Cookeville vs Sparta

Mr. Walton

Yeah,the sound systems stink in the gym & on the football field!

Why I don't know!?.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Congrats 85,that's 2 in 7 years at Cookeville!(according to mackie)

Honestly,Sparta has a better team and should've won. I couldn't believe the Cavs had a lead at the end of the 3rd!

Great game though,just like I thought! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

THE SQUAD /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

And that's 5 wins in a row. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of good coaches.

You gonna be at next weeks game in Sparta? If you are your gonna get to see whited again.

Wouldnt you love to see another Whited/King battle? Those games never let you down.

I try to make it a point to go to the game at Sparta every year and this year will be no different. You dont see many rivalries when it comes to coaches, but I think Whited and King def had one, no doubt its the premier game in the district when both teams are near the top

I think your confused, Oakland has about 1400 students or so, doesnt have the big pool of athletes to draw from like Riverdale does with a school of over 2200 students. You guys also get all the best talent in your county, so to me that falls on deaf ears. I am glad you dont want to trade, because I dont want to trade Randy's 518 wins, 13 district titles, 6 region championships, 11 substate/sectional appearances, 5 state tourney appearances, as well as 18 consecutive 20 win seasons. And before you called me biased, ask anybody who doesnt have a bias who is the best in this district and I bet the answer isnt Eric Mitchell? Doesnt mean Mitchell isnt a fine coach, he really is, because not at the level of King, he's going to need to have Sparta at this level for a long time in order to get that kind of a reputation.

I have been to football games Oakland would have between 75-100 players on the sideline. White County would be trying to play with 27 players. It can fall on deaf ears but the fact is you do have us beat on the numbers. Murfreesboro is one of the the fastest growing county/city in the state. I know it doesn't matter as much in basketball. I can remember back when WC first went to 7AAA King would bring teams in here that looked like NCAA teams. We had been used to playing teams like Livingston and Carthage. He had our guys beat when he walked in the door. I have sat through many beatings at the hands of King and Oakland so yes he has a good record but he's usually talent laden.We're both biased. I'll grant you if you ask anyone without a bias they would say Randy is better . But when you factor in the way you beat us on the numbers and factor in he's been coachig 25-30 years with talent laden teams and no gold ball. I'll take the young Mitchell over King.

0 just like kings number of gold balls!!!!!

I have been to football games Oakland would have between 75-100 players on the sideline. White County would be trying to play with 27 players. It can fall on deaf ears but the fact is you do have us beat on the numbers. Murfreesboro is one of the the fastest growing county/city in the state. I know it doesn't matter as much in basketball. I can remember back when WC first went to 7AAA King would bring teams in here that looked like NCAA teams. We had been used to playing teams like Livingston and Carthage. He had our guys beat when he walked in the door. I have sat through many beatings at the hands of King and Oakland so yes he has a good record but he's usually talent laden.We're both biased. I'll grant you if you ask anyone without a bias they would say Randy is better . But when you factor in the way you beat us on the numbers and factor in he's been coachig 25-30 years with talent laden teams and no gold ball. I'll take the young Mitchell over King.

2priceless probably knows more about this than I do, but when you take the area that Oakland draws kids from, I will be willing to bet that its a smaller area in terms of land and numbers than what White Co gets. Riverdale has a school of 2200, yet they are probably going to finish 7th in the district, so I guess the numbers game is just your token excuse whenever White Co cant get things to go their way.

Randy has had good talent, but he's never had great talent. What seperates him from the rest is that he takes guys that have moderate talent, nothing special, and puts it together in a system that flourishes in a team enviroment, Oakland has never been a one trick pony in terms of relying on one guy, even Chiasson didnt average 20 pts a game and its extremely rare to see any Oakland player do so. If he had some of the sick talent these Memphis teams gets every year or even the once in every 25 years kind of talent White Co had at one time with Jolly, Gribble and Austin. Gold Balls do not make a man, and thats the only criticism that anybody can put on Randy. Dan Marino never won a championship, but does that mean he's a bum, of course not, so the gold ball argument doesnt fly either. You need to be good and have some luck to win a state championship, White Co got a little bit of both. Am I bitter? No, they were a fine representative of our district those 2 seasons, but championships arent the end-all you make them out to be

BTW, if im not mistaken, White Co joined 7-AAA in 84, Randy didnt take over till 87 and really didnt start hitting it rich until 1990, SO iits gone both ways over the years, Oakland has had some great teams as well as Sparta. I am a numbers guy, and even if you ignore all of Randy's career accomplishments, then just look at his record head to head against Mitchell. Now if Mitchell starts catching up maybe I will consider him being as good as Randy, but at this point its not even close.

Thats only cause WC isn't good in football. About 10 years ago they had alot more than 27 players on the sideline.

To put my 2 cents worth in, Mitchell has had plenty of talent the last few years and vastly underachieved. He put together a nice team last year and granted, he is currently having a fine year, but I can't forget the problems he has had in the past.

Randy King just doesn't have off years. I agree his 'Talent' pool is much greater than White Co.'s (although his overall student numbers may not be), but in my mind that doesn't diminish what he has accomplished. He takes the talent and then he produces. Several years ago, when Siegel first opened its doors, he lost Oden, Jones, Ramsey and Roper, among others. It didn't seem to set him back one little bit.

I'll take Randy King over Mitchell. As a matter of fact, I will take Keil, Turnham and Bray as well.

To put my 2 cents worth in, Mitchell has had plenty of talent the last few years and vastly underachieved. He put together a nice team last year and granted, he is currently having a fine year, but I can't forget the problems he has had in the past.

Randy King just doesn't have off years. I agree his 'Talent' pool is much greater than White Co.'s (although his overall student numbers may not be), but in my mind that doesn't diminish what he has accomplished. He takes the talent and then he produces. Several years ago, when Siegel first opened its doors, he lost Oden, Jones, Ramsey and Roper, among others. It didn't seem to set him back one little bit.

I'll take Randy King over Mitchell. As a matter of fact, I will take Keil, Turnham and Bray as well.

Thankyou for noticing the talent pool.Mitchell is excellent at setting up game plans. He is an excellent game coach calling time outs at the right time and making crucial adjustments during the game and at halftime.The most negative thing I can say about Mitchell is I don't think he has developed his bench players or used them as he should have. WC has a great starting 5 then he plays two alternates for the most part. Thats about it. I'd say the odds of winning a gold ball with 7 players is very unlikely. Not impossibe. But highly unlikely. Good teams in the region the substate and defenitely the state will get the big guns in foul trouble and he's going to have to use the bench.Then we're hurting because he's not allowed them to gain experience. So I can point out the negative about Mitchell. Maybe he's not quite the god you folks make King out to be.Lol!I'm so happy I'm gonna see God next week in Sparta.

Thankyou for noticing the talent pool.Mitchell is excellent at setting up game plans. He is an excellent game coach calling time outs at the right time and making crucial adjustments during the game and at halftime.The most negative thing I can say about Mitchell is I don't think he has developed his bench players or used them as he should have. WC has a great starting 5 then he plays two alternates for the most part. Thats about it. I'd say the odds of winning a gold ball with 7 players is very unlikely. Not impossibe. But highly unlikely. Good teams in the region the substate and defenitely the state will get the big guns in foul trouble and he's going to have to use the bench.Then we're hurting because he's not allowed them to gain experience. So I can point out the negative about Mitchell. Maybe he's not quite the god you folks make King out to be.Lol!I'm so happy I'm gonna see God next week in Sparta.

Since have I stated Randy King to be GOD'S equal? You said Mitchell was the best coach in the district hands down and I sternly disagreed and backed it up with numbers, your just going off of opinion. The only negative thing anybody can pin on Randy King is that he hasnt won a state championship. Oakland has gotten even better as a program since Siegel has opened, losing that much talent would kill most programs, but Oakland has just gotten better.

Talent doesnt mean sh*t if you dont develop it.