Baylor and Ryan tie for 1st

wosbodog

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 99% positive that this is the first tie ever. From the outside looking in it looke like FR had a lot more missed opportunities than Baylor to pull this one out. It appeared that FRwas by far the tougher tournament team. On the other hand, with the way that things panned out for FR on the first day, you gotta commend them for being able to come back and tie it up on the last match of the evening. Very cool to see that this happened. Very sad because Im sure there are wrestlers on both sides wondering if they could have maybe found a way to get a major somehwere.

I am 99% positive that this is the first tie ever. From the outside looking in it looke like FR had a lot more missed opportunities than Baylor to pull this one out. It appeared that FRwas by far the tougher tournament team. On the other hand, with the way that things panned out for FR on the first day, you gotta commend them for being able to come back and tie it up on the last match of the evening. Very cool to see that this happened. Very sad because Im sure there are wrestlers on both sides wondering if they could have maybe found a way to get a major somehwere.

Wbar- Enjoy FR's 1 tie and 1 loss to Baylor while you can. I guess for ya'll a tie is a Victory. I'm sure ya'll will still be the 'tougher tournament team" next year, but my money is on Baylor. It's just the way I think things will pan out.

CC

According to this morning's Tennessean, this is the first time in the history of the TSSAA's state individual tournament that two teams have shared the title.

Confirmed by the Chattanooga Times and the Chattanoogan.com as well.

So, I guess we witnessed history last night----------split championship, both teams on the podium for picture and and both coaching staffs together for picture. Tie unsatisfying for a lot of folks, but this was kind of neat to see.

Does the TSSAA use the same scoring system that Brad (fiscon) uses for the tournaments he does?

I ask because I tabulated the brackets and came up with a different score.

First total was Baylor 271 and Father Ryan 281

I then deducted the 3 bonus point for Ryan at 112 due to injury default

Baylor 271 -- Ryan 278

TSSAA must use a different scoring system.

Brad can you or anyone please clairfy?

Brad Fiscus can probably respond and give you exactly how he scores tournaments-------he's the expert in this area at running tournaments----------but I think these are the basics of how you compute the team totals:

2 team advancement points are scored for each match won in the champoinship bracket, except for the final first-place match. If a wrestler receives a bye in the first round, he is awarded 2 advancement points for that round if he wins his next match.

1 team advancement point is scored for each match won in the consolation elimination, except for the final third and fifth place matches. A wrestler who has received a bye in the consolation round receives one advancement point, provided he wins his next round match.

2 additonal points for each match won by default, disqualification, fall, or forfeit.

1 1/2 points for each match won by technical fall.

1 additional point for each match won by major decision.

Placement points:

Tournament scoring 4 places: 14-10-7-4

Tournament scoring 6 places: 16-12-9-7-5-3

Tournament scoring 8 places: 16-12-9-7-5-3-2-1

Individual placement points are awarded as soon as earned. Placement points already earned are deducted in case of forfeit (other than injury) or disqualification from the tournament.

Barb:

I believe the TSSAA uses the same system as Brad does. You will note that under that system, the difference between 1st and 2nd is 4 points. Just prior to the 285 match, the score was announced as Baylor 271 and Ryan 271.

We were keeping score in our group using that system and came out the same as the TSSAA. The teams were tied going into the finals. After Baylor won four of their first 5 matches, we had Baylor with 22 additional points ( 4 wins, two majors, two pins). But after 160, Baylor was done and Ryan had 9 additional points ( two wins, one major by Wesley at 160). That meant that Ryan had to win at 189, 215 and 285 and one by major to tie. Mix got the major at 189. By our calculations Baylor then 22 additional points and and Ryan 14, so that wins by decision only at 215 and 285 would be a tie. I pretty sure the Ryan folks were using the same system. That's why the Ryan folks went crazy when it looked like Hermann might have a pin in the first period------that would have been six points and given Ryan the title outright.

It looks to me like somewhere before the finals, you must have scored something differently than the TSSAA and not had the teams tied going into the finals.

Wbar- Enjoy FR's 1 tie and 1 loss to Baylor while you can. I guess for ya'll a tie is a Victory. I'm sure ya'll will still be the 'tougher tournament team" next year, but my money is on Baylor. It's just the way I think things will pan out.

CC

Yall?????? Did I say anything about FR enjoying a tie? I dont think Baylor or FR are entirely happy with the tie. In fact, it would appear that Baylor should be happier with the tie than FR considering the way the teams lined up. Cupcake, please stop running your mouth there are too many important topics on this board for us to have to hear your crap.

Yall?????? Did I say anything about FR enjoying a tie? I dont think Baylor or FR are entirely happy with the tie. In fact, it would appear that Baylor should be happier with the tie than FR considering the way the teams lined up. Cupcake, please stop running your mouth there are too many important topics on this board for us to have to hear your crap.

I'm not folowing your logic. Based on the dual result, which indicates something about "the way the teams line up", why would Baylor be happier with a tie than Ryan?

Regarding important topics on this board, please name one.

I'm not folowing your logic. Based on the dual results, which indicates something about "the way the teams line up", why would Baylor be happier with a tie than Ryan?

Mtnrasslin, he must be thinking about the other common tournament the two teams had this season, at Collins Hill. You know, when Baylor finished second and Father Ryan finished fifth.

Wait...

Never mind.