Coaches vs. Officials

Coach2001

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for comments and opinions on this thread, and no, bench decorum is not consistently addressed, even though it is a point of emphasis....Let me ask all readers, especially the coaches, this one situation and get your opinioed response....True story- High School Game - Head coach has been warned and has seen the hand from me after vehemently arguing a call. After a few more trips up and down the floor, as I pass directly in front of him and he screams while standing, " God ref, you just blew another one!" I stop and immediatly assess a technical foul. Right on cue, one of the asst. coaches pipes in in a normal tone, "That's the first call you have gotten right all night."

Question: Would you, if you were in my shoes, call another technical (on the bench)? I'm not going to tell you what I did...I want to know what you would do....If I get enough responses, I may tell you what I did....Everyone I've related this situation to, including fellow officials, have given me various opinions...This thread seems to have some intelligent posters - I would really like your feedback....Thanks

Ernie, you sound like you have a good handle on things during your games. While you may not worry as much about bench decorum but there are many that do. I know they are many different personalities with all officials as well as coaches so meetings and attitudes will vary. My whole point to this topic to me is to find a way to create actual human relationships between coaches and players and I feel this could be done. I believe more positive would come out of it than negative. If negative did occur, then you as coaches, officials, and supervisors could find a way to keep the ones that have had altercations apart from each other until things could possibly be resolved. I am not talking about an occasional technical foul. This is real life and in some cases there would be no reconcilliation. (sp)

As for your question about the technical situation, I have been faced with very similar situations as an official and I did not give the assistant a technical bc I did not lose my composure. I assessed the original technical to head coach, reported it, and rotatated away from their bench.

Thanks for comments and opinions on this thread, and no, bench decorum is not consistently addressed, even though it is a point of emphasis....Let me ask all readers, especially the coaches, this one situation and get your opinioed response....True story- High School Game - Head coach has been warned and has seen the hand from me after vehemently arguing a call. After a few more trips up and down the floor, as I pass directly in front of him and he screams while standing, " God ref, you just blew another one!" I stop and immediatly assess a technical foul. Right on cue, one of the asst. coaches pipes in in a normal tone, "That's the first call you have gotten right all night."

Question: Would you, if you were in my shoes, call another technical (on the bench)? I'm not going to tell you what I did...I want to know what you would do....If I get enough responses, I may tell you what I did....Everyone I've related this situation to, including fellow officials, have given me various opinions...This thread seems to have some intelligent posters - I would really like your feedback....Thanks

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Tough one, but if it were me, I probably would have turned to the assist. coach and say (while trying not to laugh too hard) "you may be right, but one more word out of you, and I will call it again."

I would then turn to the coach, and no matter how upset off he was I would look him/her in the eye and say "I dont care who you are, that right there was funny. But one more word from an assistant, and YOU get tossed. Get control fast"

That is just me. I would rather over communicate than have to over compensate.

WHACK !!!

Now maybe you have their attention !!

Second one is indirect to the head coach, so he gets to stay but is on his last strike.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Tough one, but if it were me, I probably would have turned to the assist. coach and say (while trying not to laugh too hard) "you may be right, but one more word out of you, and I will call it again."

I would then turn to the coach, and no matter how upset off he was I would look him/her in the eye and say "I dont care who you are, that right there was funny. But one more word from an assistant, and YOU get tossed. Get control fast"

That is just me. I would rather over communicate than have to over compensate.

I agree with Gator Bill on this one. Try to defuse it first BUT let the coach know get control or walk!!

I agree with Gator Bill on this one. Try to defuse it first BUT let the coach know get control or walk!!

My very first HS coaching job was as DL coach for a very successful football program. In the meeting room, before we boarded the bus for our first game, the Head Coach gathered all of the assistants together and went over "Sideline Guidelines". One of the most important thing to him was that only the Head Coach is to addess the officials. If we had a legit beef, we needed to make sure he knew about it, and he would do his job. If it came down to a screaming match, we better feel strongly enough about it because we would have to scream it at him, and then he would turn and scream it at the official. No one ever screamed at Coach Sauceda!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And I dont really recall him ever raising his voice with the officials. They could tell when he was hot about something, and he didnt have to disrespect anyone to get his point across. He was a fiery lil fella, but he always kept his cool with the officials, and the players. I would like to think I learned a lot from him, but I still wish I had learned much more. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Moral of the story: Head Coach is supposed to be in control of these issues. Assistants report the the HC, Period. If that control is not there, the HC is not doing their job.

My very first HS coaching job was as DL coach for a very successful football program. In the meeting room, before we boarded the bus for our first game, the Head Coach gathered all of the assistants together and went over "Sideline Guidelines". One of the most important thing to him was that only the Head Coach is to addess the officials. If we had a legit beef, we needed to make sure he knew about it, and he would do his job. If it came down to a screaming match, we better feel strongly enough about it because we would have to scream it at him, and then he would turn and scream it at the official. No one ever screamed at Coach Sauceda!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And I dont really recall him ever raising his voice with the officials. They could tell when he was hot about something, and he didnt have to disrespect anyone to get his point across. He was a fiery lil fella, but he always kept his cool with the officials, and the players. I would like to think I learned a lot from him, but I still wish I had learned much more. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Moral of the story: Head Coach is supposed to be in control of these issues. Assistants report the the HC, Period. If that control is not there, the HC is not doing their job.

thanks, gatorbill. one of the best post yet concerning game management. the head coach is the coach that we confer with; NO ONE ELSE!!!!! we are generous in talking with assistants. we are sometimes directed by some supervisors to not talk with assistants at all because the head coach is the one who makes decisions and changes things concerning us. i'm glad you made the statement about the head coach being 'the man'; because now i can post my philosophy and not be in fear of making someone think i'm a jerk. i don't talk to any assistants about plays during the game and if the scenario that was presented early happened to me i would have accessed a direct technical to the assistant coach and ejected him and the t would have gone indirectly to the head coach, for his second. may seem harsh; but, it appears that the assist. hasn't been told his role or doesn't respect the head coach enough to care. he will probably never make that mistake again. i'm not mean and i have been officiating consistently at a high level for 20 years and get pretty good marks from supervisors and peers (and believe it or not; even some fans).

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> This is so true! I have seen first hand an assistant coach cross the line, but the one's I have seen had the Head Coach cross that line back and set them in thier place. One thing most Coaches have is control, once you lose that the coach has more to lose than the assistant. JOB!!

I probably would have told the coach one more out of the bench and you are gone! IF it was intense i probably would have gave them another T that probably would get their attention quick....Wonder what the correct answer is? emmmmm /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Great post!!

Thanks for the information. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> i think all the above suggestions are great. I'm also glad that someone posts with the approriate wording cause I'm not tactful. I for the most part think refs do a decent job. However, 3 games that I have watched this year weren't refed very well. I watch other games not just JC. A couple of games the refs appeared to be not aware of the rules. cause two would look at one and the one was making all the calls. Not bashing here just an observation.

We had fun about the anti elderly ref. Better to laugh at this than be upset. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the information. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> i think all the above suggestions are great. I'm also glad that someone posts with the approriate wording cause I'm not tactful. I for the most part think refs do a decent job. However, 3 games that I have watched this year weren't refed very well. I watch other games not just JC. A couple of games the refs appeared to be not aware of the rules. cause two would look at one and the one was making all the calls. Not bashing here just an observation.

We had fun about the anti elderly ref. Better to laugh at this than be upset. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> thanks again for the info.

All interesting comments ....As someone posted earlier - I almost did laugh when I heard the assistant's comment...I didn't smile, though...You always stay in control and hold your composure, whether your upset or not.....

I warned the head coach about his assistant's comment after assessing, not accessing, the first technical.....No more problems and the game flowed to the end....Thanks for the opinions...