The Waverly Tigers and The Triplets

concerned22

I grew up in Waverly, attended Waverly high, played basketball there and was lucky enough to haved played college basketball. I still continue to watched just about every home game and have for past 20 years.

I have tp say that I'm very excited about this team . Waverly has some very fine ball players, some of the best to come through the school in years. Most nights they are lead by their two starting guards and small forward. They also get strong play from a rotation of players at the power forward position. They are a little smallest and undeveloped at the center position but I think by next year they will show a lot of improvement.

This year they have made some noise and will continue to do so, but next year the triplets as I like to call them, (Justin Vogel, Cody Gilbert and Ben Leonard) will lead this team to a division title. Not to take anything away from the other players because without these guys the triplets could not do what they do, but these 3- players have a mix of talent that screams out championship. These 3 guys look like they been playing together since birth, they know where each other is on the floor at all times, and they play as if their brains are connected. Below is my breakdown of what i see in them.

SF -Justin Vogel = points, can shoot from anywhere on the floor and has never seem a shot he didn't like , he has good ball handling skills and knows how to play the game. He's the youngest of the three but you would never know it.

SG- Ben Leonard, another sharp shooter that we kill you with a 3, or drive the baseline and pull for a 2, Ben also is a great guy with the ball, he makes very few mistakes and you can see he loves the game. He works hard every game and leaves it all on the court. Bens older brother played for Waverly and was a good player himself. Look out JL little bro is making a name for himself.

PG- Cody Gilbert, This is the engine that makes to train go, he is the most unselfish high school player I have seen in a long time. He could lead his team his scoring most nights but prefers to keep his team mates involved with a steady flow of passes that are as sharp and on time as you will ever see from a high school player. His ball handling skills are as good as they come, and his court vision and passing skills are that of a much older player. With all that he still manages to score close to 10 points per night and more when needed.

My only concerned is the coaching staff , thier coach who also attended Waverly High and was a above average player. But there contnues to be unrest in the stands over a rumor that he pulls players out of the game if they get close to tying of breaking one of his scoring records that he holds at the school. From my view I think he has done a ok job with this group, and I think he knows and sees the talent has and will continue to try to get the best out of them each night. I have watched him play and coach, does he have a big ego? YES but I don't think he would cost his team a win just to keep his record alive.

At least I hope not.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes those three guys mentioned are great players vogel isnt as sharp as your makin him seem tho...he is young and that is the only thing that is hurting him this year because hes goina have to learn how to slow down and pay attention to whats goin on...and about the coach, hes been here 4 years now and i havent seen anything out of him that has impressed me and many have talked about it as well and agree, coach k is doin a better job this year it seems but there still is a lot of work needed but lets hope the tigers can pull some more surprises this year and win many more games...

I agree, this is a talented team, but size will hurt them in the long run. Now whether they win a district championship or not only time will tell. As far as the coach, he is doing better and I would hope that he wouldn't do that. If so, it would be a sad day in sports at Waverly Central or anywhere. Records are made to be broken and I think it would be an honor if my record was broken while I was coaching that kid.

Justin Vogel (14 ppg) is the best of the three in my opinion. And then comes Ben Leonard (13.1 ppg). Cody Gilbert (7 ppg) is a good role player as well as Jeff Jackson and Tyler Fuller. But we all know that it is going to take more than shooting threes to win a championship. You have to be able to rebound, stop the other team's outside shooting, and inside game. Also, there is a need to stay humble. Over confidence has killed a lot of players.

there's one thing for sure, Coach Rawlings has these guys playing hard every night and there is no quit in them. They will win several more this year and next.

I grew up in Waverly, attended Waverly high, played basketball there and was lucky enough to haved played college basketball. I still continue to watched just about every home game and have for past 20 years.

I have tp say that I'm very excited about this team . Waverly has some very fine ball players, some of the best to come through the school in years. Most nights they are lead by their two starting guards and small forward. They also get strong play from a rotation of players at the power forward position. They are a little smallest and undeveloped at the center position but I think by next year they will show a lot of improvement.

This year they have made some noise and will continue to do so, but next year the triplets as I like to call them, (Justin Vogel, Cody Gilbert and Ben Leonard) will lead this team to a division title. Not to take anything away from the other players because without these guys the triplets could not do what they do, but these 3- players have a mix of talent that screams out championship. These 3 guys look like they been playing together since birth, they know where each other is on the floor at all times, and they play as if their brains are connected. Below is my breakdown of what i see in them.

SF -Justin Vogel = points, can shoot from anywhere on the floor and has never seem a shot he didn't like , he has good ball handling skills and knows how to play the game. He's the youngest of the three but you would never know it.

SG- Ben Leonard, another sharp shooter that we kill you with a 3, or drive the baseline and pull for a 2, Ben also is a great guy with the ball, he makes very few mistakes and you can see he loves the game. He works hard every game and leaves it all on the court. Bens older brother played for Waverly and was a good player himself. Look out JL little bro is making a name for himself.

PG- Cody Gilbert, This is the engine that makes to train go, he is the most unselfish high school player I have seen in a long time. He could lead his team his scoring most nights but prefers to keep his team mates involved with a steady flow of passes that are as sharp and on time as you will ever see from a high school player. His ball handling skills are as good as they come, and his court vision and passing skills are that of a much older player. With all that he still manages to score close to 10 points per night and more when needed.

My only concerned is the coaching staff , thier coach who also attended Waverly High and was a above average player. But there contnues to be unrest in the stands over a rumor that he pulls players out of the game if they get close to tying of breaking one of his scoring records that he holds at the school. From my view I think he has done a ok job with this group, and I think he knows and sees the talent has and will continue to try to get the best out of them each night. I have watched him play and coach, does he have a big ego? YES but I don't think he would cost his team a win just to keep his record alive.

At least I hope not.

Your reaching with a district title. Especially with Harpeth and Sycamore in the district.

At least I hope not.

WOW!!!! What a post? Now let's look a little deeper.

1. This is your first post on Coach T.

2. You joined Coach T today.

3. Your very first post has makes references to negative comments others have made about the head coach, and of course you feel he has done "ok."

So I would say you are either

1. A disgruntled parent with a delusional evaluation of your son.

2. A disgruntled member of the community taking his shot at the head coach.

3. Just plain clueless.

4. Or on something.

So I don't know what your issue is, but do us all a great big favor and find some other ax to grind, or just say no to whatever it is your taking.

P.S. Don't go away mad, just go away.

hhsnumber1, how young are HArpeth and Sycamore. Waverly has no seniors.

Well Harpeth loses quite a few seniors from this class.. The most that I have ever seen in one class from Harpeth. They return however Trey Caruthers, Kendrick Jones, Perry Horkins, Lathan Turner, Colin McMullin(he is a freshman this year; you will hear a lot from him next year), Dakota Seagraves(should be a defensive powerhouse by his junior year if not next year), then they have a great freshman class coming up which includes three I assume will see quite a bit of playing time next year. Not because Harpeth will be low on players, but just based on there abilities. These three are Jess Morris, Travis Tice, and Riley(Raleigh) Plunkett. Plunkett from what I hear should be fighting for a point gaurd spot as a freshman, while Tice and Morris could see some playing time as well.

Sycamore on the other hand will return some good players as well... They return all there inside presence with Shane Staggs, Travis Dempsey, and Chase Kilgore. They also will have there floor general who is about to start getting some crucial playing experience that will only help him in the long run in Keenan Froedden. Then they had Michael Hoard and Jacob Stone who could see some good playing time. They also have a pretty good freshman class if I am not mistaken.

Harpeth and Sycamore will not have a real down year. This year is a "down" year for Harpeth right now and they are like 13-6. Sycamore is having a mediocre year at 12-5. They both reload amazing every year, and should continue to finish 1 2 for a few years with Waverly sitting right behind them. From what I have heard from quite a few people, Waverly is being talked up a lot!!!

I think concerned22, with all your gathered knowledge and experience, should be the Waverly coach. Not the coach in the stands, but really the coach on the bench.

You could give a real test to your "Rose Colored Glasses."

The Tigers have shown improvement this season. They have been competitive in more games, won several games. But if you think their talent level is up to par with the powers in 11AA, or many of the teams outside the district that they schedule, I respectfully disagree. If the talents you recognize were there, they would be beating the likes of Houston County, Hickman County, and Fairview, even if concerned22 were the coach.

One exasperating job of a coach, is to get their players to play hard and be attentive to your coach and the details of the game, when the scoreboard or the schedule says you can't win. TheTigers have played extra hard and are making an effort to execute the wishes of their coach. They have not thrown in the towel, so to speak. Coach Rawlings has exhibited unbelievable patience with the players.

On the comment about the scoring records, I think that is the most goofy statement that I have ever read on this forum, outside of some of my own posts, of course. If there are any rumors in the stands of this kind, chances are they are in your own mind, or they came from from your mouth.

You need to be very careful here, you are going to rip your team apart, just so you can take a shot at someone.

At least I hope not.

Let me begin this reply by saying that I am quite disappointed in the fact that I am even honoring this post with a reply. With that said, the three players that have been mentioned are good players. How good still remains to be seen. When you refer to Vogel(Soph) you say that suggest that he shoots alot. Leonard(Jr) is deemed to 'a great guy with the ball'. Gilbert(Jr) is crowned as the annointed one, right next to Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlin. Move over LeBron, Gilbert is the real king!!! I hope and pray that you are not the father of one of these players (especially Gilbert's) because I am embarassed for your child. Do him a favor and excuse yourself from these sites. However, if you are not his father, I can deal with your opinion on his talent. Now, in dealing with the unrest in the stands, I can only hope that you are referring to some former college coach who has a son on the team and knows what he/she is talking about. It is obvious that you don't. You also seem to ramble quite a bit so I am not sure why you try and give him a compliment only to go and blast him in the next breath. You refer to the 'rumor' about his scoring records. Trust me when I say that his scoring records will not be broken by anyone on this team. There might be a chance that someone could break the record for most 3s in a game. However, the other ones are safe. I believe that Coach Rawlings would love to see that happen because that might mean his team is shooting well that night. And by the way, Don Meyer(one of the all-time winningest basketball coaches in the history of the game) never recruited 'above average players'. To say that is a complete joke!!! (Back to the topic)To say that a coach, any coach, would take a player out of a game to keep his own personal record safe is ludicrous. I am quite sure that most coaches would rather win the game than sit down after being beaten by 30 and say to himself "Yeah, that thirty point beatdown hurts, but at least the scoring records are still mine." Give me a break!! If you are really a fan squash that rumor at the next game. Or, be a real man instead of a gutless wonder and go ask the coach yourself about the scoring records, and then stop the uneducated idiots who are spreading the rumor from doing further damage to this team. They are the ones you are hurting by writing this crap. Finally, the comment about the 'Big Ego' has me puzzled. Not sure where you were going with that one unless it was having to do with the scoring records again. I don't believe that ego has anything to do with anything here. You obviously have a problem with this coach. Try be a stand up guy for once and approach him about it and quit crying on the internet like a little baby.

yes those three guys mentioned are great players vogel isnt as sharp as your makin him seem tho...he is young and that is the only thing that is hurting him this year because hes goina have to learn how to slow down and pay attention to whats goin on...and about the coach, hes been here 4 years now and i havent seen anything out of him that has impressed me and many have talked about it as well and agree, coach k is doin a better job this year it seems but there still is a lot of work needed but lets hope the tigers can pull some more surprises this year and win many more games...

Again, I am embarassed to be responding to another idiot who pretends to be a fan. It is obvious that you know nothing about sports, in general. I can only hope that you actually graduate this year and begin to spend your time doing something worthwhile instead of embarassing yourself and your school with your ignorance. What do you know about basketball?? You probably can't even shoot a layup, can you!!?? You spout off on here about stuff that you know nothing about. I've got an idea, get yourself on an intramural team if you can and report back to us all about when your talents and intense knowledge of the game will be put on display. Who knows, we might be 'impressed' with your abilities. Let Coach Rawlings coach, the players play, and you go be a fan.

I've taken a break from the boards, and after hearing all of these new guys post, I really don't understand why?

I love watching High School basketball. I've missed one Waverly game in the past 4 years. (that was only because I was out of town) I know I've said it a lot on here, but it's something I am proud of. Especially not being on the team or having a relative that is. I love the way the Tigers are playing this year. Not just the "triplets", but the entire team. I love the run and gun style of play. I guess you could compare the style of play to a Memphis or Duke team from this year in the NCAA. That being said, I know Waverly is absolutely nothing compared to those two teams. Which High School team is? But I was referring to having a dominate post presence. the 2004-2005 season was the last time we had reasonable size down low, but we had it all that year.

But let's not get wrapped up in a discussion about the past, let's talk about the present. People all around say that size is the problem. My answer to that is, push the tempo more. You are going to have more turnovers that way, but you'll also generate better scoring chances. This team cannot run it's half court offense as well as a team would like, so you must control the tempo. Coach Rawlings knows the strengths and weaknesses of his teams better than anyone on this board, school, or county. I respect his coaching decisions.

Not to be rude concerned22, but I must be sitting on the opposite side of the gym from you during the games. I have not heard one person say Coach Kevin is taking players out because of his scoring records. That is preposterous. For one, his records are not in danger. If Vogel keeps getting better, and has a crazy Junior and Senior season, he may come close. But Coach Rawlings was amazing while playing for the Tigers, no one can deny that. I didn't see him play, but you look at his stats and you can see what a brilliant athlete he was.

I don't know who you two new guys are, concerned22 and keepinitreal. And I would be lying if I didn't say that I would like to know, lol. But you both seemed very informed, well for the most part. keepinitreal, you just seem to like to critique each part of a persons post and personally bash that person without letting people know your own opinion about the subject matter. I might have missed it, I probably did, I've had a long day. But I'm sure you'll enlighten us with some more of your lovely knowledge later.

I haven't even talked about the triplets that much, so let's begin.

Vogel seemed like he was playing above himself in the first couple games. Granted, if I had his talent I probably would too. He has calmed down a lot and seems like he has matured more than I expected this season. He has become a lot smarter with the basketball and is acting like he wants it more. He is a stand up guy too. Can't say enough about his talents on and off the court.

Leonard. I love the kid to death. In everything he does he takes a headfirst dive. Not hesitating a bit. I would trust my life with his shooting ability. Well, that is taking it a little far, but you get my point. This year he has also became a Shooting Guard that is not a afraid to drive the lane at all. He goes after every rebound and dives after every single loose ball. In my opinion he is the heart and soul of this team. I have the utmost respect for him, and I know he does for me as well.

Gilbert, he has great ball handling ability and can pass with the best of them. No I am not hailing him as LeBron or Wilt or Larry. I don't recall anyone doing that. But he is a great ball player. He can score when needed and can play defense against anyone that he'll be matched up with this season. You are right, he could score more but is unselfish and hits the shots when the team needs them the most.

All three of these players are great assets to the team, but why single these out from the rest of the guys. Jackson, Fuller, Hollis (who just got back from a foot injury), Anderson (just off injury), and several others. Jeff Jackson has played exceptionally well, especially for this being his first year on varsity. He never backs down from anyone and never gives up. He'll be a great addition when next season rolls around. Fuller can rebound better than anyone on the team, especially on the offensive end. He plays good defense and knows where he stands on this team. Good kid, and a good ball player. I'm gonna stop there, but I'm sure there is plenty more to say.

Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the season, I'll be there with you all the way fellas.

P.S.... keepinitreal, I'll play you in 1 on 1 if rednecktiger won't report to you about his intramural team. I don't care if you drop 20 on me without me getting a shot off, I'll have fun either way.