Powell Panthers

IrishBBall

Looks like the Panthers are struggling with a blow out loss to Farragut and a loss to Clinton. Not exactly a streak you want heading into Feb. Can't shoot 50-60% from the 3 point line every night. Any explanations?

Mocs30- Were you the rudder that kept the ship on course? With your astute legal skills, can't you present a case for the re-instatement of volunteer coaches to Knox Co. I still have yet to figure out the wisdom in doing away with volunteer coaches when you struggle to get 1 good coach and have very capable people (like yourself) willing to help for nothing except love of the game and school.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can have volunteer coaches but they have to be teachers in the school system?

Also I believe there were some problems with non teaching volunteer coaches recruiting etc... and the system had no way to hold them accountable. This is certainly unfortunate for those like Moc who volunteered and did a great job.

As for the mighty Panthers. It appears they may be in a bit of a slump. I trust they will come out of it in the not so distant future.

I think you can have volunteer coaches but they have to be teachers in the school system?

Also I believe there were some problems with non teaching volunteer coaches recruiting etc... and the system had no way to hold them accountable. This is certainly unfortunate for those like Moc who volunteered and did a great job.

As for the mighty Panthers. It appears they may be in a bit of a slump. I trust they will come out of it in the not so distant future.

If they are in the school system, they are more than likely going to be (poorly) paid assistant coaches. It's probably a case of a very few rogue volunteers. I think boosters are more to fault for recruiting problems than coaches.

Mocs30 - Silly question but how is Jason Barnes still helping at Bearden?

I might be mistaken, but since Barnes has been there so long, he is actually considered an assistant coach through the TSSAA. I believe the rule used to be if you were a volunteer coach and you were registered with the TSSAA for 3 years then you were then considered an assistant coach, and could actually get paid. I know this might not be completely accurate, but it has been a while since it was explained to me.

I might be mistaken, but since Barnes has been there so long, he is actually considered an assistant coach through the TSSAA. I believe the rule used to be if you were a volunteer coach and you were registered with the TSSAA for 3 years then you were then considered an assistant coach, and could actually get paid. I know this might not be completely accurate, but it has been a while since it was explained to me.

I think that's probably it. I think the magic number was 5 years with the TSSAA. Actually after that 5 year period, you can be a head coach without being a teacher in the system.

Of course, in their infinite wisdom, Knox Co. has nixed the possibility of anyone getting in their 5 years if they didn't already have it. The only alternative would be to coach or volunteer at a TSSAA private school or out of the county and come back. The only problem I see (other than the rogue coach) is one school loading up on volunteer coaches and having college size staffs when some schools may only have 2 for basketball, not to mention the staffs you could put together for football.

I got curious and looked it up. This is where Barnes probably falls in because I believe he has been there for over 5 years.

E. A person who has served as a non-faculty assistant coach in football, basketball, baseball, girls' softball, and track may become a head coach in that sport if that person has five or more years of experience as an assistant coach and has taken the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course and completed the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session. This is from page 10 of the Handbook.

I also found out if you are using a volunteer coach and they havent gone through the TSSAA the chool will be fined $500. Interesting because I know a lot of schools that would get nailed by this rule.

I got curious and looked it up. This is where Barnes probably falls in because I believe he has been there for over 5 years.

E. A person who has served as a non-faculty assistant coach in football, basketball, baseball, girls' softball, and track may become a head coach in that sport if that person has five or more years of experience as an assistant coach and has taken the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course and completed the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session. This is from page 10 of the Handbook.

I also found out if you are using a volunteer coach and they havent gone through the TSSAA the chool will be fined $500. Interesting because I know a lot of schools that would get nailed by this rule.

That's what I thought once you mentioned it.

Not trying to stir up any controversy or call out any particular school and hate to single out Barnes and he's the first to spring to mind-BUT, if Knox County has "banned" volunteer coaches, even though it is acceptable within the TSSAA, how is he able to coach? Are we just talking semantics here with Asst vs. Volunteer? By defintion is the volunteer just an unpaid asst or can the rule be skirted by paying him $1?

MOCS?????

Been saying for a few weeks that Clinton was coming on strong. The addition of QB Stone has given them another athlete to complement Coach Lockard's aggressive style. Sophmores are really stepping up now too--CJ Alred throwing up 19 on Powell last night. Clinton is a team that has been down, but are extremely hungry and always expect to win. That is dangerous for 4AAA going into the tourney.

I'm really not going to comment on what other schools may or may not be doing. Coach Majors has made it clear that Powell is going to abide by the letter of the rules. I commend him for that and hope that other administrators have as much character as he does.

As for last year, we simply had a great team full of players who brought many qualities to the table. I was just happy to go along for the ride. I would not write off this year's team either. We have good players who are struggling a bit right now. Several guys on this team played big minutes last year and I am sure that we will be competitive come tournament time. We might even surprise someone.

While we're on it. Mocs, as you probably know me and my brother are in the same boat with the football team as you are with the basketball team due to the volunteer coaching rule. Any chance that with enough support we could get that thing over ruled? Just something thats been waying on my mind. I worked with the middle school this year and enjoyed it pretty well but nothing beats Friday night...

And like I said Powell is a team that can beat anyone or lost to just about anyone. Seymore is good enough to throw the team on his back at times but he can't do it alone. I haven't had a chance to see this team play all that much this year, but I know most of the kids pretty well, and I am confident that they will be a factor come tournament time. Coach Ogan is one of the best around and I won't ever count one of his teams out until theres no time left on the clock.