BIG NINE BANQUET

Stokomo

I can solve this. When DB gets back from the State Tournment lets have a 1-on-1 with Jamel Williams against anyone named 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams and see who wins. Take your pick. My money is on Williams. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> This whole deal is one of those feel good moments. You know spread the love to the needy. Upward Big 9 Basketball. And then you give coach of the year to a guy that finished third in the conference as opposed to a guy that wins the conference and goes undefeated. What a joke! Are you sure the Kingsport Times News didn't do the voting?

Brilliant WaCo, just brilliant. I don't think you'd get takers against #32 Williams.

I think being one of this teams leaders on the court is more than enough for Jamel. He plays with emotion, shows emotion. I love it. You can always be sure that when you see that emotion come out, #32 is giving his all for the Tribe.

All the players listed are good players. Boone's Moncier (sp?) gave DB fits, I'd say more than any other player in the Conference. They couldn't stop him from scoring.

Roll Tribe Roll

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so you're saying the other coaches and/or whoever votes on the coaches and players HATED DB and chose to use there vote as a way to get back at them for...dare I say it...winning! Please, if that is so then that is an even bigger travesty than Morgan/Williams getting shafted and those coaches should have there votes taken away. Do you think for one second that Charlie Morgan would not vote for who he thought best just because he didn't care for them? no way. But hey you just keep on hating and think it's ok to not reward the best.

And give me a break about East being small and not having athletic ability of the "good teams". They had Snapp, the big kid inside, and the freshman of the year. That is more than many teams had.

I didn't say say that I think Coach Dyer should have got the award. If I would have had a vote, I would have chosen Coach Morgan. And as for me saying that everyone hated DB, I was talking about the players and media. I didn't know the coaches voted for the awards, I thought the media dealt with that, so I'm sorry about that. I know many reporters and other media that really do hate DB so that's where that was coming from. The coaches don't hate them, they may be jealous of everything they have and their success, but they do respect them, not hate them. I'm a county school guy that just likes to see the little guys get recognized, that's all. I personally know Coach Dyer and have spoken with him about all the struggles that he has went through during his long coaching career and I was just sticking up for him. I'm happy for him whether he deserved it or not. Don't accuse me of "hating" because I respect DB as much as anyone. They were the only team, along with SH, that I was never able to beat in my 4 year career. Sure, I didn't like them due to the fact that I couldn't beat them during my playing days but that was a long time ago. I have met many DB players and coaches over the years, including Coach Morgan, and I have the upmost respect for how they play on the court and how they act off the court. Also, the "good teams" I was referring to were DB and SH. Now you can't sit here and say that East had as much athletic ability and size as DB and SH. Yea sure they had 3 great shooters and athletic ability has nothing to do with shooting, they worked hard to be able to shoot like that, it didn't come naturally to them like athletic ability does. The big kid you referred to, Kyle Barnes, was only 6-4 and he was the tallest guy on the team. Every team in the conference other than Crockett had 2 to 4 guys at least 6-5 or more and East's other players barely even reach the 6 foot mark. Not to mention they looked like a bunch of toothpicks running around out there, except for Barnes who is a big hefty guy. Now you can disagree with me all you want and argue with me about my opinion because that's the whole reason these boards were created, so thay we can express our opinions. But NEVER call me a "hater" because that's just flat out wrong and you have no room whatsoever to question whether I'm a hater or not because you don't know me.

I can solve this. When DB gets back from the State Tournment lets have a 1-on-1 with Jamel Williams against anyone named 1st, 2nd, or 3rd teams and see who wins. Take your pick. My money is on Williams. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> This whole deal is one of those feel good moments. You know spread the love to the needy. Upward Big 9 Basketball. And then you give coach of the year to a guy that finished third in the conference as opposed to a guy that wins the conference and goes undefeated. What a joke! Are you sure the Kingsport Times News didn't do the voting?

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

yeah I hear they are going to stop keeping score and just rotate the conference champion around the league because only the "good teams" are winning it year-in and year-out and that is just not fair. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I didn't say say that I think Coach Dyer should have got the award. If I would have had a vote, I would have chosen Coach Morgan. And as for me saying that everyone hated DB, I was talking about the players and media. I didn't know the coaches voted for the awards, I thought the media dealt with that, so I'm sorry about that. I know many reporters and other media that really do hate DB so that's where that was coming from. The coaches don't hate them, they may be jealous of everything they have and their success, but they do respect them, not hate them. I'm a county school guy that just likes to see the little guys get recognized, that's all. I personally know Coach Dyer and have spoken with him about all the struggles that he has went through during his long coaching career and I was just sticking up for him. I'm happy for him whether he deserved it or not. Don't accuse me of "hating" because I respect DB as much as anyone. They were the only team, along with SH, that I was never able to beat in my 4 year career. Sure, I didn't like them due to the fact that I couldn't beat them during my playing days but that was a long time ago. I have met many DB players and coaches over the years, including Coach Morgan, and I have the upmost respect for how they play on the court and how they act off the court. Also, the "good teams" I was referring to were DB and SH. Now you can't sit here and say that East had as much athletic ability and size as DB and SH. Yea sure they had 3 great shooters and athletic ability has nothing to do with shooting, they worked hard to be able to shoot like that, it didn't come naturally to them like athletic ability does. The big kid you referred to, Kyle Barnes, was only 6-4 and he was the tallest guy on the team. Every team in the conference other than Crockett had 2 to 4 guys at least 6-5 or more and East's other players barely even reach the 6 foot mark. Not to mention they looked like a bunch of toothpicks running around out there, except for Barnes who is a big hefty guy. Now you can disagree with me all you want and argue with me about my opinion because that's the whole reason these boards were created, so thay we can express our opinions. But NEVER call me a "hater" because that's just flat out wrong and you have no room whatsoever to question whether I'm a hater or not because you don't know me.

I don't have to know you because you made the statement right there in your previous post. I didn't call you a hater...you called you a hater. You said quote" everyone hated DB". If everyone hated DB and you are a someone then you would fall into the everyone as well. I just merely restated what you had written. I understand your point but I think hate is a VERY strong word for 15-17 year old kids playing a game. And as far as the other players hating DB, that is bogus. I was at several DB games where Science Hill players came and watched and sat on the DB side. And even saw Dionte Gray talking with Sylvester and gave his mom a hug. Really what the issue is "county/city" and it always will be. Well DB/Science Hill/THS should win because the schools are bigger, richer, etc. That is always the arguement and until the schools get out of that mind set this conference will always be top heavy. Dickie Warren and Bobby Snyder didn't let that prevent them from winning a ton of games in this conference as well as state tourney appearances.

I can't say that Dyer/Vaughn shouldn't have won because I respect them as men but sometimes you just gotta give it to who was the best for 19 games against this conference. If DB had lost a game or two then I would have no issues because I don't "hate" any of the other coaches. And yes you are correct that Charlie would much rather have a state title than a Big9 COY award...but why couldn't he get both? Why say "well his team got to go to Murfreesboro so everyone is happy"? Why not just give the man his due. Like I said, there is NO DOUBT that if Pitts had the same resume this season he would have won hands down. Why would the media hate Morgan? The man has never said/done anything to merit any negativity toward him or the program. Sad..actually pathetic.

The media had nothing to do with the All-Conference team as presented at the Big 9 Banquet...the Johnson City Press has come out with it's All-NET team, the Times-News will have one (probably), as will the Herald Courier, and TriCitiesSports.com - those are and/or will be picked by the media outlet reporting it...

these post season accolades will never satisfy everyone and should be looked upon as another topic of conversation...hey, we can't even get the TV stations to accurately report on the outcome of games, why would we trust the "media" to pick an all-star team?...(WCYB reported that Science Hill beat D-B in the District championship, 50-47, "ending D-B's dominance of the Big 9 conference" - that was actually the score of the girl's game from the night before..and for those who don't know, the D-B boys won the district championship...WJHL reported that D-B beat Bearden 61-54, when the final was actually 70-65)...and the coaches want to try to make sure each school is somehow represented...we all make mistakes, oversights, underestimations, and omissions...and we go on...I mean, hey, Candace Parker didn't get SEC Player oif the Year...???...

congratulations to everyone who played high school basketball this season in the Big 9, boys and girls, I truly hope it was an experience that will provide lifelong memories and life lessons...

Roll Tribe Roll

The media had nothing to do with the All-Conference team as presented at the Big 9 Banquet...the Johnson City Press has come out with it's All-NET team, the Times-News will have one (probably), as will the Herald Courier, and TriCitiesSports.com - those are and/or will be picked by the media outlet reporting it...

these post season accolades will never satisfy everyone and should be looked upon as another topic of conversation...hey, we can't even get the TV stations to accurately report on the outcome of games, why would we trust the "media" to pick an all-star team?...(WCYB reported that Science Hill beat D-B in the District championship, 50-47, "ending D-B's dominance of the Big 9 conference" - that was actually the score of the girl's game from the night before..and for those who don't know, the D-B boys won the district championship...WJHL reported that D-B beat Bearden 61-54, when the final was actually 70-65)...and the coaches want to try to make sure each school is somehow represented...we all make mistakes, oversights, underestimations, and omissions...and we go on...I mean, hey, Candace Parker didn't get SEC Player oif the Year...???...

congratulations to everyone who played high school basketball this season in the Big 9, boys and girls, I truly hope it was an experience that will provide lifelong memories and life lessons...

Roll Tribe Roll

Skunk

Always there to humble me and put things in the proper perspective on the whole picture. Sometimes we (I) can only see the small picutre. You are the master.

While I do agree that everyone will not always be satisfied, one has to speak up when there are some glaring issues. In a year when everyone claims this conference is as deep/competitive as ever and has many great players...for a coach to guide his team through that unscathed and not be recognized for it is more than an oversight. And that is in no way taking from the accomplishements of any coach or player bewcause I believe this conference is blessed with both. And then some use the word "hate" in regard to man that doesn't do/say anything to cause anyone to hate him...it's not Bill Belicheck here. I stand by my statement...if you change the name from Morgan to Pitts (or even Cutlip) we wouldn't even be discussing this right now. Just my opinion.

Great job on the radio. Will you be calling from Murfreesboro?

Skunk

Always there to humble me and put things in the proper perspective on the whole picture. Sometimes we (I) can only see the small picutre. You are the master.

While I do agree that everyone will not always be satisfied, one has to speak up when there are some glaring issues. In a year when everyone claims this conference is as deep/competitive as ever and has many great players...for a coach to guide his team through that unscathed and not be recognized for it is more than an oversight. And that is in no way taking from the accomplishements of any coach or player bewcause I believe this conference is blessed with both. And then some use the word "hate" in regard to man that doesn't do/say anything to cause anyone to hate him...it's not Bill Belicheck here. I stand by my statement...if you change the name from Morgan to Pitts (or even Cutlip) we wouldn't even be discussing this right now. Just my opinion.

Great job on the radio. Will you be calling from Murfreesboro?

maroonandrey,

I certainly wasn't trying to humble or even diminish your opinion...I used to get all riled up over these things, but have previously seen two glaring omissions that made me just realize the players have to know what they did on the court (or the field) and their teammates and opponents are also aware and that should be what they judge their effort by...I remember the 1988 Arby's Classic won by Coach Van Huss' Indians and Hunter Halliburton was left off the all-tournament team after having a dominating defensive and very effective offensive tournament...Coach Van Huss was livid and I had never heard him say a word before or after about such things...many people who saw the tournament thought he could and should be MVP...but the people who selected the team left him off...didn't bother him he completed a great season and helped Coach Van Huss make it to the state tournament for the last time...Hunter knows how he performed...

I don't disagree with your thoughts, they are yours and you are welcome to your opinions as are those who select the all-stars...I thought CMO did an outstanding job this year and last...as did Coach Dyer this year and Coach Witcher last year...but I wasn't asked...ha,ha...and we are all probably better off for it...

we have gotten into too much of the individual awards being equal to or of greater importance than the team awards...and as Coach Van Huss used to say, "if you are more worried about seeing your name in the paper than helping the team be better, then there are plenty of individual things that you can participate in at D-B...but basketball is a team game and it is about the collective group of players playing together for one goal"...guarantee Stokomo and many others have heard that, or something very close to that many times...

And CMO is certainly not a polarizing personality, but as is said "We are D-B" and that is not always well received...how many other schools in the conference have all their opponents have a specific cheerleader led cheer about them?...whether it is "put 'em in the teepee scalp um" or "burn um"...it is there because of respect and that has to be handled properly, as well...but I am getting off my soapbox and saying again congratulations to all the players and coaches and parents for sharing their children...high school sports are important, but not because of awards...

Thanks for the kind words...it is really fun to be back on the air and yes, I will be courtside from Murfreesboro...

Rool Tribe Roll

I don't have to know you because you made the statement right there in your previous post. I didn't call you a hater...you called you a hater. You said quote" everyone hated DB". If everyone hated DB and you are a someone then you would fall into the everyone as well. I just merely restated what you had written. I understand your point but I think hate is a VERY strong word for 15-17 year old kids playing a game. And as far as the other players hating DB, that is bogus. I was at several DB games where Science Hill players came and watched and sat on the DB side. And even saw Dionte Gray talking with Sylvester and gave his mom a hug. Really what the issue is "county/city" and it always will be. Well DB/Science Hill/THS should win because the schools are bigger, richer, etc. That is always the arguement and until the schools get out of that mind set this conference will always be top heavy. Dickie Warren and Bobby Snyder didn't let that prevent them from winning a ton of games in this conference as well as state tourney appearances.

I can't say that Dyer/Vaughn shouldn't have won because I respect them as men but sometimes you just gotta give it to who was the best for 19 games against this conference. If DB had lost a game or two then I would have no issues because I don't "hate" any of the other coaches. And yes you are correct that Charlie would much rather have a state title than a Big9 COY award...but why couldn't he get both? Why say "well his team got to go to Murfreesboro so everyone is happy"? Why not just give the man his due. Like I said, there is NO DOUBT that if Pitts had the same resume this season he would have won hands down. Why would the media hate Morgan? The man has never said/done anything to merit any negativity toward him or the program. Sad..actually pathetic.

Great post and I agree totally...in fact my son has more contact (via the internet and text message) with several players from DB, and Science Hill than he does with the players on his own team...that's a fact! He told me about a conversation that he had with a couple of players (one from DB and the other from SH) where they were poking fun at each other over which All Conference team they made. To be honest most of these kids take these things with a grain of sand. But it has to be more of a disappointment to Coach Morgan whether he says it or not, because these where HIS peers casting the votes. If anyone should know what a monumental accomplishment having an undefeated conference season is it should be them. Very few if any will ever duplicate it in their entire coaching career.

I agree. The media people that I know and speak with on a daily basis hold past grudges with DB before Coach Morgan's time and just won't get over it. I don't understand what their deal is but it's just how they feel and refuse to change their way of thinking. And yes it is very pathetic.

The problem is with the boys coaches in the Big 9. Their ego has gotten in the way of thinking clearly. Why did the girls coaches vote Kim Bright COY for the third straight year? You could make an agrument for Barnwell or France. They voted for Coach Bright because she won the conference. Now if the pre-season 9th place team would have finished 3rd or 4th, I bet the coaches would have given that coach the COY award. But that didn't happen.

East was picked 3rd by some and 4th by others. Where did they finish? 3rd. They did what they were suppose to have done.

Someone said East was the "feel good story" of the season and that they were "underdogs." I'm sorry but they were far from underdogs. Great guard play and a soild post player will win you games. East also had depth. David Crockett was the underdogs. I am and always will be a county guy, but you have to be realistic.

Coach Morgan does nothing but have success everywhere he goes. He maximizes potential better than anyone in the league. Put any coach in the conference at DB and I bet they are at home right now thinking about the baseball season instead of preparing for the state tournament. What is even more ashame is the fact he has never won the award outright.

It is sad that the Big 9 has not made it out of the pre-1970's mentality. If any coach in the league would have done what he did this year they would have won the award. Read between the lines.

DCHS,

very good post...but, I think Coach Morgan won the award outright last year and definately should have in '03-'04...

And I think Barnwell or France would have been outstanding choices on the girls side of things...but maybe Bright got it for doing what was expected, which many times is the most difficult aspect of a season...but, then wait a minute, that logic should then give CMO the award for winning the conference with undefeated on top of it...so...???...who knows...again, it has been a fun year for high school basketball...

Roll Tribe Roll