Round 3: Humboldt vs. UC

kylemeek11

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably harder to beat a team once after said team has beaten you twice... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The Mercy Rule is alright....The young players get jipped though....The Mercy Rule is/was put in for those coaches that were not satisfied with a 30 point lead heading into the 4th quarter and KEPT THEIR STARTERS IN for the rest of the game....Which is minority of coaches...

speller...It will always be my contention that if I'm a coach it is not MY responsibility for what happens to YOUR team...Practice harder and get better and you won't get blown off the court....I play my starters for two quarters and if I'm up by a huge margin I let my younger players play and if you can't stop them,I'm not going to keep them from scoring...But in the P.C. world we now live in where we have leagues of soccer,baseball and basketball teams that don't keep scores and nobody wins or loses and everybody gets a trophy so we can all feel good,well....It is what it is....That is my opinion and I will stick to it until someone can prove to me how an adult was destroyed or marked for life because he/she got beat in a basketball game by 40 points when they were youngsters....

I will continue to agree to disagree

Humboldt led the game at half 55-52 in what was one heckuva half of basketball....Cordero Wade had 17 in the half and MJ Brown had 16....Union City,at the four minute mark of the first quarter switched in a whole new set of five which was countered by Humboldt doing the same...It was something watching 10 kids go out and 10 new ones going back in...I believe the largest lead Humboldt had in the half was 8 points...Union City played their second five about 4-5 minutes longer there in the second quarter and cut the deficit down to 3....Humboldt seemed to tighten up about midway through the 3rd quarter and Union City went ahead and spread the margin...The lead grew to an eventual high of 15 at 81-66 but Humboldt responded by scoring 7 straight to cut it down to 81-73..From there the two teams scored 11 points apiece where UC won 92-84....MJ Brown ended up with 30 points and was high scorer of the game...I believe Wade ended up with 23......

I agree it was a great game..with more to come in the region.....the 1st quarter was almost unbelievable, Humboldt 35 - UC 32......the only thing wrong was the one REF and the fouls....14 total fouls in the 1st quarter and the one hot shot ref called 10 or 11 of them.....Talk about wanting to be the show....2 great teams...20 great athletes....let em play.....he does it everytime I see him do a game.

Humboldt led the game at half 55-52 in what was one heckuva half of basketball....Cordero Wade had 17 in the half and MJ Brown had 16....Union City,at the four minute mark of the first quarter switched in a whole new set of five which was countered by Humboldt doing the same...It was something watching 10 kids go out and 10 new ones going back in...I believe the largest lead Humboldt had in the half was 8 points...Union City played their second five about 4-5 minutes longer there in the second quarter and cut the deficit down to 3....Humboldt seemed to tighten up about midway through the 3rd quarter and Union City went ahead and spread the margin...The lead grew to an eventual high of 15 at 81-66 but Humboldt responded by scoring 7 straight to cut it down to 81-73..From there the two teams scored 11 points apiece where UC won 92-84....MJ Brown ended up with 30 points and was high scorer of the game...I believe Wade ended up with 23......

Hey P & G, what about post season and tournament awards?

Hey P & G, what about post season and tournament awards?

Lavan Mosely,Andre' Coby,Tony Wilkins and MJ Brown made All-something....And Shane Sisco was named Coach of the Year....

I say all-something because they only called out one team....There wasn't anyone from South Fulton or Gleason called out..

They didn't name a tournament MVP or a regular season MVP...All I can say is they called out MJ last....

I agree it was a great game..with more to come in the region.....the 1st quarter was almost unbelievable, Humboldt 35 - UC 32......the only thing wrong was the one REF and the fouls....14 total fouls in the 1st quarter and the one hot shot ref called 10 or 11 of them.....Talk about wanting to be the show....2 great teams...20 great athletes....let em play.....he does it everytime I see him do a game.

Some of the calls recently have been nit picky. Just wish the refs would let the boys play. At least whoever makes it will get the top pick of refs at state. They're about the only ones who can get a block/charge call right.

What a great game...one of the best first halves I've seen. We know what UC brings every time but Humboldt came to play last night. Unfortunately when Wade went out in the third with three fouls it seemed to change the dynamic of the game for Humboldt. Some people feel coach should have left him in. I think the difference in the game was free throws...UC hit theirs, Humboldt didn't. Humboldt lost by 8....they missed at least 14 free throws. But I think Humboldt feels pretty comfortable with where they sit in the region tournament.

My first impression of the first half last nite was this....Humboldt has probably played their best half of basketball and still only lead a Union City team by only three points that has been throttled to some extent by the fouls called on them...I didn't realize the extent until I saw the stats this afternoon....Union City was whistled for 17 fouls and Humboldt attempted 29 free throws IN THE FIRST HALF....Humboldt hit more free throws than Union City attempted on the night...Union City was charged with 29 fouls in the game compared to Humboldt's 18...Humboldt shot 22-of-37 on the night and Union City hit 12-of-16.....

I know it's not possible but when any of the big three play each other it sure would be nice to have some OVC officials do the game,at least in tournament action....These guys that did the game last nite were way over their head and two of them are veteran officials..Too slow to get in position to call the game and they anticipated way too much...When you have the caliber athletes these three teams put on the floor you need officials of the same caliber....It's sad when you have the two top teams in the state on the floor and you are noticing the refs more than the young men playing the game....

I agree with Big D 55 that Humboldt came to play..They did for a half anyway..Union City outscored the Vikings 40-29 in the second half and showed why they are 30-0 this year...The seniors took over the game and refused to lose....