Independence's Scott Pettigrew and Isaac Baugh

donathan5507

Donathan,This is great news for such a new program like Indy.Any news about the rest of that stellar senior class? Stout, Consiglio, Veres, etc???

That is great news for Pettigrew and Baugh! Both of these players are very deserving and great football players as well as outstanding young men. It is hard to fathom why more of the Indy players are not getting more serious attention though. Especially considering that many players on teams that Indy dominated are receiving multiple offers. I understand that Consiglio was offered by a couple of NAIA schools; not sure of the situation for the others mentioned in the post above. Seems odd that a 5A State runner-up team is not getting more respect in the recruiting world.....

It's been a baffling process to say the least. I spoke to one of the assistant coaches and he told me that it's been very disheartening. There are kids in this senior class that are definitely capable of playing at the next level (Consiglio, Stout, Coffey, Veres) but aren't getting any serious looks.

Part of it is probably the fact that Indy is still a new program and wasn't seriously respected until this year, and part of it is--in my opinion--the narrow-mindedness of some college coaches and scouts. Typically, these "experts" want kids that only fit a certain mold and don't accept that there are kids out there who are just FOOTBALL players regardless of size.

Too bad for those coaches...while they're busy signing 6-5 260 pound linemen that aren't intense or quick enough to ever pan out, kids like Consiglio--the West team's defensive MVP of the state all star game and an All-State selection--will just be regular students at different institutions throughout the nation. It's a real shame if you ask me.

Congrats to those with offers. Tell the others don't give up. Tomorrow is just the first day of signing. Colleges can still offer after this day. There's a other very good teams who have fell short up to this point. Consiglio, I'm sure will get an offer. Many players sign letters of intent that are still contingent on trying to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements. Some may not and in May these colleges will come running in search of players to fill the void. Hunters Lane had one of the top defenses in the state. I thought surely there would have more offers.

congrats to both players and i wish them well at Buffalo. Not sure if any saw "tennessean paper" today but didnt Pearl Cohn get 14 players on scholarship? Does the Indy coaching staff send out any information (DVD's ) to universitys about its players? Although team finished as a runnerup it does not guarantee any more reason for scholarships, i can assure all that many DIV 1 coaches were in the stands @ MTSU for the championship game as well as over 20 small school aka. Austin Peay etc. Seeing Ryan Consiglio play and on tape not sure why some smaller school have noit been in contact wtih him

Congrats to both Baugh and Pettigrew!

The coaches at Independence have been hard at work on getting these young men's names out to the colleges. However one thing alot of the rest of this class lacked was speed. Unfortunately at the next level 5.0 and 4.9 40s don't really cut it at skill positions. Also a lack of size at their college position(s) they would have has steered coaches away. (Which in my opinion doesn't make sense...if the kid can play he can play...regardless of size.) I don't really buy into the whole "new school" reason as to why they were or are not being recruited. One other thing (and i hate to type it) is that this 5a region was way down this year and in-state college coaches/recruiters know this (whether you believe it or not) due to the fact that they follow in-state high school football more than out of state schools similar to themselves do as part of the whole recruiting process (just take a look at TTU or Carson-Newman's recruiting classes this year). I wish the rest of the young men the best of luck in their future, on or off the playing field. A couple of them would make great walk-ons at different schools.

Congrats to those with offers. Tell the others don't give up. Tomorrow is just the first day of signing. Colleges can still offer after this day. There's a other very good teams who have fell short up to this point. Consiglio, I'm sure will get an offer. Many players sign letters of intent that are still contingent on trying to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements. Some may not and in May these colleges will come running in search of players to fill the void. Hunters Lane had one of the top defenses in the state. I thought surely there would have more offers.

don't waite go see the coaches yourself. take a highlight dvd,your stats,your grades,why you want to play for them,and that you want a education. they will talk to you face to face. the comotion of signing day is over,now they have time to really look at you. DONT WAITE ! GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Congrats to both Baugh and Pettigrew!

The coaches at Independence have been hard at work on getting these young men's names out to the colleges. However one thing alot of the rest of this class lacked was speed. Unfortunately at the next level 5.0 and 4.9 40s don't really cut it at skill positions. Also a lack of size at their college position(s) they would have has steered coaches away. (Which in my opinion doesn't make sense...if the kid can play he can play...regardless of size.) I don't really buy into the whole "new school" reason as to why they were or are not being recruited. One other thing (and i hate to type it) is that this 5a region was way down this year and in-state college coaches/recruiters know this (whether you believe it or not) due to the fact that they follow in-state high school football more than out of state schools similar to themselves do as part of the whole recruiting process (just take a look at TTU or Carson-Newman's recruiting classes this year). I wish the rest of the young men the best of luck in their future, on or off the playing field. A couple of them would make great walk-ons at different schools.

Today football coaches look for potential. They seem to care less and less about what you have done in the past and really zone in on the potential you may have to become the type of football player they want you to be. Its all about size in speed in todays world. You could be a three- year starter, an all region, all state selection and mvp and play in all star games but in the end they ask the question does this guy have the potential to play at this level for four years. For many its no for some its yes and thats how it goes. I have no idea why you think signings were down due to the region being down. They have had the past 2-3 years to play against good players, A weak region is no excuse. In the end it comes down to the coach and he determines which have the potential to play at the next level.