Tri-County Seven - Week of 27 January, 2008

krichunaka

If Elizabethton wins tonight, they will not have to pull for the Lady Devils next week. A Cyclone win tonight would give South Greene their second conference loss, just as their win Tuesday gave Unicoi Co. its second loss. Elizabethton would just have one loss with a win tonight, and if they could then beat Happy Valley they would own the outright title. In this scenario, if Happy Valley were to upset Elizabethton then the Lady Cyclones would finish in a first place tie with the Unicoi Co./ South Greene winner. Nice try Krich, but it is hard for a true orange-blooded Cyclone to pull for Unicoi Co. I think the key tonight will be keeping Pietrowski on the floor and taking care of the ball. South Greene is real good and it is a very tough place to play. To win, the Cyclones will have to play a great game and battle hard for every possession for a full 32 minutes. I hope the officiating is at least tolerable. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

I am sure SG hopes the Officiating is tolerable and not four starters in foul trouble like at EHS the whole 1st half.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I can't speak for Highlander, but I've been too busy to post lately. Tonight is a must win game for the Lady Highlanders. They are on a 2 game skid and their confidence is at a season low. They go into this game very vulnerable and considering it is in Greene Co., its going to be even harder. A lot of the Highlanders problems have been with their heads being more into things off the court than on the court. They need to get it together or they may be looking at a 3rd seed in the tournaments. I hope all the Highlander fans will rally around them and help them get back the edge.

If Elizabethton wins tonight, they will not have to pull for the Lady Devils next week. A Cyclone win tonight would give South Greene their second conference loss, just as their win Tuesday gave Unicoi Co. its second loss. Elizabethton would just have one loss with a win tonight, and if they could then beat Happy Valley they would own the outright title. In this scenario, if Happy Valley were to upset Elizabethton then the Lady Cyclones would finish in a first place tie with the Unicoi Co./ South Greene winner. Nice try Krich, but it is hard for a true orange-blooded Cyclone to pull for Unicoi Co. I think the key tonight will be keeping Pietrowski on the floor and taking care of the ball. South Greene is real good and it is a very tough place to play. To win, the Cyclones will have to play a great game and battle hard for every possession for a full 32 minutes. I hope the officiating is at least tolerable. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

IF Elizabethton wins tonight, I would Definitely expect Lady Cyclones fans to be rooting for the Lady Blue Devils. A win at Happy Valley shouldn't be easy, and in fact, if the Lady Warriors play up to their potential, then their chances against Elizabethton aren't bad at all. Happy Valley went into overtime twice with Unaka, and lost in overtime by one to the Lady Blue Devils. The game next week with Happy Valley should be a good one.

Scoreboard says South Greene wins 64-60 in overtime. It must have been a good one. As I understand it, Elizabethton drew the worst tiebreaker outcome in the preseason coaches meeting. Even if Unicoi Co. were to beat South Greene and Elizabethton were to beat Happy Valley, the Cyclones will finish third. I have a feeling these three teams will be banging on each other in the District and Regional tournaments. I still think two of them have a great shot at the sub-state. Go Cyclones!!!!!

Scoreboard says South Greene wins 64-60 in overtime. It must have been a good one. As I understand it, Elizabethton drew the worst tiebreaker outcome in the preseason coaches meeting. Even if Unicoi Co. were to beat South Greene and Elizabethton were to beat Happy Valley, the Cyclones will finish third. I have a feeling these three teams will be banging on each other in the District and Regional tournaments. I still think two of them have a great shot at the sub-state. Go Cyclones!!!!!

Got to hear a little of the game on the radio. Elizabethton had a 3 point lead with little time on the clock with South Greene throwing the ball in. South Greene missed the 3 point attempt and got it's own rebound, threw up a shot (which went in) and was fouled. The girl made the free throw which sent the game into over time, where South Greene pulled ahead and won. They said something about 2 South Greene girls fouling out early and 1 getting injuried. Wasn't sure exactly what they said. Didn't say anything about the Elizabethton foul situation. Maybe fan or Krich will let us know. Question is why wasn't Elizabethton running from the ball on the first missed attempt? Bad mistake to make this time of the year. I'm sure Coach Dugger will work on that part of the game. Believe they did say Elizabethton jumped out to a lead and South Greene battled back towards the end. Hopefully someone else will be able to give more details.

Unaka 12 - Hampton 7 after one.

Unaka 20 - Hampton 14 at the half.

Unaka 34 - Hampton 26 end of three.

Final: Unaka 44 - Hampton 39.

Unaka had the lead throughout the game, and in fact, the Lady Rangers had a few double-digit leads, but the Lady Bulldogs stayed in the game by hitting six Threes, and forcing several turnovers. The Lady Rangers hit only 2-15 three-point attempts; 10-of-42 over all.

Twenty-three turnovers for each team. UN-officially, Unaka hit twenty-of twenty-four free-throws; Hampton was 9-of-17, three of those misses, front-enders.

Brittany Scott didn't hit a basket, but went ten-for-ten foul-shots.

Kayla Winters scored ten points and blocked four shots, but fouled out with 1:47 remaining.

Natalie Johnson led Unaka with 11.

Kaleigh Elsea scored nine.

Chesnie Cox played well, though in foul trouble (ended the game with four personals).

Danielle Jones played very well. She had four steals, and hit two free-throws at 31.1 to put Unaka up by six, 44-38.

Josie McKinney went hot for three second-half threes, and hit three-of-four free-throws in the fourth quarter to lead all scorers with a dozen.

Mikki Oliver scored six of her 8 points in the second half.

Kelly Stout scored five;

Lana Hicks hit for four

Sarah Calhoun and Maci Lewis each hit a three

Megan Holtsclaw scored 2

Mary Beth Ingram and Chelsea Weddle each scored one.

Cloudland won by 11 - 44-33.

Coachh17, Does Elizabethton's overtime loss put the Lady Cyclones back in Erwin's corner?

To be quite honest EHS snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night at SG. Up 6 with under 30 seconds to go, EHS missed some FTs, turned the ball over, and made a bad foul at the end... and SG took full advantage. EHS was 4-9 in FTs in the last minute of regulation. The foul at the end was the clincher.

In OT, SG got the ball and hit a 3, EHS hit a 2, SG hit another 3, and EHS hit a 2.....all in the first minute of OT. Then SG holds the ball against EHS's zone and while EHS tried to trap, SG took care of the ball, as the clock went under a minute. SG gets fouled and misses the front end, so EHS has the ball down 2 with about 40 seconds to go, but SG steals the ball and EHS is forced to foul, and this time SG hits both with under 15 seconds to go for the final tally.

Just a heartbreaking loss for EHS. But one they can and should learn from. They played SG off their feet in their own gym for 31 1/2 minutes. Come tournament time you must close out games like this. That is the bright side. Its not tournament time.

To be quite honest EHS snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night at SG. Up 6 with under 30 seconds to go, EHS missed some FTs, turned the ball over, and made a bad foul at the end... and SG took full advantage. EHS was 4-9 in FTs in the last minute of regulation. The foul at the end was the clincher.

In OT, SG got the ball and hit a 3, EHS hit a 2, SG hit another 3, and EHS hit a 2.....all in the first minute of OT. Then SG holds the ball against EHS's zone and while EHS tried to trap, SG took care of the ball, as the clock went under a minute. SG gets fouled and misses the front end, so EHS has the ball down 2 with about 40 seconds to go, but SG steals the ball and EHS is forced to foul, and this time SG hits both with under 15 seconds to go for the final tally.

Just a heartbreaking loss for EHS. But one they can and should learn from. They played SG off their feet in their own gym for 31 1/2 minutes. Come tournament time you must close out games like this. That is the bright side. Its not tournament time.

Having watched the Lady Cyclones throughout the summer, then the home game against Unicoi County, the contrast is almost unbelievable. All our teams are vastly improved, and of course, Elizabethton was playing without Mariah last summer/fall, but at times the Lady Cyclones were downright dreadful. Last Tuesday's win, and the win over the Lady Rebels in Elizabethton, is demonstrative of their resilience.

But don't nobody (today's grammar lesson) tell coachh17 I was bragging on them. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Ok, ok, I'll cry uncle. I hope Unicoi Co. beats South Greene to give Elizabethton a chance at a three way tie, providing Elizabethton beats Happy Valley. Even though the tiebreaker will give the Cyclones a three seed, the tie would keep alive their conference title streak. We are going to see some great games in the District and Regional tournaments.