copperheads

99ginger

Where are the Copperheads from? They did a great job at the Dickson tournament. I'm not use to my son having his butt handed to him like the Copperheads did. (which I personally think it was a good thing, he was starting to get a little cocky, this butt kicking he received was exactly what he needed!) I wanted to let them know I thought they were a good and a tough team! Good job!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the Copperheads from? They did a great job at the Dickson tournament. I'm not use to my son having his butt handed to him like the Copperheads did. (which I personally think it was a good thing, he was starting to get a little cocky, this butt kicking he received was exactly what he needed!) I wanted to let them know I thought they were a good and a tough team! Good job!

The Copperheads are out of Nashville. They have been around since the mid 90s I think and were a fixture in the old Future Champions (FCI) youth wrestling league. The head guy used to be former Overton State Champion and UTC wrestler Chuck " The Mean Wrestling Machine" Bean. Don't know who is in charge now. Among others, its alumni include current college coach and Overton wrestler Casey Brewster, Ensworth Head Coach Johnny Rich, FRA's Cody Taylor ( son of Coach Marc Taylor), Father Ryan's 3 time state champion Aaron Bateman and current wrestlers Cameron Croy (Brentwood), Reed Gibbs (Brentwood), Mike Goodrum (Father Ryan), Carlos Calloway (BA), John Floyd (MBA), and Daniel Todd (MBA). Featured great instruction from a lot of guys, some of them dads, who wrestled in high school and college back before Title IX caused colleges to drop wrestling. If it is still blowing and going and you have a young kid in the Nashville area who wants to improve his wrestling skills, this is one program I would look at.

Thank you for the kind words , BuckLateral . I am one of the "coaching Dads" . I got tricked into wrestling about 7 yrs. ago . My son called me @ work and said coach wants me to wrestle , cause he says I am the right weight . Because of Copperheads he went to state 3 times in High School finishing 4th once. We started back when you went anywhere you could find a tournament . Just like Bearcat & Mr. Cleveland had posted stories about, a few weeks past . My son would wrestle kids in his weight class named J.M. Simpson , Bauki , Konz , and Cash became better after each match . We would face other clubs like Mocsters from Chattanooga . And still faced them all during Middle & High School . I have a 13 & 8 yr. olds wrestling now . And wouldn't give it up for anything ! Now adays if you expect you child or School or team to make any noise , you better start young . I would rather wrestle in a singlet than dribble in my shorts !!!!

ps. to 99ginger - great Coaches room @ Dickson tourn. I gained 3#

Don't forget the Tornado Club. They've turned out some outstanding wrestlers. There's no cost to be a part of this great organization, only nominal tournament entry fees, and the training a kid gets is second to none!

They take ANY kid from the first grade to the eighth. The kids have fun and learn solid fundamentals at the same time.

If I ever have a grand kid (hurry up boy) that's where he'll wrestle.

Don't forget the Tornado Club. They've turned out some outstanding wrestlers. There's no cost to be a part of this great organization, only nominal tournament entry fees, and the training a kid gets is second to none!

They take ANY kid from the first grade to the eighth. The kids have fun and learn solid fundamentals at the same time.

If I ever have a grand kid (hurry up boy) that's where he'll wrestle.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Just because they gave your sons mommie extra attention, and bought your boy a Gatorade, is no reason to abuse your grandson like that. What about the OLFFFFFFFFFFFERS.. Harry and I are so tired of hearing about THE TORNADO CLUB, that if we hear you speak of them again, secrets will be exposed

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

What so great about Copperhead Wrestling is all of the other clubs that have branched off from that club. The wrestling machine and I were talking this weekend about the mid 90's when the copperheads were nomads practicing at Ryan, Overton and McGavock and at that time it was hard to get a mid state kids tourney together with enough kids wrestle. Now with all of the mid state teams it's not hard to bring in 300 to a kids tourney. And look how many youth tourneys there are this year. My hats off to Chuck and his vision for youth wrestling.

Plus Chuck doesn't bite his wrestlers like they do in PA !!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Thats because he doesn't have many of his teeth left! All kidding aside, middle TN owes a huge debt of thanks to Chuck Bean and the other original Copperhead leaders for how wrestling has developed in Middle TN. All you have to do is look at the development of the Brentwood High Wrestling Team and you'll see pretty much all former Copperheads with names like: Croy, Overmyer, Thomas, Doggett, Hoop, Bridges, Whitehead, Story, ............

Let me add to the thread by lauding the Copperheads program. Chuck and all of the coaches really have a passion for what they do. And I'm convinced that they are trully doing it for the development of the kids and for wrestling in Middle Tennessee.

A perfect example of this dedication occurred this past fall. My son had never wrestled at all and decided to try it at his middle school. It was a good experience for him and he really became enthralled with the sport. Unfortunately, he had very little time to "learn" the sport and was really struggling with what to do in a match. Over Thanksgiving, Chuck was gracious enough to work with him on his own and he spent 3 days of the Thanksgiving break working him while the rest of the middle school team took a break. My son came back after the break not only in better condition, but the improvement was noticeable in all facets of his technique. He was more confident and at least knew some things to do and had some answers.

This has been a good winter for him and I'm sure that he will continue to learn and grow as a result of the Copperheads and the coaches that take the time. He is excited about wrestling in Clarksville this weekend.

As is evident from my signature, my wrestling knowledge is limited. But I'm learning fast what a wonderful sport it is.

Is this the same Chuck Bean known around the worrld as "Mean Chuck Bean, the Wrestling Machine"?

Bravo for all he has done for wrestlers around the Middle Tennessee area as well as the state. Chuck does not have a son involved and does this for the love of the sport.

Thanks!

The same, though I thought he was known as Chuck "The Mean Wrestling Machine" Bean. He's mean when he wrestles, but off the mat he's kind of a softy--------though I wouldn't want to be the first boy to take out his daughter-----he might go into the "Mean Wrestling Machine" mode if I didn't have her home on time.