Need help with football classification

CoachF

There is discussion of moving divisions into urban and rural, I can't see that happening but it's being talked about by the TSSAA. The numbers that have been used would probably be thrown out the window if that happened. There are posts on this topic in the private-public debate section.

I don't think Maryville intentionally tries to remain 4A but it would have been nice to see them competing in the largest class the last few years. If there had been two-year classification periods like in the old days instead of four years, they would have likely been 5A by now.

As far as I can remember them to be it should be something like this.

1A- 0 to 449

2A- 450 to 680

3A- 681 to 999

4A- 1000 to 1399

5A- 1400 up

I could be off by a few numbers but I think that is close. According to TSSAA Maryville should be in 5A but you are right they somehow find a way to stay down.

2004 Reclassification numbers

1A - 0 to 395 (Cosby had the highest enrollment)

2A - 399 to 666 (Goodpasture)

3A - 667 to 964 (Anderson County)

4A - 967 to 1,380 (David Crockett)

5A - 1,381 and up

2004 Reclassification numbers

1A - 0 to 395 (Cosby had the highest enrollment)

2A - 399 to 666 (Goodpasture)

3A - 667 to 964 (Anderson County)

4A - 967 to 1,380 (David Crockett)

5A - 1,381 and up

The thing about the numbers you have is that in each number set up there are teams from another Classification with an enrollment that should have them moving up. Such as Maryville should be going up and teams like Glencliff and maybe Gallatin moving down.

You're right, that goes back to how I wish they would do it with two-year periods. Those enrollments will still be used until the end of the 2008-2009 school year, five year old numbers by that time. Rhea County (not picking on Rhea) has severe overcrowding problems, with their enrollment listed at 1500 in newspaper reports yet they remain 4A.

Didn't Maryville stay in 4A because some 4A schools chose to play with the big boys? If Maryville really had a set like those schools had, then they would be in 5A already. When they do go 5a in 2009 where will they play? They will not have the luxury of travelling only 45 minutes to Clinton for a game. They will be heading to D-B or down to Choo-Choo town. More costly for being placed in the class they should have been in all along.