Coach Kevin Emily-Red Bank

FridayNightLights

I honestly was not close enough to judge whether or not at all the singlet was grabbed or anything like that, so i can't say whether the call was right or wrong.

Having said that, i don't think you guys are stepping in Emily's shoes. I, like Kevin, get TOTALLY emotionally involved with my kids and their matches. We are talking about a freshman kid, who you love, in the state semifinal match, with a call that decides whether he is in the finals or will be watching from the stands. If you feel this kid, who has worked his butt off the entire year to get to this point, only to have it taken away by a bogus call (so you feel). @ould you not do everything in your power to make sure that the call does not stand?

Whether you agree with his methods at all, (and i have to say, i would have reacted similarly (only difference is i still smile uncontrollably)) when you put yourself in his shoes, you can't help but understand.

Maybe the law of averages will one day even out but some schools seem to get the benefit of many more " close calls " than others particularly at this tournament. I clearly understand and can empathize with Coach Emily. Two referees only appears to double the chances of getting it wrong if you aren't one of the programs lady luck regularly smiles upon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have been sent home. He lost his mind, and the refs were weak to toss him.

i was 10 feet away...the ref made a bad call that decieded a finals match...

i think the reason the ref did not toss him was because he knew he made a bad call...

i certainly understood the coach's emotions...i would only hope i could hold it together during a situation like that...

Maybe the law of averages will one day even out but some schools seem to get the benefit of many more " close calls " than others particularly at this tournament. I clearly understand and can empathize with Coach Emily. Two referees only appears to double the chances of getting it wrong if you aren't one of the programs lady luck regularly smiles upon.

It's not LADY LUCK. It's one of the problems that I see with this sport. Probably in my opinion the biggest problem.

I don't care what you have to say, if you look at the matches you will see that local teams tend to get certain calls. And often what is perceived as the better wrestler (at the beginning of the match) gets the benefit of some of the calls. I'm not saying this is every situation, but I can name quite a few where some of the boys got shorted by a ref missing a call, or making the wrong call.

A referee has to be totally un-biased during a match, NO MATTER WHAT; and I do not believe this is the case. No realy other way to describe why some of the calls go the way they do. It's one of the sports that I really belive that the REF has so much influence on the outcome, and it doesn't seem to be getting addressed enough. I would love to see referees brought in for the state tournaments from other states where they know nothing about the boys, and they do not even ask about the tournament seedings.

There is a way to react to a bad call and a way not to, Emily doesn't accomplish anything by making a show out of it, the ref will never reverse a call when you call that much attention to him. If it was the wrong call and the ref was thinking about waving it off Emily sealed his wrestlers fate by blowing up the way he did. and to replay to your post 2blLeg refs will never be 100% completely unbias, they are human just like the rest of us. If you don't believe me sent your money into the TSSAA next year and put on them strips and see how it goes. Refs make bad calls at time, if you don't want a close call to decide a match go out there and take it out of the hands of the officials. But if you don't then dont complain when you leave it up to another to decide the outcome.

I honestly was not close enough to judge whether or not at all the singlet was grabbed or anything like that, so i can't say whether the call was right or wrong.

Having said that, i don't think you guys are stepping in Emily's shoes. I, like Kevin, get TOTALLY emotionally involved with my kids and their matches. We are talking about a freshman kid, who you love, in the state semifinal match, with a call that decides whether he is in the finals or will be watching from the stands. If you feel this kid, who has worked his butt off the entire year to get to this point, only to have it taken away by a bogus call (so you feel). @ould you not do everything in your power to make sure that the call does not stand?

Whether you agree with his methods at all, (and i have to say, i would have reacted similarly (only difference is i still smile uncontrollably)) when you put yourself in his shoes, you can't help but understand.

Coach Emily is a good man, role model, mentor. He funds his program from his on pocket, no booster club to help out to mean much. The school doesn't help out at all. We didn't even have one training bike this year for the kids to ride that were injured. He financed it himself, hotel rooms for kids that can't afford it Coach Emily, meal money Coach Emily. Red Bank has alot of good athlete's but very few that are wrestlers. When you have other sports programs at the school telling kids not to wrestle, they need to be training for football ect...it wears on you if wrestling is your passion. To wrestle for Coach is not easy, he demands perfection, perfect attendence at practice, he demands that each kid takes care of thier business. Coach Emily's mentality is not condusive to having a great many kids sticking with wrestling. I've begged him to let kids back on the team that misstepped because I wanted to try and have a full team to compete. When you only have 15 to 20 kids in the wrestling room it matters. Coach is still learning to handle the politics, but make no mistake Coach knows the rules, knows wrestling and can take you to the top if you want to make the sacrifice to be the best because it matters to him. He coached one of my son's at the age of 6 for the first time(Team Tennessee) and for the last four years all three of my son's, they love him. They know what he demands, and it drives them to be the best. We have decided to go another direction because the school system is in such dissaray in Chattanooga. If you've read the paper lately, then you know what I'm talking about. An for all the haters, you probably wan't understand until it's too late but I can handle pretty much everything in life, what I can't handle is looking in the mirror wondering if I've done everything in my control to prepare my kids for life. Much Love Coach!

Like Pattonboysdad I was sitting about 15 ft. from the mat and was intensely watching this match with BCB (he will have to post his own remarks) 3 points: 1) the official is not biased, but he is well known in wrestling circles (stripe shirts, coaches and fans) for getting things right or wrong and panicking. 2) I did not see the young RB wrestler grab anything. 3) Emily did complain about the FRA kid singlet strap dropping and the FRA wrestler grabbing his boy's singlet. (I did see the shoulder strap drop 2 times for sure and maybe 3.)

Interesting notes: I was for the FRA wrestler, great kid.

The FRA wrestler was penalized in the finals for grabbing a singlet. Please correct me on this if I"m wrong.

As I left the Gym I told coach E, I hated how he was treated. I've seen a lot of coaches go nuts in my 37 straight years of attending the states as a wrestler, coach, administrator and fan. but this was the 1st time I have seen a security guard on the mat when a man loudly pleads his case. No profanity, no anger, no threatening motions, just loud and upset.

It's not LADY LUCK. It's one of the problems that I see with this sport. Probably in my opinion the biggest problem.

I don't care what you have to say, if you look at the matches you will see that local teams tend to get certain calls. And often what is perceived as the better wrestler (at the beginning of the match) gets the benefit of some of the calls. I'm not saying this is every situation, but I can name quite a few where some of the boys got shorted by a ref missing a call, or making the wrong call.

A referee has to be totally un-biased during a match, NO MATTER WHAT; and I do not believe this is the case. No realy other way to describe why some of the calls go the way they do. It's one of the sports that I really belive that the REF has so much influence on the outcome, and it doesn't seem to be getting addressed enough. I would love to see referees brought in for the state tournaments from other states where they know nothing about the boys, and they do not even ask about the tournament seedings.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't FRA in Nashville and Red Bank one of the local teams from Chattanooga? How does your "local bias" conspiracy theory have any relevancy to the match that is the subject of this thread?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't FRA in Nashville and Red Bank one of the local teams from Chattanooga? How does your "local bias" conspiracy theory have any relevancy to the match that is the subject of this thread?

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

i was 10 feet away...the ref made a bad call that decieded a finals match...

i think the reason the ref did not toss him was because he knew he made a bad call...

i certainly understood the coach's emotions...i would only hope i could hold it together during a situation like that...

so let me get this straight 2 wrongs do make a right ? thanks for spell check

I agree, the call the ref made was for locking hands. But when questioned by the coached, he seemed to convienantly change the call to pulling the singlet.

Some very questionable calls all weekend.

You guys don't even know your official signals, the signal for grabbing the singlet or headgear is the same as locked hands

Also I have work with the official in question for many years and if he said the wrestler grabbed the singlet, THEN HE GRAB THE SINGLET, END OF STORY!