Maryville vs. Bearen

Rebelsfan

The officiating was horrible in the fourth quarter and overtime. The refs called an intentional foul against Bearden that should have been only a regular foul, and, in the last play of the game, Blake Jenkins drove to the bucket and got hammered but no foul called. Maryville may still have won anyway, but I just hate to see the refs have such a negative influence in a well played and tough game. Also, Simpson was the best big guy on the court tonight. Rebelsfan, be careful what you say. Bearden is the most improved team in the district this year. They could easily become the team to beat as the teams go into the tournament.

That't it - blame it on the officiating. Look, the bottom line is there were many calls that could have gone either way. When it came down to it - Maryville hit the threes to win the game. Dont think I am doggin it down on Bearden. They are an excellent team with great players. I'm always worried when we play them because they are so good. We may meet again too in the district tournament.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The officiating was horrible in the fourth quarter and overtime. The refs called an intentional foul against Bearden that should have been only a regular foul, and, in the last play of the game, Blake Jenkins drove to the bucket and got hammered but no foul called. Maryville may still have won anyway, but I just hate to see the refs have such a negative influence in a well played and tough game. Also, Simpson was the best big guy on the court tonight. Rebelsfan, be careful what you say. Bearden is the most improved team in the district this year. They could easily become the team to beat as the teams go into the tournament.

I have not seen Bearden Play until tonight and was very impressed with Simpson ,Jenkins however was a different story if his actions tonight were any indication he needs to mature in a hurry. He seems to have some tallent but acts like a primadonna as if he's never committed a foul as if he was fouled every time his shot don't fall that type of thing.

and if he dosen't learn to play defense he will never see the court at VT. by the way the intentional foul call was the right call he tackled the kid, but it ended up not making a difference as MHS couldn't inbound the ball. and Bearden got it back anyway. Damron was head and shoulders above any other guard on the court tonight, he seems to play at his best in the big games. I'm not sure about your last stament are you talking about Bearden being improved from last year or from the first of the season? I thought they were suposed to be the team to beat this year. and your right they could be the team to beat at tournament time but they had better improve at the line and defensivley.

Fellers eye wuz reel worried about this gaim.

BeerDen iz #2 and Mairvul is playin' inn tha biggust classificashun in baskitbawl. Pluss, Mairvul iz skeered to play tha "big boyz".

Most peeple said Mairvul winnin' tha champeenship in baskitbawl last yeer agin tha "big boyz" wuz luck... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Pee. Ess. Did Simpson's mammy haiv big buysepps? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I have not seen Bearden Play until tonight and was very impressed with Simpson ,Jenkins however was a different story if his actions tonight were any indication he needs to mature in a hurry. He seems to have some tallent but acts like a primadonna as if he's never committed a foul as if he was fouled every time his shot don't fall that type of thing.

and if he dosen't learn to play defense he will never see the court at VT. by the way the intentional foul call was the right call he tackled the kid, but it ended up not making a difference as MHS couldn't inbound the ball. and Bearden got it back anyway. Damron was head and shoulders above any other guard on the court tonight, he seems to play at his best in the big games. I'm not sure about your last stament are you talking about Bearden being improved from last year or from the first of the season? I thought they were suposed to be the team to beat this year. and your right they could be the team to beat at tournament time but they had better improve at the line and defensivley.

I agree with your points. I do think that Bearden has improved dramatically over this year primarily because Simpson, Campbell and Parker all have really stepped up their games and seem to be in the flow of things better. Frankly, I thought that Maryville would be the team to beat this year with all of the returning players from their team last year.

Thoughts on the game:

*Great high school basketball ... those who didn't make it out due to weather or UT game, missed a barn-burner.

*The consensus among the guys I was sitting (just watching the game, not really with a dog in the fight) was that the intentional foul was a bad call. It appeared like the Bearden player was reaching around Jordan to foul him, but that his legs got tangled up and he tripped him accidently. It WAS NOT a tackle. Bottom line, it didn't end up affecting the game in a major way cause Bearden got another opportunity.

*If you're a Bearden fan, obviously you would have liked to have seen a foul called on Douglas on Jenkins last shot. There was a lot of contact. But to give credit to the refereeing staff, they had let them play like that all night under the goal on both ends. If you're not going to call a foul like that the entire game, you can't call one with 2 seconds left.

*Jordan was incredible in the second half. He deserves all the praise he gets. But give some to Ryan Click as well for staking them to a lead in the first half. He hit some big shots. And Wes Lambert is such an important part of the team. He quietly goes about his business, getting the big bucket here or there when you need it, getting a steal ... just a good, all around player.

*Stars ... you need to "git" some of those boosters with big pockets to update that pitiful sound system you'all have in the "jim-naseum". Jud's deep, rich, resonate voice is lost in all the static. I believe he needs more "watts" and some good "sub-woofer". Looks like old Chip--being the dj and sound guru he is, would bring the "Jim Campbell's" technology up to speed.

Oh yeah, I always notice how your'alls book keeper and clock operator wear O-ficial striped, refereeing shirts. I wonder if I could get a couple of those to fit C.J. and Jimmy???

Thoughts on the game:

*Great high school basketball ... those who didn't make it out due to weather or UT game, missed a barn-burner.

*The consensus among the guys I was sitting (just watching the game, not really with a dog in the fight) was that the intentional foul was a bad call. It appeared like the Bearden player was reaching around Jordan to foul him, but that his legs got tangled up and he tripped him accidently. It WAS NOT a tackle. Bottom line, it didn't end up affecting the game in a major way cause Bearden got another opportunity.

*If you're a Bearden fan, obviously you would have liked to have seen a foul called on Douglas on Jenkins last shot. There was a lot of contact. But to give credit to the refereeing staff, they had let them play like that all night under the goal on both ends. If you're not going to call a foul like that the entire game, you can't call one with 2 seconds left.

*Jordan was incredible in the second half. He deserves all the praise he gets. But give some to Ryan Click as well for staking them to a lead in the first half. He hit some big shots. And Wes Lambert is such an important part of the team. He quietly goes about his business, getting the big bucket here or there when you need it, getting a steal ... just a good, all around player.

*Stars ... you need to "git" some of those boosters with big pockets to update that pitiful sound system you'all have in the "jim-naseum". Jud's deep, rich, resonate voice is lost in all the static. I believe he needs more "watts" and some good "sub-woofer". Looks like old Chip--being the dj and sound guru he is, would bring the "Jim Campbell's" technology up to speed.

Oh yeah, I always notice how your'alls book keeper and clock operator wear O-ficial striped, refereeing shirts. I wonder if I could get a couple of those to fit C.J. and Jimmy???

Govman your right about the refs letting them play last night there was alot of banging going on in the paint, but you missed one of the supporting cast members and that is Jay Reynolds MHS "other" big man who had several blocks and a couple of key buckets and by the way out jumped Simpson twice on the tip offs. the foul call we'll just have to agree to disagree on it might not have been a tackle but it was more than was needed. Just so you know I knew you way back when you and momma Gov played family night @ W.H.

Govman your right about the refs letting them play last night there was alot of banging going on in the paint, but you missed one of the supporting cast members and that is Jay Reynolds MHS "other" big man who had several blocks and a couple of key buckets and by the way out jumped Simpson twice on the tip offs. the foul call we'll just have to agree to disagree on it might not have been a tackle but it was more than was needed. Just so you know I knew you way back when you and momma Gov played family night @ W.H.

Certainly didn't mean to overlook Big Jay. He is such a weapon. He continues to improve each time I see him play. The (intentional/unintentional) happened quick. It's kind of like watching a car wreck. One person sees it one way ... one sees it another. It would be interesting to watch the tape. To me though, I really thought the excessive contact was unintentional. I don't think Mark would have put up much of a fuss if the ref had not called an intentional there. Earlier this year, when the Gov's came up, one of our really fine kids, Brad Cochran, hit Jordan really hard in the scramble for a loose ball. He was vilified by the Rebel student body--and some adults-- for the rest of the game and if you watch the tape of that one (I have several times) he really didn't do anything malicious. He was just going for a loose ball. He actually tried to help Jordan up after the play, but I don't think anyone saw that. It's hard not react in the heat of the moment when you feel like your team has been "done wrong."

I'm trying to put together who you might be. An old Wallace Hills boy, with a connection to wrestling? Give me another clue.

Gov-Man you are, inn my mind, the E.F. Hutton of PA sistims, when 'st you talk about 'em, eye lissen. You no big ole speekers. Eye could sit in Lee and Walt's body shop parkin' lot and heer you bettur than eye heer Jud. We haiv ben tryin' to git "Squatty's Jim Naseeum" spruced up. At least we got red walls now.

Chip is awful bizzy teachin' Jograffy, Gov-Man. Eye heered he did do sum dance fer tha Mairvul kids back befour Christmas and one of my kids came home and asked if 'un eye had evur heered of sum old, out of date song called "Take Your Time, Do It Right." /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

As fer as a 'O-fishal striped, refereein' shirt.....let me put hit this way. Eye haiv a buddy who has one, who referee's the Parkin' Lot Rasslin' down at the Old Lyon's IGA store parkin' lot and eye'll git his....but if 'un hit aint big enuff and Jimmy runs fer Blunt Countee Skool Bored and gits elected, eye'll buy him a brand new one and git Archie to custom fit hit fer him..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Certainly didn't mean to overlook Big Jay. He is such a weapon. He continues to improve each time I see him play. The (intentional/unintentional) happened quick. It's kind of like watching a car wreck. One person sees it one way ... one sees it another. It would be interesting to watch the tape. To me though, I really thought the excessive contact was unintentional. I don't think Mark would have put up much of a fuss if the ref had not called an intentional there. Earlier this year, when the Gov's came up, one of our really fine kids, Brad Cochran, hit Jordan really hard in the scramble for a loose ball. He was vilified by the Rebel student body--and some adults-- for the rest of the game and if you watch the tape of that one (I have several times) he really didn't do anything malicious. He was just going for a loose ball. He actually tried to help Jordan up after the play, but I don't think anyone saw that. It's hard not react in the heat of the moment when you feel like your team has been "done wrong."

I'm trying to put together who you might be. An old Wallace Hills boy, with a connection to wrestling? Give me another clue.

Maybe someday after church we can have a cheese burger on homemade bread and be told "Dooo hurry back"!

Govman is like a Rock Star at William Blount. I talked to him after the William Blount/Maryville game a month ago. Didn't get to talk to him very long. So many people from both Maryville and William Blount wanted to talk to him. He drew a bigger crowd than George Quarles did. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Great win vs Bearden. I hope the Rebels can keep up the good play. Jordan Damron can light it up. He takes after him dad and mother. I am glad he didn't get his athletic ability from Brad. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Fellers eye wuz reel worried about this gaim.

BeerDen iz #2 and Mairvul is playin' inn tha biggust classificashun in baskitbawl. Pluss, Mairvul iz skeered to play tha "big boyz".

Most peeple said Mairvul winnin' tha champeenship in baskitbawl last yeer agin tha "big boyz" wuz luck... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Pee. Ess. Did Simpson's mammy haiv big buysepps? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Are you trying to look cool or look like and idiot writing like this. Anyway Maryville is a quality team that will have a chance to make a run at state if they can get out of their region.

Are you trying to look cool or look like and idiot writing like this. Anyway Maryville is a quality team that will have a chance to make a run at state if they can get out of their region.

Easy Beefy,

Stars doesn't have to "try to look cool" ... everybody on here that knows him already knows he IS cool. The only one "looking" like an idiot would be someone calling out Stars-n-Bars. He's a legend.

And RebelRon ... as far as "rockstars" go ... if indeed I am one, I'm like "New Kids on the Block" or something. You, on the other hand, my friend, would compare to Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, or even better yet, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Be sure and stop by and see me Friday night if you're there.