District 9-A

ecu

I'll make one last comment on this and let it go. First, it was a nasty comment, and I would be very suprised to hear it from a Forrest fan. Second, unlike Cascade we did not loose a key player at that position, so the analogy does not work, Third, the team has bought into the new coach's plan and that does not have our PG doing alot of perimeter shooting. I have not tracked it but he takes very few perimeter shots and is probably well over 40% on the ones he has taken.

He is running the offense the way the coach wants it run, and doing it well. Without giving away too much on what we are really building here, we rotate the ball to others for the outside shooting. Perimeter shooting may be a weakness for us, but up to this point it has not been the PG's role to do that, as is clear to anyone who has played us. Our best perimeter shooter has been ill and not playing much at all.

Note to ECU.. Thompson is a lovely young lady who plays on our women's team. She returned to play last night. And MTSC can't contend with us for 5th place. We have beaten them twice already. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Alright, I've tried to stay neutral on this, but you comment bothers me. What makes you think a Forrest fan would never say anything about one of your players while a Cascade fan would. Perhaps a mindset like yours is what leads to a lot of the hostility between the schools. I have no idea where ECU is from and quite honestly don't care. I'm gonna make an educated guess that your in some way related to the Community PG. I don't even know who he is. I didn't say anything about the kid. What I did say is that Community's biggest weak spot is there inability to extend a defense by knocking down some outside shots. I graduated from there and still have family and friends there. That statement isn't a knock on any kid as your trying so hard to imply. I made the analogy that we were struggling inside at Cascade, as evidenced by the loss last night, in the same manner that Community struggles on the perimeter. If that upsets you, tough, that is my opinion and I'll stick to it. If Community was solid in all phases of the game they'd be in the top ten right now.

I gave Community credit for being a solid squad and expect them to be in the region tourney this year. I also feel the new coach is doing an outstanding job. I'll not pat your son on the back (especially since I don't know who he is) nor will I apologize for making an observation. Your little shot at Cascade being classless enough to make a "nasty comment" while Forrest would never do it, does warrant an apology!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well it looks like VB and Eagleville have pretty much locked up one and two. 3,4,5 will be decided in the next two games with Forrest,Cascade, and Community playing each other. No offense Viking6 but the top 4 from the past couple of years are VB, Eagleville, Cascade, and Forrest. The other three are trying to break through. All of these games will be very competitive. Coach Mac always has his teams ready to play. Great defensive coach.

By the way Community and MTCS were battling for fifth at the time of the post. Community has secured fifth with a chance to move up by beating Forrest or Cascade.Teams 3-6 should have some interesting games in the district tournament. All have their weaknesses and strengths.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well it looks like VB and Eagleville have pretty much locked up one and two. 3,4,5 will be decided in the next two games with Forrest,Cascade, and Community playing each other. No offense Viking6 but the top 4 from the past couple of years are VB, Eagleville, Cascade, and Forrest. The other three are trying to break through. All of these games will be very competitive. Coach Mac always has his teams ready to play. Great defensive coach.

By the way Community and MTCS were battling for fifth at the time of the post. Community has secured fifth with a chance to move up by beating Forrest or Cascade.Teams 3-6 should have some interesting games in the district tournament. All have their weaknesses and strengths.

Not that it matters, ECU, but which team do you support?

Well, I really did not mean to offend. I thought it was Cascade because I overheard a very similar comment at the chilli supper before our last matchup. I did not think it was Forrest because we have not faced them this year and that particular player has not played them in a game since the first matchup freshman year. I was not making a comment about the relative classiness of the teams or their fans. I happen to love the intensity of the Cascade team and it's fans. We could use a little more of that ourselves.

I was upset by the comment because I though it was directed at an individual and that always gets me rilled up (it could only be one of two kids and one of them has been ill). I would be happy to get on here and claim the kid but unfortunately I can't. I would in fact be glad to claim any of the boys, its a great group of young men.

Back to basketball.. I think our weakness has been inconsistency. Particularly 2 things: First we play great ball for a while, then for no reason start forcing plays and that leads to turnovers or poor shots. Second it seems that one quarter our guards play great and our post game is weak, the next quarter our post game is terrific and our guards struggle. When we put the inside-outside game together for a quarter here and there we have looked like a dominating team. It seems to me more a focus or a confidence problem than a talent issue.

I have only seen Forrest at the Eagleville camp and they were missing a couple of players, but we have seen everyone else at this point. I think that in any rotation of our top 7 players we put a more balanced team on the court than anyone in our district, with the possible exception of Eagleville. That is the reason I believe we can beat any team in the district. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It has been a long time since I posted but enough already. It is obvious that Van Buren will finish one and Eagleville two, Cascade by virtue of it's win Friday night verses Forrest has the inside track to finish third because it has already won once against Community and Community has yet to play Forrest either time. Coach Pope told me the first game got canceled because of a bomb scare at Forrest the day of the game. Anyway, Community has played close with Van Buren once and Eagleville once but they should be playing better basketball now....the core of this group has been playing together for three years now at the varsity level.....something should have clicked by now! Coach Bryant seems to be doing a good job and the kids seem to be buying into what he wants them to do but they are weak at the guard spots, he will tell you that! His post game is above average and he has some nice athletes but that does not spell winning in tournament time or advancing into post-season. Van Buren, Eagleville, Cascade and Forrest all have had success in recent years and have players back from all those teams, that experience will help them in this stretch run. I too have Bedford County roots and think it is a good thing that there fans want them to be successful but come on.....call it for what it is! Community SO FAR has only beaten teams this year they were supposed to beat, either because of skill or size but has yet to beat someone they were not supposed to beat. I have several of the Cascade players in my class throughout the day and they will tell you Community is better and they have alot of respect for them, no one is dis-respecting Community so quit trying to play that card! This district has alot of good coaches, my colleague Coach Pope, Davy McClaran-who has been voted District Coach of the year for three years in a row- Joey Reed, Dustin Sullivan, now Jace Bryant....etc. My point is, instead of getting on here and blasting teams, players, coaches, etc. why not expound on all the good things this district has to show and pull for our TEAMS AND PLAYERS WITHOUT DOWNING EVERYONE ELSE!

It has been a long time since I posted but enough already. It is obvious that Van Buren will finish one and Eagleville two, Cascade by virtue of it's win Friday night verses Forrest has the inside track to finish third because it has already won once against Community and Community has yet to play Forrest either time. Coach Pope told me the first game got canceled because of a bomb scare at Forrest the day of the game. Anyway, Community has played close with Van Buren once and Eagleville once but they should be playing better basketball now....the core of this group has been playing together for three years now at the varsity level.....something should have clicked by now! Coach Bryant seems to be doing a good job and the kids seem to be buying into what he wants them to do but they are weak at the guard spots, he will tell you that! His post game is above average and he has some nice athletes but that does not spell winning in tournament time or advancing into post-season. Van Buren, Eagleville, Cascade and Forrest all have had success in recent years and have players back from all those teams, that experience will help them in this stretch run. I too have Bedford County roots and think it is a good thing that there fans want them to be successful but come on.....call it for what it is! Community SO FAR has only beaten teams this year they were supposed to beat, either because of skill or size but has yet to beat someone they were not supposed to beat. I have several of the Cascade players in my class throughout the day and they will tell you Community is better and they have alot of respect for them, no one is dis-respecting Community so quit trying to play that card! This district has alot of good coaches, my colleague Coach Pope, Davy McClaran-who has been voted District Coach of the year for three years in a row- Joey Reed, Dustin Sullivan, now Jace Bryant....etc. My point is, instead of getting on here and blasting teams, players, coaches, etc. why not expound on all the good things this district has to show and pull for our TEAMS AND PLAYERS WITHOUT DOWNING EVERYONE ELSE!

It is not obvious that VB will finish first and Eagleville second. Eagleville has lost one game and that was to VB and we had two starters out, our pt. guard and our best defensive player. We do play them again at the end of the season and at home. Personally I think we will beat them this time. But I guess they would still get the title because they would have a better overall record. Looking forward to that game. Anyone know for sure what would happen if they end in a tie?

It is not obvious that VB will finish first and Eagleville second. Eagleville has lost one game and that was to VB and we had two starters out, our pt. guard and our best defensive player. We do play them again at the end of the season and at home. Personally I think we will beat them this time. But I guess they would still get the title because they would have a better overall record. Looking forward to that game. Anyone know for sure what would happen if they end in a tie?

if eagleville beats vb at home and they tie there

will be a coin flip at community for 1st place

Let me rephrase, Van Buren county should finish first and Eagleville should finish second but anything is possible. If they are tied, Coach Pope told me today that at their district coaches meeting they will settle the tie with a coin toss, overall record does not mean anything as it relates to seeding, according to him. Just watching both teams play my champs, both are capable of winning the tournament this year but on a neutal floor it really could be wide open. Cascade and Forrest both have experience on their side, Eagleville was in the finals a couple of years ago up at Van Buren but so far Van Buren has not finished higher than third, maybe this is their year. They certainly are a fine team and are well coached. Good luck to all!

Let me rephrase, Van Buren county should finish first and Eagleville should finish second but anything is possible. If they are tied, Coach Pope told me today that at their district coaches meeting they will settle the tie with a coin toss, overall record does not mean anything as it relates to seeding, according to him. Just watching both teams play my champs, both are capable of winning the tournament this year but on a neutal floor it really could be wide open. Cascade and Forrest both have experience on their side, Eagleville was in the finals a couple of years ago up at Van Buren but so far Van Buren has not finished higher than third, maybe this is their year. They certainly are a fine team and are well coached. Good luck to all!

I hate to disagree with you, 88, but I'd put Community ahead of Forrest as a possible team to pull an upset in the district tourney. I wasn't as impressed with the upside of Forrest as I was Community. Forrest has some great young talent, but I think there season will be over after the district tourney this year. As inconsistent as we have been this year, we could be at home for good also, after the tourney. Only an opinion...