Hickman Co. 49, Giles Co. 47 - Lady Bulldogs Advance to Finals

PageMan

There are good points being brought up but the bottom line about my previous statement regarding Hickman County dropping a classification and benefiting from it is entirely accurate. Hickman County would have finished 6th had they stayed in 11-AAA behind the likes of (in order) Hillsboro, Brentwood, Independence, Ravenwood, and Franklin. At best they would have split with Franklin thus possibly coming in 5th. Either way they do NOT make the post season, much less sub-state. I understand the supportment for them but please be realistic for 2 seconds!

do i sense some hatin' going on? i think you are just a little sorry we got to Coach Barrett before someone else did.........by the way, he deserved Coach of the Year in the district .....anyone can coach a team loaded with talent like Marshall County.....just roll a ball out there....Coach Barrett is getting every ounce of ability out of each girl on a probably otherwise average team....if getting the Lady Dawgs to the Sub-State is not Coach of the Year material, I dont know what is

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do i sense some hatin' going on? i think you are just a little sorry we got to Coach Barrett before someone else did.........by the way, he deserved Coach of the Year in the district .....anyone can coach a team loaded with talent like Marshall County.....just roll a ball out there....Coach Barrett is getting every ounce of ability out of each girl on a probably otherwise average team....if getting the Lady Dawgs to the Sub-State is not Coach of the Year material, I dont know what is

Fine young coach.

Hickman County does have a very young and pretty talented team, especially at the guard positions. However, they did benefit from the drop in classification, because they fell into District 10AA, who really only had two good teams this year in Marshall County and Lewis County. Everyone else, excluding Giles County who was right at .500, was a below .500 team (three were WAY below) heading into tournament play. All of Hickman County's wins this year came against District 10AA opponents. They were not able to beat even one non-district team on their schedule, including teams such as Waverly Central and Montgomery Central, both of which whom also finished just under .500. Hickman County's win over Lewis County in the District 10AA Semi-Finals is the biggest reason they are going to be playing in a Sub-State game. The coach at Hickman County merely outcoached Helton at Lewis County in that game, and coincidently, it was the biggest win of the year for the Lady Bulldogs.

So, it was a combination of a few things that have led Hickman County to where they are now. The drop in classification, the strength of their non-district schedule which despite all the losses did help prepare them for post-season play, the solid play of Wise (who is a very talented player), a hard-nosed but somewhat effective coaching style, and a little bit of luck. Good luck to Hickman County the rest of the way.

In all fairness, Waverly and Montgomery Central were the first two games of the season, the Hall of Fame games, and Hickman has much improved since then. Also, Bolivar only beat Waverly by 9 points in the region tournament at Bolivar, who is playing in the Region Championship tonight against Creekwood (who Hickman also played twice during the regular season), and Hickman will face one of the these two teams in the sub-state. I just wanted to make the point that even though Hickman has dropped in classification, their schedule has still been extremely tough, especially their non-district schedule.

In all fairness, Waverly and Montgomery Central were the first two games of the season, the Hall of Fame games, and Hickman has much improved since then. Also, Bolivar only beat Waverly by 9 points in the region tournament at Bolivar, who is playing in the Region Championship tonight against Creekwood (who Hickman also played twice during the regular season), and Hickman will face one of the these two teams in the sub-state. I just wanted to make the point that even though Hickman has dropped in classification, their schedule has still been extremely tough, especially their non-district schedule.

No dog in the race, but Hickman is not gettin any love.

Waverly Central was a strong team this year. Their schedule was also very tough and the main reason they finished at .500. Bolivar beat them by 9 in the region, but Waverly had the game won with 1:30 left to go. That score doesn't reflect the closeness of the game.

I am aware of how good Waverly was this year as I had a chance to see them play. However, they should have been a much better team considering they returned just about everyone from last year, including seven seniors, and brought up a talented Freshman point guard from the JV. Based on the talent they had, they should not have lost as many games as they did and ended up with a losing record. From the game that I watched, coaching was their downfall in that game, so I can only assume that maybe coaching played a factor in those other games as well.

In my earlier post, I said Hickman County's non-district schedule was tough, but you would think that a Sub-State caliber team would have been able to win at least one non-district game. A good team would have found a way to win some of those games. Therefore, since all of their wins came against teams in their district, one can only state that their dropping down to 10AA is a significant factor as to why they are where they are. I am glad they are in AA, because they just were not able to compete night in and night out in AAA, and it has helped to renew some old rivalries from when they were a AA school back in the 90s.

There are good points being brought up but the bottom line about my previous statement regarding Hickman County dropping a classification and benefiting from it is entirely accurate. Hickman County would have finished 6th had they stayed in 11-AAA behind the likes of (in order) Hillsboro, Brentwood, Independence, Ravenwood, and Franklin. At best they would have split with Franklin thus possibly coming in 5th. Either way they do NOT make the post season, much less sub-state. I understand the supportment for them but please be realistic for 2 seconds!

I have seen Ravenwood play, and would be very confident in saying they would not finish top 4 in District 11aa. Would Hickman County really finish that low in 11-AAA??? If so then there season is about to end. But I dont believe they are or they would not be were they are right now. I would give Hickman County the benefit of the doubt and say they would get top 4 in 11-AAA, but I havent seen INdependence and Hillsboro. I have see Franklin and they are not that good as well.

I have seen Ravenwood play, and would be very confident in saying they would not finish top 4 in District 11aa. Would Hickman County really finish that low in 11-AAA??? If so then there season is about to end. But I dont believe they are or they would not be were they are right now. I would give Hickman County the benefit of the doubt and say they would get top 4 in 11-AAA, but I havent seen INdependence and Hillsboro. I have see Franklin and they are not that good as well.

Yes, Waverly should have done better this year. And yes, coaching is always! a factor with Waverly.