Hickman Co. 49, Giles Co. 47 - Lady Bulldogs Advance to Finals

PageMan

Hickman Co. advanced to the Region 5-AA Finals as they defeated Giles Co., 49-47, in a close game where Hickman Co's Jaclyn Wise led all scorers with 19 pts (5 threes, 2 of 4 FT's), 8 rebs, and 2 assists. Brittany Powers added 10 pts with 9 rebs, 1 asst, and 3 blks. Giles Co. was led by Vee Young who had 16 pts (4 of 8 FT's), 19 rebs, 7 blks, and 2 assts followed by Hope Garrett with 11 pts (1 three, 4 of 4 FT's), 1 reb, 2 assts. Hickman Co. had a total of 7 threes as Jana Gilbert added 2 while Giles had only 1 addtional three by Keosha Wisener. This was probably the key to Hickman's win.

Hickman Co......10..13....10..16.....49

Giles Co............9...11....13..14.....47

Hickman Co. Player Stats:

Jaclyn Wise - 19 pts (5 threes, 2 of 4 FT's), 8 rebs, 2 assts

Brittany Powers - 10 pts (0 of 2 FT's), 9 rebs, 1 asst, 3 blks

Kelsey Wright - 8 pts (4 of 7 FT's), 6 rebs

Jana Gilbert - 6 pts (2 threes), 1 reb, 6 assts

L. A. Phillips - 6 pts, 5 rebs, 1 asst

Kayla Hutcherson - 0 of 1 FT's, 3 rebs, 1 asst

Brianna Dunn - 2 rebs, 1 asst

Giles Co. Player Stats:

Vee Young - 16 pts (4 of 8 FT's), 19 rebs, 2 assts, 7 blks

Hope Garrett - 11 pts (1 three, 4 of 4 FT's), 1 reb, 2 assts

Marqueissa Davidson - 9 pts (3 of 6 FT's), 6 rebs, 1 asst

Keosha Wisener - 7 pts (1 three), 2 rebs

Tiffany Wall - 4 pts, 3 rebs, 1 asst

Team Stats:

Three Point Goals: HC 7, GC 2

Free Throws: HC 6 of 14 (42.9%), GC 11 of 18 (61.1%)

Rebounds: HC 34, GC 31

Assists: HC 12, GC 6

Blocks: HC 3, GC 7

Fouls: HC 15, GC 14

Turnovers: HC 9, GC 7

Hickman Co. led at the end of the 1st qtr, 10-9, as Wise had 2 threes and both Powers and Phillps each had 2 while Giles Co.'s Davidson had 4 (2 of 2 FT's), Young had 3 (1 of 2 FT's), and Wall had 2.

In the 2nd qtr, HC out scored GC, 13-11, as Wise had 5 with a three, Powers had 4, Gilbert hit a three, and Wright hit 1 of 2 FT's while GC's Young had 4 (0 of 2 FT's), Garrett hit a three, Wisener had 2 and Davidson had 2 (0 of 1 FT's) as HC led at the half, 23-20.

In the 3rd qtr, GC outscored HC, 13-10, as Young had 7 (3 of 4 FT's), Garrett had 4 (2 of 2 FT's), and Wall had 2 while HC's Wise and Gilbert each hit a three and both Phillips and Wright each had 2 as the teams were tied at 33-33 after 3 qtrs of play.

It all boiled out to the 4th qtr to decide the game as HC outscored GC, 16-14, as Wise had 5 (1 three, 2 of 4 FT's), Wright had 5 (3 of 5 FT's), Powers had 4 (0 of 2 FT's), and Phillips had 2 while GC's Wisener had 5 with a three, Garrett had 4 (2 of 2 FT's), Davidson had 3 (1 of 3 FT's), and Young had 2 as Hickman Co. won, 49-47, and advanced to the Championship game at 6 PM on Wed. against Marshall Co. won later later over East Literature, 58-30.

This was the final game for the Giles Co. Seniors - Vee Young, Hope Garrett, Marqueissa Davidson, Tiffany Wall, and Gabby Garner. I have enjoyed watching all of you play over the years and wish you much success in your life after high school. Vee Young scored over 1000 pts in her career and gave it her all tonight as did the others.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How tall is Vee Young? 19 rebounds and 7 blocks? Almost a triple-double.

Sequatchie Co.'s Rachel Lockhart had a triple double with blocks this season, 10 points, 13 rebounds, and 11 blocks. Impressive and very uncommon.

Impressive stats by Young.

She has about an inch on Lauren March. But for some reason she doesn't match up well with March.

It looks like the move down in classification really paid off for Hickman County.

I don't really think that the move down in classification has anything to do with Hickman's success. Hickman has played a very tough schedule this year, much tougher than they did in AAA. They are playing teams that have been sucessful for years with lots of tradition, unlike they did in AAA. If I am not mistaken, early in the season it was reported that Hickman had either the fourth or fifth toughest schedule in the state this year. Hickman started out 0-9 for crying out loud. You can look at their record and tell that their schedule has not been easy, they have just really come on late in the season. They are a completely different team than they were last year, playing incredible defense and very well conditioned. The offense has really opened up and everyone is involved. Also, only one or two non-district teams that they have played this year has ended up with less than 19 or 20 wins. Even though they have been in AAA, they never got to play the teams like Riverdale, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, etc. The girls have worked so hard and bought in to the new coach's system, and they have not been given anything, they have earned where they are at. So instead of blaming it on the move down in classification, lets just give credit to the hard work of these girls and look at the difference in their team instead of the difference in the teams they are playing.

I don't know if the move down in classification has helped Hickman or not. I know that I have watched this team all season, and they have had the ability to win every game that they have played. They just now decided to show everyone else. The starters have tons of talent, and the bench is deep. I believe they can go as far as they want to. They should be a force for several years.

Hickman County does have a very young and pretty talented team, especially at the guard positions. However, they did benefit from the drop in classification, because they fell into District 10AA, who really only had two good teams this year in Marshall County and Lewis County. Everyone else, excluding Giles County who was right at .500, was a below .500 team (three were WAY below) heading into tournament play. All of Hickman County's wins this year came against District 10AA opponents. They were not able to beat even one non-district team on their schedule, including teams such as Waverly Central and Montgomery Central, both of which whom also finished just under .500. Hickman County's win over Lewis County in the District 10AA Semi-Finals is the biggest reason they are going to be playing in a Sub-State game. The coach at Hickman County merely outcoached Helton at Lewis County in that game, and coincidently, it was the biggest win of the year for the Lady Bulldogs.

So, it was a combination of a few things that have led Hickman County to where they are now. The drop in classification, the strength of their non-district schedule which despite all the losses did help prepare them for post-season play, the solid play of Wise (who is a very talented player), a hard-nosed but somewhat effective coaching style, and a little bit of luck. Good luck to Hickman County the rest of the way.

There are good points being brought up but the bottom line about my previous statement regarding Hickman County dropping a classification and benefiting from it is entirely accurate. Hickman County would have finished 6th had they stayed in 11-AAA behind the likes of (in order) Hillsboro, Brentwood, Independence, Ravenwood, and Franklin. At best they would have split with Franklin thus possibly coming in 5th. Either way they do NOT make the post season, much less sub-state. I understand the supportment for them but please be realistic for 2 seconds!

I don't really think that the move down in classification has anything to do with Hickman's success. Hickman has played a very tough schedule this year, much tougher than they did in AAA. They are playing teams that have been sucessful for years with lots of tradition, unlike they did in AAA. If I am not mistaken, early in the season it was reported that Hickman had either the fourth or fifth toughest schedule in the state this year. Hickman started out 0-9 for crying out loud. You can look at their record and tell that their schedule has not been easy, they have just really come on late in the season. They are a completely different team than they were last year, playing incredible defense and very well conditioned. The offense has really opened up and everyone is involved. Also, only one or two non-district teams that they have played this year has ended up with less than 19 or 20 wins. Even though they have been in AAA, they never got to play the teams like Riverdale, Shelbyville, Wilson Central, etc. The girls have worked so hard and bought in to the new coach's system, and they have not been given anything, they have earned where they are at. So instead of blaming it on the move down in classification, lets just give credit to the hard work of these girls and look at the difference in their team instead of the difference in the teams they are playing.

AMEN......

There are good points being brought up but the bottom line about my previous statement regarding Hickman County dropping a classification and benefiting from it is entirely accurate. Hickman County would have finished 6th had they stayed in 11-AAA behind the likes of (in order) Hillsboro, Brentwood, Independence, Ravenwood, and Franklin. At best they would have split with Franklin thus possibly coming in 5th. Either way they do NOT make the post season, much less sub-state. I understand the supportment for them but please be realistic for 2 seconds!