Is this a violation of some sort?

RUBlind!!!

No. We just don't include everybody with a winning record in the playoffs OR start the season a week or two earlier. If the football coach gets them exclusively the last 2 weeks of July, they don't need 5-6 weeks of conditioning to play. I'd rather see the top 2 or 3 teams from a district go than the top 4. 4 seeds don't win championships. They're just gate money.

We are already starting basketball games during the football playoffs. The football kids that go deep into the playoffs are going straight to basketball as it is. Same for baseball guys that play basketball. Baseball games start next week on March 10th. There will be guys still playing basketball or right out of basketball when their baseball teams start games.

Just give the in season teams the priority and schedule non district games at the beginning of basketball and baseball season so that it doesn't hurt your post season chances. Most teams are already doing that I think.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. We just don't include everybody with a winning record in the playoffs OR start the season a week or two earlier. If the football coach gets them exclusively the last 2 weeks of July, they don't need 5-6 weeks of conditioning to play. I'd rather see the top 2 or 3 teams from a district go than the top 4. 4 seeds don't win championships. They're just gate money.

We are already starting basketball games during the football playoffs. The football kids that go deep into the playoffs are going straight to basketball as it is. Same for baseball guys that play basketball. Baseball games start next week on March 10th. There will be guys still playing basketball or right out of basketball when their baseball teams start games.

Just give the in season teams the priority and schedule non district games at the beginning of basketball and baseball season so that it doesn't hurt your post season chances. Most teams are already doing that I think.

First I do agree with you about having defined seasons.

But to start football 1-2 weeks earlier? That would mean some would start their season before school even starts.

There is already alot of concern out there about heat as well.

So in this scenario, football would need to schedule their Region games early?

I do agree too many teams in playoffs. I'll date myself, but in my day you had to win your district to go to playoffs. My senior year we went 8-2; no playoffs, but did go to a bowl game. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

coaches don't understand that a lot of kids play more than one sport . they expect their kids to be devoted to thier sport and no other . its not right for a coach to come down on a kid for playing another sport thats why we have different seasons for them . coaches need to learn that when its thier season its thier time and when its not its not

First I do agree with you about having defined seasons.

But to start football 1-2 weeks earlier? That would mean some would start their season before school even starts.

There is already alot of concern out there about heat as well.

So in this scenario, football would need to schedule their Region games early?

I do agree too many teams in playoffs. I'll date myself, but in my day you had to win your district to go to playoffs. My senior year we went 8-2; no playoffs, but did go to a bowl game. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Football can schedule their region games whenever they want to. They don't have a sport wrapping up a season when their's is starting. The basketball teams have football playoffs to contend with as do the baseball teams with basketball.

The dates are flexible to a degree. The in season sports take priority over everything else. Those that don't play the in season sport can have open facilities or play with AAU teams. It just shouldn't be made mandatory by the high school coach. We don't want to punish those individuals that are willing to outwork someone, nor do we want to punish the multiple sport athletes. It's not the high school coaches job to get our kids college scholarships and less than 10% are getting them anyway.

The other part of this summer thing is dollar related. Some of these colleges are funding parts of their programs through summer camps. My idea would restrict the team camps to those 2 weeks in June for basketball and 2 weeks in July for football. Individual camps could be any time. My guess is the colleges that hold camps will adjust their schedule to fit the needs of the potential clientele.

I'm from the old school too. My high school baseball team finished 2nd in the district tournament and went home. Lost by one in extra innings too. The district champions played a region championship and the winner went to state. The upside to that is an extended regular season so that ALL the kids get to play baseball well into May. Finish up district games on Friday night, play the region on Tuesday and start state that weekend. It takes 2 weeks max. Extended post season is TSSAA dollars though. They aren't going to mess with those too much.