Tri-County Seven - Week of 20 January, 2008

krichunaka

Krich, was really just trying to give you a hard time about the Greeneville thing. I knew you meant Unicoi but couldn't pass up the chance to point it out. I do believe the Highlander is getting to you. He's not one of the ones that has offerred you a little something extra has he? Unaka does deserve to be rated above the Highlanders because bottom line they beat them (can't believe I'm defending Unaka and you're not). Most of the time it's the other way around. Sure Kentucky won't be ranked above Tennessee because that poll takes in all of the teams, games, etc. Our major little poll just takes into our own seven. Now if the championship went out today in the sec Kentucky would get the nod over Tennesse because of the head to head win. Correct? So I'm giving the ranking to Unaka. Like I said before I'm not sure Unicoi is the best team but as of today they are playing the best basketball. Elizabethton is playing it's best of the year with Unaka. Cloudland, with maybe the exception of last night hasn't been. That's why my rankings are the way they are. Based on who's winning and playing their best at the time. And that's the "Bottom Line"....

As for the Cloudland record I was more interested in the Highlander or King letting us know if any of the other Cloudland teams have gotten off to as good as a start as this group?

First off, I know I'm surrounded by greater basketball minds than myself and I have to say this. I would rather motivate the Lady Highlanders by ranking them fourth in this little poll than have them to lose the real deal. The real deal is in March. The Lady Highlanders have lost a little bit of their luster. They struggled once again with an inferior opponent last night. If they don't start playing like they were earlier in the year, they will lose at home against Unaka and they may very well be defeated at North Greene and Hampton. They may be looking at a 3rd and possibly 4th seed ranking in the tournaments. Most of the Lady Highlander starters are only 16 and these young girls may have let the hype get them out of sync. They can still be the number one team, but its going to take some hard practices to get them back in the work mode.

And to answer screen's question on Cloudland records, the Tara Hanson led bunch got off to a 21-3 start and I think they finished with only 5 losses back in 04. I was also wrong about what I said a couple of weeks ago. Hanson and Stacia Johnson were consistent 3 point shooters. They may have had only one bad game the whole year. Plus, they had Amy Storie underneath who rarely ever missed. Those were probably the best players in recent years at Cloudland.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I know I'm surrounded by greater basketball minds than myself and I have to say this. I would rather motivate the Lady Highlanders by ranking them fourth in this little poll than have them to lose the real deal. The real deal is in March. The Lady Highlanders have lost a little bit of their luster. They struggled once again with an inferior opponent last night. If they don't start playing like they were earlier in the year, they will lose at home against Unaka and they may very well be defeated at North Greene and Hampton. They may be looking at a 3rd and possibly 4th seed ranking in the tournaments. Most of the Lady Highlander starters are only 16 and these young girls may have let the hype get them out of sync. They can still be the number one team, but its going to take some hard practices to get them back in the work mode.

And to answer screen's question on Cloudland records, the Tara Hanson led bunch got off to a 21-3 start and I think they finished with only 5 losses back in 04. I was also wrong about what I said a couple of weeks ago. Hanson and Stacia Johnson were consistent 3 point shooters. They may have had only one bad game the whole year. Plus, they had Amy Storie underneath who rarely ever missed. Those were probably the best players in recent years at Cloudland.

Thanks for the information, a90. Maybe you are little smarter than everyone thinks. You see them play often and might not look at them through rose colored glasses. The Lady Highlanders have a very talented team and should get back to form soon. One more question for you or the Highlander, Johnson hasn't been scoring as much lately as she was at the first of the season. What would be the reason? Is she still taking as many shots, teams keying on her or something to this effect? I'm not saying this is a bad thing, others have seemed to be stepping up in the offensive department but was just wondering about her scoring. I know she does a lot of other things to help her team win and winning they have been doing. Just a question from someone outside that doesn't get to watch them play that often.

Cloudland is back to winning; twice so far this week. Saturday's challenge in Greeneville is huge, but the Lady Highlanders have made a good showing after their first loss since late-November.

After their home loss to Cloudland last night, the Lady Longhorns get to play in Elizabethon tonight. The Lady Cyclones' home loss to Greeneville is of no consequence to their Watauga Conference aspirations; Big Week for them begins next Tuesday.

Tonight's key game is in Hampton. Coach Leon Tolley seems to have saved his best for conference play, and a win over the Lady Rangers will put the Lady Bulldogs in the middle of the regular season race. Of course, Unaka has played very well lately, and especially on the defensive end, but with a Hampton win, the Lady Bulldogs can put a quick stop to Unaka's momentum.

Screen, I don't know if its a mid-season slump or if she's just trying to do too much right now. I've noticed she gets a little frustrated on the court and that definitely can affect a basketball player. I could'nt help but notice how composed the UH boys team was the other night. Cloudland had them in dire straits and no. 11 did not miss one foul shot. I would suggest that these ladies get back to the fundamentals in practice. Do things like become better foul shooters, dribblers, rebounding. Thats what the game is all about. Those who do it with the most passion will come out on top regardless of talent. And it looks like from last night the Lady Highlanders are headed in the right direction. Just a little more composure will help them overcome those shooting obstacles.

Screen, I don't know if its a mid-season slump or if she's just trying to do too much right now. I've noticed she gets a little frustrated on the court and that definitely can affect a basketball player. I could'nt help but notice how composed the UH boys team was the other night. Cloudland had them in dire straits and no. 11 did not miss one foul shot. I would suggest that these ladies get back to the fundamentals in practice. Do things like become better foul shooters, dribblers, rebounding. Thats what the game is all about. Those who do it with the most passion will come out on top regardless of talent. And it looks like from last night the Lady Highlanders are headed in the right direction. Just a little more composure will help them overcome those shooting obstacles.

a90, sometimes when a player has been counted on to do most of the scoring and then their team mates start to contribute a lot more, that players tends to press. Just ask Chris Lofton. Sometimes it takes a player a little time to start to feel comfortable with their new role. With the other players starting to contribute a lot more only makes Cloudland a much better team. If Johnson is the player I think she is I know as the games go on she will become more fimiliar with what her team needs her to do. I have also seen players forget about what an offensive threat they really are and tend to pass up shots they should be taking. Haven't got to see them play lately but maybe this is what she is doing. You or the Highlander can fill us in on more of what is happening. Again with her contributing in many other ways and the other players taking more care of the scoring responsibilities only makes them a more dangerous team. As their continuous winning ways prove. Hopefully she won't forget what an offensive weapon she is and can blend her scoring opportunities into the offense again. Unicoi is a good example of this with Barnett. She has started to accept her role as point guard. At first she tried to force things, then she became passive on offense and now she has started to find her scoring opportunities again within their offense. Johnson and Barnett both are very good players and always seem to find ways to help their teams win.

Hampton took the first quarter by one, 13-12

Unaka reciprocated with a one-point advantage in the second to pull even at 26 at half-time.

Hampton doubled up on Unaka, 14-7 in the third to lead 40-33, and executed beautifully in the clutch to win the fourth by one 17-16, and the game by eight.

Final: Hampton 57 Unaka 49.

Junior guard, Josie McKinney scored a dozen points; classmate Mikki Oliver hit a dozen-and-a-half; and with all that, Hampton's tremendous freshman, Chelsea Weddle went off for nineteen points, fifteen of those in the second half, to lead all scorers, and help secure the Lady Bulldogs big conference win over the Lady Rangers.

Unaka made a few runs only to see the Lady Bulldogs find answers. Early in the fourth, Kaleigh Elsea hit a three to pull Unaka within four at 40-36. Weddle answered with two, followed by a three by McKinney to put Hampton up by nine, 45-36. All this in the first minute-forty of the final quarter.

Brittany Scott drove and scored at 6:01, and followed that up twenty seconds later with a three. Then, thirty-three seconds after that, Elsea hit another three to pull Unaka within one - 45-44, at 5:08.

At 5:00, Weddle answered with two of her seven fourth quarter points - - 47-44 Hampton. Then, Natalie Johnson broke the press and hit a twelve-foot jumper and it's again a one-point game - - 47-46 Hampton. McKinney extended the lead to 49-46, before Kayla Winters scored a traditional three to tie it again at 49.

Hampton hit two free-throws (Oliver) and another two-pointer to make it 53-49. Scott launched and missed with an in-and-out three at 1:48, and the clock-stopping fouls began. Oliver and Weddle each hit one of two; Kelly Stout hit two-of-two. Scott deflected a steal to Winters while still only down by five, but an errant pass ended Unaka's threat.

A very good game. A fight to the end, but Hampton won more hustle plays in the final minutes.

Hampton took the first quarter by one, 13-12

Unaka reciprocated with a one-point advantage in the second to pull even at 26 at half-time.

Hampton doubled up on Unaka, 14-7 in the third to lead 40-33, and executed beautifully in the clutch to win the fourth by one 17-16, and the game by eight.

Final: Hampton 57 Unaka 49.

Junior guard, Josie McKinney scored a dozen points; classmate Mikki Oliver hit a dozen-and-a-half; and with all that, Hampton's tremendous freshman, Chelsea Weddle went off for nineteen points, fifteen of those in the second half, to lead all scorers, and help secure the Lady Bulldogs big conference win over the Lady Rangers.

Unaka made a few runs only to see the Lady Bulldogs find answers. Early in the fourth, Kaleigh Elsea hit a three to pull Unaka within four at 40-36. Weddle answered with two, followed by a three by McKinney to put Hampton up by five, 45-36. All this in the first minute-forty of the final quarter.

Brittany Scott drove and scored at 6:01, and followed that up twenty seconds later with a three. Then, thirty-three seconds after that, Elsea hit another three to pull Unaka within one - 45-44, at 5:08.

At 5:00, Weddle answered with two of her seven fourth quarter points - - 47-44 Hampton. Then, Natalie Johnson broke the press and hit a twelve-foot jumper and it's again a one-point game - - 47-46 Hampton. McKinney extended the lead to 49-46, before Kayla Winters scored a traditional three to tie it again at 49.

Hampton hit two free-throws (Oliver) and another two-pointer to make it 53-49. Scott launched and missed with an in-and-out three at 1:48, and the clock-stopping fouls began. Oliver and Weddle each hit one of two; Kelly Stout hit two-of-two. Scott deflected a steal to Winters while still only down by five, but an errant pass ended Unaka's threat.

A very good game. A fight to the end, but Hampton won more hustle plays in the final minutes.

Sounded like a very exciting game to watch. Looks like once again you know what you are talking about, down playing Unaka's win over the Highlanders, almost sounding like you knew a Hampton win was coming. We should have all known not to doubt the great master. Congrats to Hampton on a big conference win. Know the Highlanders must really be enjoying it also. If I doubt you again ole great master just beat me with your computer.

Weddle is awesome. When it is all said and done, she will be ONE of the best players to ever come through Hampton, maybe even Carter County...

I have to say that the Lady Dogs played very well against the Lady Rangers. In fact both teams played well and it was a great game to watch because both teams played hard and are extremely well coached. I have watched HHS all season and am amazed at the way they are playing right now. They have been down but have always seemed to rise back up. I'm that a lot of people had given up on them but you can rest assured that their coach won't let them give up. I was not sure that they would be able to do much this season since they have no one over 5'7 but they have proven me and everyone else wrong. Well done Ladies and keep up the good work.

Sounded like a very exciting game to watch. Looks like once again you know what you are talking about, down playing Unaka's win over the Highlanders, almost sounding like you knew a Hampton win was coming. We should have all known not to doubt the great master. Congrats to Hampton on a big conference win. Know the Highlanders must really be enjoying it also. If I doubt you again ole great master just beat me with your computer.

I'm sure I know least of all about the great game, but I'm fortunate that Every Coach in our area has always been very helpful with information and insight.

And this one didn't just drop out of the sky. There were several indicators:

It's in-conference - familiarity by both the coaches and players.

Hampton's Monday night win over North Greene.

And of course the emergence of the freshman, Chelsea Weddle. Coach Tolley noted his team's overall improvement since inserting her into the lineup.

Even with Megan Holtsclaw sidelined by illness, the Lady Bulldogs played deeper, and though the biggest offensive contributions came from Weddle, Oliver, and Mckinney, ten Lady Bulldogs saw the floor, and all performed pretty well. A Great Team Effort.

Unaka did not play badly. Hampton played better. The Lady Rangers were THAT close: At 3:11, with the score tied at 49, Winters rolled a layup around and off the rim. At 2:38, Elsea rimmed a three, and of course, Scott's missed three at 1:48; things like that.

Incidentally, Scott scored 13 and played a marvelous defensive game. And (I think) Winters had four blocked shots, to go with her 17 points. Natalie Johnson was in early foul trouble, but managed to score five, second half points. Taylor Byars played well and scored all of her seven points in the second quarter. Kaleigh Elsea's two threes helped Unaka recover from the nine-point fourth quarter deficit. Danielle Jones and Chesnie Cox were reliable as always. Jones is a very smart player. Tayler Nidiffer played very little; she's yet another star-potential freshman.

And, we get to watch them go at it again next Friday night on The Creek!

I love it anytime the Blue Crew gets a win over the Creekers. If people didn't realize how tight this conference is, I bet they do now. Hampton has made things very interesting. The Lady Highlanders must win at Baileyton next week. Right now two teams could easily win this region. Cloudland could finish as low as fourth if they lose the rest of their conference games. Unaka must win against Hampton and beat Cloudland in Roan Mt. to win the conference. If Cloudland wins out then they will win the conference. If Hampton hadn't of fell to UH earlier, they would be in perfect position right now. Another win over the Creek and a win at home against Cloudland would put them in front. Amazing how tough this conference is this year.

Cloudland fared no better than Elizabethton against Greeneville and were held to a season low 23 points. The Lady Devils are the best defensive team I ever coached against. We could never score on them and only managed to beat them once in 2005 with our best team, arguably the best in school history. They do not do anything fancy, they are just tall, strong, athletic, and disciplined. They guard everything and make it tough to get shots at all, and certainly nothing easy. To beat that kind of defense, you have to have athletic kids who can create their own shot off the dribble or break the defense down with dribble penetration and make a quality pass when the help defense comes. That takes great players and you have to have more than one, as Greeneville can usually stop one and dare the others to beat them. I have always thought that to be a truly great player you have to be able to maintain your dribble under pressure, create your own shot, or see the floor well enough to hit the open man. Rikki Baughman comes to mind. Most girl's teams in our area have some good spot up shooters, a great handling point guard if they are lucky, and maybe one solid low post player. There are lots of good shooters, several very good posts, and a few excellent ballhandlers in the Seven right now. However, there are not very many that have all the skills combined. When our teams step up in class against the Greeneville's of the world, we usually find out what our weaknesses are.