Cleveland Coach

vol4life

Great tournament everyone!

Could not wish for better wrestling and a well run tournament.

But there is one thing that still shocks me everytime I think about it. During a consolation quarterfinal match at 125 between Ravenwood and Cleveland, there were some questionable calls. Toward the end of the 2nd period Ravenwood clearly had a takedown that was not given to him by the referee. The Ravenwood coach brought out a book showing that he had a takedown, on e of the referees did not see him standing there so the Ravenwood wrestler circled his fingers around to let the ref know that his coach need to speak.

Cleveland coach flips out saying that hes calling his second blood time. RAV wrestler gets up to let the coach and the ref know what was going on and the CLE coach starts talking and arguing with the Rav wrestler. During the 3rd period RAV takes down CLE 4 times and lets him up 3 times, and with 11 sec left CLE gets a reversal and puts RAV on his back but does not get the pin. Match ends 9-8 RAV. CLE coach freaks out agian goes the scorers table and wants to look over everyhitng with the RAV coach. Doesnt get anything changed, Match over.

The two wrestlers even know whats going to happen so they shake hands before they even make a decision. Ref comes back to say that RAV won.

The RAV wrestler walks over to the CLE coach and sticks out his hand and the CLE coach shakes his head and says, "Im not shaking your hand." And then walks away talking under his breath.

WOW!! Its one thing not to look at a wrestler that just beat your wrestler and congradulate him whille looking away, but to just sit there and be completly childish and just say im not shaking your hand is uncalled for and unprofessional. WE do not need that in high school sports. These are young adults who are representing their school better than the coachs can. There is something wrong with that picture.

If anyone saw differently then let us know. This is what I saw and heard. Let me know what you think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RAV wrestler walks over to the CLE coach and sticks out his hand and the CLE coach shakes his head and says, "Im not shaking your hand." And then walks away talking under his breath.

That does not sound at all like Cleveland's coach. I vaguely remember the match, but i was more focused on the DII mats.

This is Coach Eslinger. I said nothing to the kid, however I did say several things to the coach and to the official. I was going to bat for my kid. Had I not watched the Ravenwood kid take injury timeout in his previous match with Clarksville I wouldn't have been as upset. I do not allow my athletes to take injury time and when it dictates a match it's unfortunate, maybe why people don't watch the sport. On the video he signals for a 2nd injury time, the ref signals it and punches his watch. A call was argued at the table and the injury time was taken away. It definitely would have been of benefit for my wrestler to get his choice. The rule book says 2nd inury time gives the other wrestler his choice. My kid was not as talented but in shape and ready to go the distance. I am going to go to bat for him especially when it's a do or die situation. Any questions, feel free to contact me. I have never said anything to a kid and will not do so in the future. If I walked away from the kid it wasn't intentional but it was to argue the call. I apologize to the kid if that was the case. Tough wrestler, but wanted my kid to get the opportunity the rules say he earned.

Coach Eslinger

Head Coach

Cleveland High

This is Coach Eslinger. I said nothing to the kid, however I did say several things to the coach and to the official. I was going to bat for my kid. Had I not watched the Ravenwood kid take injury timeout in his previous match with Clarksville I wouldn't have been as upset. I do not allow my athletes to take injury time and when it dictates a match it's unfortunate, maybe why people don't watch the sport. On the video he signals for a 2nd injury time, the ref signals it and punches his watch. A call was argued at the table and the injury time was taken away. It definitely would have been of benefit for my wrestler to get his choice. The rule book says 2nd inury time gives the other wrestler his choice. My kid was not as talented but in shape and ready to go the distance. I am going to go to bat for him especially when it's a do or die situation. Any questions, feel free to contact me. I have never said anything to a kid and will not do so in the future. If I walked away from the kid it wasn't intentional but it was to argue the call. I apologize to the kid if that was the case. Tough wrestler, but wanted my kid to get the opportunity the rules say he earned.

Coach Eslinger

Head Coach

Cleveland High

You know, everyone gets caught up in the heat of the moment, especially in wrestling, and especially with controversial calls. But please clarify a few points. You either shook his hand when offered, or you did not. You either avoided him or you did not. You were obviously mad. Answer the question directly first, then offer an apology, not if I did...uh..the kid...uh... COME ON!

Second point.... if you had been on the OTHER side of the argument, I suppose you would have straightened out the refs who are calling the match and given the other guy an advantage? You decided your wrestler had an advantage because he was in better shape, and you don't allow your wrestlers to take injury time? Are you from France???? Tell it like it is, you should have manned up, shaken the winning wrestler's hand (not THE KID), accept the fact that your wrestler did a great job but did not win...everyone sees things subjectively, admit it, apologize and move the heck on..

You know, everyone gets caught up in the heat of the moment, especially in wrestling, and especially with controversial calls. But please clarify a few points. You either shook his hand when offered, or you did not. You either avoided him or you did not. You were obviously mad. Answer the question directly first, then offer an apology, not if I did...uh..the kid...uh... COME ON!

Second point.... if you had been on the OTHER side of the argument, I suppose you would have straightened out the refs who are calling the match and given the other guy an advantage? You decided your wrestler had an advantage because he was in better shape, and you don't allow your wrestlers to take injury time? Are you from France???? Tell it like it is, you should have manned up, shaken the winning wrestler's hand (not THE KID), accept the fact that your wrestler did a great job but did not win...everyone sees things subjectively, admit it, apologize and move the heck on..

you must not know Heath. If you did you would know he is being sincere in his post. You should hold you "man up" comments. That is no way to get a reasonable answer.

go navy 2, ask any of my wrestlers and they will tell you I will never allow them to take an inury timeout for their lungs. If they do, I will go to bat for the other wrestler. However, when they know this they don't take it. As for the whole "man up" statement; "What is your name?". I am pretty certain I have the entire match on video if you would like to sit down and watch it.

Great tournament everyone!

Could not wish for better wrestling and a well run tournament.

But there is one thing that still shocks me everytime I think about it. During a consolation quarterfinal match at 125 between Ravenwood and Cleveland, there were some questionable calls. Toward the end of the 2nd period Ravenwood clearly had a takedown that was not given to him by the referee. The Ravenwood coach brought out a book showing that he had a takedown, on e of the referees did not see him standing there so the Ravenwood wrestler circled his fingers around to let the ref know that his coach need to speak.

Cleveland coach flips out saying that hes calling his second blood time. RAV wrestler gets up to let the coach and the ref know what was going on and the CLE coach starts talking and arguing with the Rav wrestler. During the 3rd period RAV takes down CLE 4 times and lets him up 3 times, and with 11 sec left CLE gets a reversal and puts RAV on his back but does not get the pin. Match ends 9-8 RAV. CLE coach freaks out agian goes the scorers table and wants to look over everyhitng with the RAV coach. Doesnt get anything changed, Match over.

The two wrestlers even know whats going to happen so they shake hands before they even make a decision. Ref comes back to say that RAV won.

WOW!! Its one thing not to look at a wrestler that just beat your wrestler and congradulate him whille looking away, but to just sit there and be completly childish and just say im not shaking your hand is uncalled for and unprofessional. WE do not need that in high school sports. These are young adults who are representing their school better than the coachs can. There is something wrong with that picture.

If anyone saw differently then let us know. This is what I saw and heard. Let me know what you think.

vol4life, I was sitting right in front of mat 3 during the match you brought up in your post. The first thing I want to address is that when wrestling stopped the RAV wrestler had called for an injury timeout (his second of the match) and the offical even gave the signal for an injury timeout. I agree that during this same time the RAV coach did approach the table with a rule book in hand to argue the no takedown call. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the coach for RAV been called for unsportsmanlike for taking his rule book to the table and questioning the no takedown call?). After a lengthy discussion at the table the offical didn't remember calling for the injury timeout which is what appreared to me the reason Coach Eslinger got so upset. Also, I saw Coach Eslinger shake the RAV wrestlers hand after the match. I have known Coach Eslinger since he was in grade school and know the things you say about him are not only out of character for him but they are completely false.

you must not know Heath. If you did you would know he is being sincere in his post. You should hold you "man up" comments. That is no way to get a reasonable answer.

Did you or did you not shake the winning wrestler's hand after the match? After all, you have the video. Remember, you are representing your school and your team. As a coach, in any sport, you have to be perfect, and if not, try to be perfect, and if all else fails, admit a mistake, apologize and move on. If through actions in the heat of the moment a coach has a negative impact on an athlete, that is not what anyone wants, and that needs resolution. Remember, these are blogs, take what you will from them, if it helps you, great, I do not know any of you, so almost by definition it cannot be personal and of course is not intended to be...

[quote name='sly' date='Feb 18 2008 - 07:43 PM' post='826723346' Also, I saw Coach Eslinger shake the RAV wrestlers hand after the match. I have known Coach Eslinger since he was in grade school and know the things you say about him are not only out of character for him but they are completely false.

gonavy .... Did you not read this post. The tape reveald that the Coach shook the young mans hand. Can't you let this issue go? Or do you have an axe to grind?