most

Having spent several years in Morgan Co. as an assistant, there are two players I remember ---Jackson and (Donald) Sexton, both of Onieda. To say that both could play would certainly be an understatement.

I suppose the one single factor that seperates all these players mentioned is the Gold Ball. I do not deny everyone of the players we have mentioned exhibited qualities that make a player "great". Only Laxton's team was able to secure the big trophy. Had Boyatt not been injured prior to the State Tournament, her group could have accomplished the feat also, IMO. Kayla and Crew had a great chance last season, but it will take quite an effort for them to reach the same plateau this year. Jackson got there (state) three time, but had little to show for it. Does the Gold Ball factor weigh much in this group of outstanding players? If you lined them up in their prime, who would you take? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I honestly would go with Boyatt for this reason: She could influence the game more from her position as well as any of them. Good on the drive, good behind the arc! Made everyone around her better. Can't ever recall her having a bad night. (she was ALWAYS ready)(and I say that with great respect for the others!) FT was automatic. Good defender. Smart as a whip! (basketball smart) Could do just about anything with a basketball except dunk! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

WOW!! 9 of 16 against us. That is over 50% and people intently trying to stop HER all night long. Not bad at all! Sure am glad she did not shoot better like she usually does or she would have had 40 or more! I am sure her mom teaches everybody to follow their shot and you do not see her downing other great players cause she is better than your daughter jacketdad! Nobody can say that a player just falls, the only one that can know that is the player! Why would you fall for no reason when there is a chance of scoring 2 points? Her mom is harder on her that anybody on the team if you just set back and watch you can see that. Your daughter is a good player and I am sure she is not perfect either is she or is she? There is no player that is so why bad mouth them!

My gosh, I see you can read, not sure you comprehend what you're reading though. Did you not see the statements I made saying how good I think she is? I made several statements regarding what a good player she is, however, anybody that watched the O.S. - Kingston game, knows darn well she was falling on purpose in an attempt to draw a cheap foul. Evidently you disagree with that, thats fine, you're entitled to your opinion. Just so you dont misunderstand me again, let me make it perfectly clear, I think Kayla is a tremendous basketball player, I just dont understand why she spends so much time falling when she could be following her shot and maybe getting a second followup shot if and when she misses. As for being better than my daughter, how can you compare them, they dont even play the same position. Evidently you're one of those parents that think as long as you're scoring a bunch of points, you're the best player.

Kayla has a 21 point per game avg. as of right now, and was named the Knox News Sophomore of the year last year,after leading her team to the state championship game. As far as I'm concerned she can fall on her butt all night long!! with those kind of results. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Just to put this conversation into perspective, there are many great Oliver Springs players who can't be listed in this group because they played in AA basketball. OSHS has had players have good to great careers at Divison 1 schools such as Charlotte ( Claire Mollison ranked as one of the top 50 players in the country), MTSU, Chattanooga, along with Division 2 powerhoues Carson Newman, aand many other schools such as North Alabama, Northern Kentucky, and so forth during OSHS playing in AA/

Also, it should be noted that Kayla Christopher and her Oliver Springs teamates play a non district schedule that a lot more difficult than the reamaining district Class A teams combined. Just look at it's schedule this year.

Knowing that, Kayla Christopher and her outstanding teamates still have an opportunity to play for a state championship this year. THeir win over Knoxville Webb which was ranked the nation's #17 team is an indication when the Lady Cats are firing on all cylinders they can play and beat any team possibly in America.

With that being said, Kayla Christopher is certainly on the same level as Byrnae Laxton, Sexton, and so forth. In saying that, people that didn't see Boyatt play in person missed what was probably one of the greatest basketball players in Tennessee's high school history. Kids asked for her autograph after games. She drew huge crowds. It took a great performance by Oliver Springws ( who had 5-7 future college players on it's roster) to beat her team twice Boyatt's senior year. She got the last laugh in the regional championsip in Greenville as she gave one amazing performance.

As much bias as I have for giving Oliver Springs and it's players their due, it's hard to ignore what was possibly one of the best 5-10 Tennessee high school basketball players of all time who didn't have the same supporting cast as very talented Oliver Springs and Oakdale teams in 88 and 89.

Boyatt was in a league of her own and the district was by far the most entertaining and talented probably of all time.