Greeneeville Greene Devils Win 4rth Straight Conference Championship

DevilMan03

All of District 1AA better be glad that the higher up's making the decisions who shouldn't be don't allow Greeneville to play where they belong which is in that Conference. Take all of GHS sports and put them in the following.

AAA- Football

AA- Every other sport

It would be a long year for alot of folks who play in those conferences. However don't worry because as I said the decision makers are to worried about keeping up with the big guys to let that happen. There happier with beating a DB Football team once every 32 years or making it to the state in basketball,wrestling,soccer instead of winning it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much fun as it is to watch everyone argue about who is better this year, I must say it is really quite irrelevant. The facts don't lie. While many people say the IMAC is the weakest conference around, it is still difficult to play an entire season against schools who have great athletes and finish with the records that Greeneville has the past decade. Year in and year out GHS has solid fundamental basketball teams and that is what wins ballgames for them. This year is a perfect example of that. Defense wins ballgames! The devils don't really have one player who stands out from the rest this year on offense like Wiggins did last year but their swarming defense has won games for them. Bill Duncan is one of the better coaches around and it shows on the floor when game time rolls around. I have no lie to tell anyone...I am NOT a Greene Devil fan at all, but I do have respect for their accomplishments every year.

Chuckey Doak has one of the best teams this year that they have had in YEARS. I tip my hat to the great season that they have had, but you can't reasonably compare what they have done this year to what Greeneville has done this year!!!

The Greene County schools did not stop playing Greeneville because they got killed every year. The majority of the time GHS did win the games, but some of the best, most intense games I have witnessed the past 15 years have been Greeneville vs. South Greene ballgames. For many years it didnt matter who the host school was it would be South Greene girls taking the win and Greeneville boys taking a win, and BOTH games were for the most part close, physical ballgames. I miss the old in-county rivalry games as I am sure most of the people in Greene County do.

The whole point of this post is that there is no reason for a bunch of high school kids from CD to get on here and try and say that Greeneville would get beat this year by any AA team around. There would be some great ballgames between them but there are not many teams that have a coach like ol' Billy D. and when it comes down to it...a lot of time great coaching will be the difference in winning and losing the game!! (Just like Larry Ricker at South Greene did for years!!) The IMAC may be down this year, but basketball across the state of Tennessee is down for the most part from where it has been in past years...and even though that is the case, we have still had plenty of GREAT games this season and I am sure we will have plenty more to come in the next few weeks during the tournaments!!

Good luck to all the players on all the Greeneville and Greene County teams. Go out there and represent G"VILLE well and win some ballgames for us! No matter if it is Greeneville High or North Greene, it is always good to see local teams make a good showing on the state-wide level!

All of District 1AA better be glad that the higher up's making the decisions who shouldn't be don't allow Greeneville to play where they belong which is in that Conference. Take all of GHS sports and put them in the following.

AAA- Football

AA- Every other sport

It would be a long year for alot of folks who play in those conferences. However don't worry because as I said the decision makers are to worried about keeping up with the big guys to let that happen. There happier with beating a DB Football team once every 32 years or making it to the state in basketball,wrestling,soccer instead of winning it.

This is slightly a skewed comment particularly since we don't play 5A DB (assuming you mean Dobyns Bennett and not Daniel Boone) And perhaps you can enlighten us...besides South Greene girls bball and, when was the last 1AA team to win state? How about 1 AAA football?

It will be interesting to see where Greeneville ends up with reclassification this year. New FB coach....who knows. Its doubtful ,though, considering the competition STATEWIDE in AA bball, that Greeneville would improve their chances of bringing home a gold ball. I would personally like to see some in-county rivalries renewed...South Greene and Chuckey Doak are a bit better competition than Madison County and Cumberland Gap and not nearly as far to drive.I don't, however, see it happening anytime soon.

well im very glad to see City and County schools makeing a name knowen for them selfs.. even though about everyone knows who greeneville is by now.. From the south greene girls getting back to the way they played ball back in the 80's bein ranked in state.. from the Chuckey doak boys bein ranked in state..Greeneville killing the imac every year.. its a great time to live in this area..cause i believe we as a county is catching up to Johnson city,Kingsport sports..But i didnt mean to come on here and fuss.. i guess its just the hate idk.. i do wish greeneville and county schools would play alot more... if the county would get over the hole money thing... but good luck to the devils in the torny.. hopefully Girls and boys for yall can make a state run.. and same for us and south greene!!!

well im very glad to see City and County schools makeing a name knowen for them selfs.. even though about everyone knows who greeneville is by now.. From the south greene girls getting back to the way they played ball back in the 80's bein ranked in state.. from the Chuckey doak boys bein ranked in state..Greeneville killing the imac every year.. its a great time to live in this area..cause i believe we as a county is catching up to Johnson city,Kingsport sports..But i didnt mean to come on here and fuss.. i guess its just the hate idk.. i do wish greeneville and county schools would play alot more... if the county would get over the hole money thing... but good luck to the devils in the torny.. hopefully Girls and boys for yall can make a state run.. and same for us and south greene!!!

Hey CDHS, glad to talk to you again. I don't think we need to go into the same conversation we had on another board. I would just like to congratulate you for your good showing this season and hopefully you will have better luck next year. For those of you that don't know, Chuckey Doak lost last night on their home floor to Elizabethton by 15. Say, didn't you say that they were terrible CDHS?

Yes i did.. but i cant say much bout the game.. they came out and wanted it more than us..we got the big head which is a new thing for us.. you know with the success and all this year.. Refs were horrilbe for both sides.. but that dont cause a game to be loss... 20 turnovers 9-18 at the foul line dont help either... are heads wasnt at the game they were at Girlfriends,next round ect.... but they are not good.. its just like the old motto says. any team can beat anyteam on any given day.. thats what happend... and its hard to beat a team 3 times... unless your unicoi lol

I don't get out to many HS basketball games anymore so I can't judge by this year but to say the likes of Chucky Doak...South Greene...or West Greene are better than the IMAC schools would be a stretch. My son played two years with a school that is in the same region as those schools before transferring to M-E in 2002 so I got a pretty good idea of the caliber of competition. In the two years he played at East their record vs. the three teams mentioned above was 12-0...they were also 4-0 vs Rutledge and 3-1 vs Claiborne and although East was much better than they were this year they did not win the IMAC, Greenville did.

Greenville has been the class of the IMAC for years in basketball...however they have been very fortunate to have talented transfers fall into their lap on an annual basis. Take some of those kids from Greenville and put them on other teams in the IMAC and the balance of power may have been different IMO.

I don't get out to many HS basketball games anymore so I can't judge by this year but to say the likes of Chucky Doak...South Greene...or West Greene are better than the IMAC schools would be a stretch. My son played two years with a school that is in the same region as those schools before transferring to M-E in 2002 so I got a pretty good idea of the caliber of competition. In the two years he played at East their record vs. the three teams mentioned above was 12-0...they were also 4-0 vs Rutledge and 3-1 vs Claiborne and although East was much better than they were this year they did not win the IMAC, Greenville did.

Greenville has been the class of the IMAC for years in basketball...however they have been very fortunate to have talented transfers fall into their lap on an annual basis. Take some of those kids from Greenville and put them on other teams in the IMAC and the balance of power may have been different IMO.

I guess, Daddy-o, you have to play the hand you're dealt...the balance of power will be tilted in Greeneville's favor as long as BillyD keeps attracting the talent...

I guess, Daddy-o, you have to play the hand you're dealt...the balance of power will be tilted in Greeneville's favor as long as BillyD keeps attracting the talent...

Exactly my point Barbie-girl...I am glad you agree...very fortunate since you can not recruit. Do you think that Greenville wins the IMAC this year without Short...or has the run they had without Wiggins? Duncan is a very good coach, but talented players like that sure does help.

Exactly my point Barbie-girl...I am glad you agree...very fortunate since you can not recruit. Do you think that Greenville wins the IMAC this year without Short...or has the run they had without Wiggins? Duncan is a very good coach, but talented players like that sure does help.

Why is the word "recruit" always thrown around when Duncan's name comes up? Maybe the word "reputation' is more appropriate. Unless you have been hiding in a cave in East Tennessee, Western NC, and Southwest VA,you have heard about Billy D and the quality program he runs. It should not come as such a shock that many parents would actually relocate their families to do what they think is best for their kids...Funny, parents can move across the country so their kids can train with a particular skating or gymnastic coach or pay thousands of dollars to send their kids to high dollar basketball "prep" schools and they are just helping little Susie or Johnny "live out their dream", but heaven forbid they would want to move 50 miles up the road to Greeneville so maybe talented little Billy can get a little scholly money for basketball by playing for a man with the knack for moving kids to the next level. Why do you even attempt to veil you accusation with the "very good coach" compliment? Most of the IMAC coaches are "very good" and somehow they aren't managing to attract the talent that the reputation for winning has provided Greeneville. So quit pretending to be graciously diplomatic Daddy-o and just say what you mean.

Why is the word "recruit" always thrown around when Duncan's name comes up? Maybe the word "reputation' is more appropriate. Unless you have been hiding in a cave in East Tennessee, Western NC, and Southwest VA,you have heard about Billy D and the quality program he runs. It should not come as such a shock that many parents would actually relocate their families to do what they think is best for their kids...Funny, parents can move across the country so their kids can train with a particular skating or gymnastic coach or pay thousands of dollars to send their kids to high dollar basketball "prep" schools and they are just helping little Susie or Johnny "live out their dream", but heaven forbid they would want to move 50 miles up the road to Greeneville so maybe talented little Billy can get a little scholly money for basketball by playing for a man with the knack for moving kids to the next level. Why do you even attempt to veil you accusation with the "very good coach" compliment? Most of the IMAC coaches are "very good" and somehow they aren't managing to attract the talent that the reputation for winning has provided Greeneville. So quit pretending to be graciously diplomatic Daddy-o and just say what you mean.

Either you are practicing to be a lawyer...or can not comprehend...I say a lawyer because you sure do like to argue. My original post said Greenville was fortunate to have talented transfers fall into their lap every year...that is a FACT...regardless of HOW they came by them. You said Billy D "attracted" them which is pretty vague if you ask me...and seems as though YOU are implying he recruits. My response was that they were indeed very FORTUNATE as I said in my original post since you CAN NOT recruit at the high school level. Somehow you twisted it that I said he WAS recruiting so somebody in the past must have accused him of it...but not me.

I do not live in a cave...but I do not visit the message boards very often as you can tell by the relative few posts in the number of years I have been a member. I am a retired teacher...part of which was spent at you guessed it Greenville high so I do know a little about the situation. As I said before coach Duncan is a very good coach...however he does not have a monopoly on BB knowledge and if you think that there aren't other coaches out there that would be just as successful with the talent he has had over the past ten years then I suggest you are the one living in a cave.

I hope this has cleared up my opinion on the subject...however considering your penchant for arguing it probably has not. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />