New Knox Co. HS

643-dp

Is the Leon Daugherty you were talking about the same one that coached and taught at Halls back in the 90's? What qualifications would he have over this new guy? Has he ever been a Head Coach? Sounds to me like the "good old boys" took a beating on this hire! Give this man time to prove he is worth his salt. Sounds like he is young enough to provide energy for a new program.

Good luck coach!

No he never was at Halls. For your "good old boys" comment. You will not find 3 men that have been loyal to Knox Co. as these 3 guys. For you to insult these 3 men, proves you have no idea about thier character. I don't think anyone has ever uttered a negative word about any one of them.

I may have been a little harse in my last comment. I am disappointed to say the least.

Coach Jones may be young enough to bring plenty of energy to the program. I am just concerned if he is old enough to handle the pressure of a new program, that is going to hit many pot holes before it gets rolling. Dealing with the demanding parents, that will call for his head after every loss.

I wish him all the luck in the world too. I am just not willing to send my son there. He has worked too hard and is an athletic enough to play anywhere in this city. I played D-1 football at NC State. My son is a better player than i ever thought about being.

Due to my lack of knowledge of Coach Jones, I will be sending my son to another program. This may be a mistake on my part. I will know that in 4 yrs. The only thing, I will be out of is a 4 yrs of tuition.

Best wishes to Coach Jones andto HVA. I look forward to the competition.

Sorry if I sounded to negative earlier.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon Daugherty taught Historey at Halls HS in the late 90's unless I am totally off base and their are 2 Leon Daugherty's that coached in Knox Co. Left and went to Bearden with Coach Young. I did not mean to question anyone's character particular any of these 3 men. I'm not that old but I have heard many good things about Coaches Young and Maynard. I know both of them had HC experience. I don't think Coach Daugherty had ever been a HC, and I have not heard any negative comments about him.

My "good old boy" comment stems from coaches in this system that seem to reappear and take a job and hire older experienced coaches to come and coach with them, then suddenly retire. More often then not they go to a private school and draw retirement and a full salary from the privates and coach with a good old boy that has dune the same thing. You have to admit a lot of this has happened over the years. AND NOT ALL OF IT HAS BEEN BAD EITHER!!!!

Coach Jones seems to really have things going really well so far. I noticed someone mentioned something about Paul Maynard...wonder if he is going to HV to be an assistant? I also noticed that someone asked why he was only an assistant at AE...no disrespect to AE intended, but Coach Jones is a white guy. Coach Jones is a thirty year old guy who will bring a lot of energy and knowledge about the sport to starting a brand new program.

Kids taxi, do what you want with you child, but sending him elsewhere to do lack of knowledge is showing your lack of faith in the new coach, therefore you are probably a parent that coach jones would prefer not to have at this point. I think you should rethink your decision.

Good luck Coach! I am anxious to see who/when you name as your assistants!

Coach Jones seems to really have things going really well so far. I noticed someone mentioned something about Paul Maynard...wonder if he is going to HV to be an assistant? I also noticed that someone asked why he was only an assistant at AE...no disrespect to AE intended, but Coach Jones is a white guy. Coach Jones is a thirty year old guy who will bring a lot of energy and knowledge about the sport to starting a brand new program.

Kids taxi, do what you want with you child, but sending him elsewhere to do lack of knowledge is showing your lack of faith in the new coach, therefore you are probably a parent that coach jones would prefer not to have at this point. I think you should rethink your decision.

Good luck Coach! I am anxious to see who/when you name as your assistants!

Yes, it is a lack of faith. Why, I never heard of Coach Jones before. If something or someone is a total mystery to you, your faith muscle would not be to strong either.

If you know Coach Jones, and you think he would not want me around, because of my lack of faith. Then I am making the right decision of not sending my son there. If the man is that fickle, then ever parent better watch out. I would guess that you don't know him. So, I shouldn't say that.

If UT hired, an assistant from North Dakota State, that no-one ever heard of. How good would your faith be in him. I may be proven wrong. I hope, I am for all HVA football players.

Here are a few questions, I asked myself to make my decision.

1. The school itself. Acoording to Mr. Ashe (AD). He does not know if the work-out facilities will be available this summer. So, thats a good chance that the team has no where to work out or get to know and bond with new team mates.

2. Coach Jones age. Is he mature enough, to handle the high demanding West Knox parents. Knowing that in a start-up program success is down the road not around the corner.

3. Coach Jones is not local. He has no roots in Knox Co. Is he in it for the long haul or a spring board to some where else.

4. J.V. schedule only for the 1st year.

Finally, this has to do with my sons future. The success of the program, may depend where he will play college ball. In his opinion and mine HVA is not the place for him. Sorry if my opinion differs than yours. My son may have more at stake than you. We worked out the final details yesterday with Catholic, and thats where he will play.

In closing, I would like to say. Good Luck and best wishes to all future players, staff, coaches,and parents to HVA. I hope you state championships all of your sports. I pray that you make great leaders out of all your students.

Yes, it is a lack of faith. Why, I never heard of Coach Jones before. If something or someone is a total mystery to you, your faith muscle would not be to strong either.

If you know Coach Jones, and you think he would not want me around, because of my lack of faith. Then I am making the right decision of not sending my son there. If the man is that fickle, then ever parent better watch out. I would guess that you don't know him. So, I shouldn't say that.

If UT hired, an assistant from North Dakota State, that no-one ever heard of. How good would your faith be in him. I may be proven wrong. I hope, I am for all HVA football players.

Here are a few questions, I asked myself to make my decision.

1. The school itself. Acoording to Mr. Ashe (AD). He does not know if the work-out facilities will be available this summer. So, thats a good chance that the team has no where to work out or get to know and bond with new team mates.

2. Coach Jones age. Is he mature enough, to handle the high demanding West Knox parents. Knowing that in a start-up program success is down the road not around the corner.

3. Coach Jones is not local. He has no roots in Knox Co. Is he in it for the long haul or a spring board to some where else.

4. J.V. schedule only for the 1st year.

Finally, this has to do with my sons future. The success of the program, may depend where he will play college ball. In his opinion and mine HVA is not the place for him. Sorry if my opinion differs than yours. My son may have more at stake than you. We worked out the final details yesterday with Catholic, and thats where he will play.

In closing, I would like to say. Good Luck and best wishes to all future players, staff, coaches,and parents to HVA. I hope you state championships all of your sports. I pray that you make great leaders out of all your students.

Kid...don't defend yourself. This decision must be made before the Frosh year. You can't look back. If he has D1 ability then do what you have to do. We all know it is about getting press assuming all else is equal. If you watch the parents who have been there you will see how they manuver to make it happen. There is a lot of posturing to be accomplished. By all means don't be in the stands his senior year wishing this or lamenting that. You are the manager...he is the talent...do your job so he can do his. He only gets one shot. Don't blow it. You will spend the rest of your life wondering. What is the percentage? 1%? You can stand in line or you can work. Trust me...been there done that. After all...it's only money.

Kid...don't defend yourself. This decision must be made before the Frosh year. You can't look back. If he has D1 ability then do what you have to do. We all know it is about getting press assuming all else is equal. If you watch the parents who have been there you will see how they manuver to make it happen. There is a lot of posturing to be accomplished. By all means don't be in the stands his senior year wishing this or lamenting that. You are the manager...he is the talent...do your job so he can do his. He only gets one shot. Don't blow it. You will spend the rest of your life wondering. What is the percentage? 1%? You can stand in line or you can work. Trust me...been there done that. After all...it's only money.

Thanks for the support...I do not have any "ill will" for HVA. We have just made the choice not to participate.