Claiborne County will get new coach next season? Who?

cgpf22

I'm an outsider but have been reading this thread for a while now (or at least the topic in a couple of threads). Does NO ONE teach there kids "what ever the situation, what ever the adversity, the last course to take is to quit and leave you're TEAM. Too much blame and especially too much credit is givin to the coach for the overall success or decline of a program especially at this age and level. What were the alledged reasons for the girls quitting? There was a local boys H-S team that lost 3 key players this past summer because the coach was conditioning them too hard. ???

My overall point is the only reason to discontinue your contribution to your team comes when your ability or love of the came has passed. A truely dedicated competitor and team mate would never consider it otherwise. And parents thats where your support comes in(yes we as parents have a job other than backing our little princesses in what ever they want) Lets make strong women out of them (they will always be daddies little girl). Finally hoorah to those that perservered and from what i've read improved against the current.

I don't know the exact details of why all the girls quit, but I do know that all were directly related to the coach. I do know in one case in particular, that the coach attacked to girl on a personal level and threatened her college career as a basketball player, because the comment was made directly to me. For a coach to attack a 15 year old child on the level that she did is absolutely uncalled for and should not take place, ever. This player that I am speaking of lives for the game of basketball and plays year round on one of the best AAU teams in the NATION, with real coaches that can communicate with their players. Her love for the game was almost driven out by Cook and I don't blame her for quitting. I would have done the same thing if my love for a sport was threatened by an adolescent minded coach that attacked me personally. So, don't blame the teenaged kids or their parents for the girls quitting, blame the coach that ran them off. I will be at the school board meeting tonight at Springdale Elementary and I sincerely hope that all the kids and parents that were involved in with this years team will attend and speak their minds regarding whether or not the coaches contract will be extended into next season.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the exact details of why all the girls quit, but I do know that all were directly related to the coach. I do know in one case in particular, that the coach attacked to girl on a personal level and threatened her college career as a basketball player, because the comment was made directly to me. For a coach to attack a 15 year old child on the level that she did is absolutely uncalled for and should not take place, ever. This player that I am speaking of lives for the game of basketball and plays year round on one of the best AAU teams in the NATION, with real coaches that can communicate with their players. Her love for the game was almost driven out by Cook and I don't blame her for quitting. I would have done the same thing if my love for a sport was threatened by an adolescent minded coach that attacked me personally. So, don't blame the teenaged kids or their parents for the girls quitting, blame the coach that ran them off. I will be at the school board meeting tonight at Springdale Elementary and I sincerely hope that all the kids and parents that were involved in with this years team will attend and speak their minds regarding whether or not the coaches contract will be extended into next season.

it's not cook's fault that taylor has ego problems. everyone that she's ever played for has let her do whatever she wanted to. cook brought discipline and teamwork, which were apparently too much for her to handle. and by the way, half the people posting on this have no clue what they're talking about. if you don't know, shut up.

it's not cook's fault that taylor has ego problems. everyone that she's ever played for has let her do whatever she wanted to. cook brought discipline and teamwork, which were apparently too much for her to handle. and by the way, half the people posting on this have no clue what they're talking about. if you don't know, shut up.

And you obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to Taylor Hall, so maybe you should "just shut up". She has never had any problems with any other coach she has ever played for. I am one of those coaches that she played for and no she didn't do whatever she wanted. She is one of the most coachable and unselfish players that I have ever coached. So, you are obviously one of those people who have no idea what you're talking about. Cook is a terrible coach and has no idea how to communicate with her players. Hopefully we won't be dealing with her at CHS next season and I have pretty good information that she will not be returning as coach. Thank God!!!!! I'm not really sure where you are getting your info about what went on with Hall, but you clearly have no idea. Maybe you're one of the players or a parent of one of the players that would have never seen varsity playing time if these girls hadn't quit. So of course you support Cook, but you are the minority because the majority of the community wants her gone.

[/quote

First,this is a ridiculous statement. If you had watched Claiborne play last season you would have understood the true meaning of discipline and teamwork. Ask any player or anyone who was at these games would tell you that the players on last years team were always disciplined and demonstrated teamwork. Teams don't have the success like they did without it. A year ago players, parents, and others did not interfere with the coaching staff or the program. Players simply played the game, parents supported the team and each others children, and shared a sense of pride about what had been achieved. This year this was lost. Many have Forgotten that the players who left the team/ those who remained on the team were friends as well as teammates before this year. Some had played together on teams in middle school and AAU for years. They spent nights at each others homes. CHS had the best student body in East Tennessee. My niece and nephews were not team members but loved to go to the games. And this season that to was gone. The student body has been placed in a unnecessary position of choosing sides. I wasn't alway a strong support the former coach all the time. But now that he's gone, I, like many including his players and others now realize his knowledge of the game. His teams were always prepared. Ask his players. Everyone just took winning for granted. I have no hostile feelingsagainst the newcoach. I do feel that she needs to step down for the betterment of the players and fans, and herself. If she stays,the next year will be a repeat of this season. The true losers will be the players and students whose high school memories will be affected throughout their lifetimes.

Don't forget that assistant Coach Harmon was also a big part of last year. Both of these coaches knew how to deal with the players on and off the court. They had the ability chew players out one night during a game and the next day be sitting, laughing, and joking at a restaurant the next day with the same players. The players understood.

fields and collett were horrible. that helped your case none. and whoever said harville's a good coach, look at all the talent he's and and still no sniff of a region title. with estes, odell, nickell, holt all over 6'3", he still couldn't get a region tournament win. cook did more with less this year than harville has in all 5 of his years there. and as for the other quitters, she was better off without them. they had terrible attitudes the whole time.

Let me first say that I have an idea of who you are,and that you should be ashamed of yourself for verbally attacking these players who have left the team for various reasons..Now ,let me say that Fields has been playing basketball since the fourth grade ,not to mention the years of AAU and junior pro ball,and has been asked to play for several surrounding school systems even before she started her freshman year at Claiborne.She had absolutely no problem playing for Parkey last year,and has never been questioned about her playing abilities.She is a dedicated player and would have never left a team.Since she has left Cooks team,she has been approached to play ball at 3 different schools.Cook has no idea how to coach..How many post players did she lose this year????How can anyone look at whats happened this year and say that there is not a problem!!!!The only players she had on the floor,excluding Nickell,were second string players and freshman,while all the starters and first string players were watching from the bleachers...Is there a problem here?????If she stays at Claiborne next year,I can guarentee Fields,Hall,and several other players will choose to attend other schools with good ball programs in place,and Claiborne will suffer another year of losses....Fields started almost every game for both Varsity and J.V. under Cook and left the team in January..There were many issues on why she left and it was a personal and very hard decision that surrounded Cooks inability as a coach and the inconsistencies she is so well known for...So ,Ill end with this,if you are a mother whos child got playing time because everyone else quit,then so be it...But stop blaming those of us who want Cook out..And,I too, will be at the school board meetings also..Hopefully ,we will get some resolve for next year.Stop slandering these girls..

Let me first say that I have an idea of who you are,and that you should be ashamed of yourself for verbally attacking these players who have left the team for various reasons..Now ,let me say that Fields has been playing basketball since the fourth grade ,not to mention the years of AAU and junior pro ball,and has been asked to play for several surrounding school systems even before she started her freshman year at Claiborne.She had absolutely no problem playing for Parkey last year,and has never been questioned about her playing abilities.She is a dedicated player and would have never left a team.Since she has left Cooks team,she has been approached to play ball at 3 different schools.Cook has no idea how to coach..How many post players did she lose this year????How can anyone look at whats happened this year and say that there is not a problem!!!!The only players she had on the floor,excluding Nickell,were second string players and freshman,while all the starters and first string players were watching from the bleachers...Is there a problem here?????If she stays at Claiborne next year,I can guarentee Fields,Hall,and several other players will choose to attend other schools with good ball programs in place,and Claiborne will suffer another year of losses....Fields started almost every game for both Varsity and J.V. under Cook and left the team in January..There were many issues on why she left and it was a personal and very hard decision that surrounded Cooks inability as a coach and the inconsistencies she is so well known for...So ,Ill end with this,if you are a mother whos child got playing time because everyone else quit,then so be it...But stop blaming those of us who want Cook out..And,I too, will be at the school board meetings also..Hopefully ,we will get some resolve for next year.Stop slandering these girls..

caitlyn quit cause she didn't get to start against union because cook clearly explained that she wanted a quick line-up and if anyone saw caitlyn play, they saw that she is far from quick. if 3 other schools are wanting her, fine she's useless. and yes, cook lost a ton of talent, but with the non-quitting, team players that didn't take the easy way out she matched parkey's results from last year with an excellent team. the only people mad at cook are the one's who's little girl had to follow some rules and didn't get her way. maybe you should take another look at the situation

caitlyn quit cause she didn't get to start against union because cook clearly explained that she wanted a quick line-up and if anyone saw caitlyn play, they saw that she is far from quick. if 3 other schools are wanting her, fine she's useless. and yes, cook lost a ton of talent, but with the non-quitting, team players that didn't take the easy way out she matched parkey's results from last year with an excellent team. the only people mad at cook are the one's who's little girl had to follow some rules and didn't get her way. maybe you should take another look at the situation

So let me get this straight Fields is to slow and Hall has ego problems Beth Turners not black enough to intimidate people and Rosenbalm is 6 foot tall and dont produce enough even though she averaged anywhere from 6to18 points a game.. And For Fields being what you call useless im pretty sure she is the only player that kept the JV team alive in most of those games plus she played great defense in Bristol from my point of view, you should watch ESPN and tell me what girls on the teams on there are 5 foot tall and wiegh a 100 pounds, Fields is a big girl but she can play ball and great defense.. Cook goes for girls with speed I understand that but I bet if u took the girls that are left on that team right now which aint much, and put them up against Middlesboro Example Brooklyn Jimison, and the other 6 foot big girls playin people like Snodgrass and Killion, you will see that theres no competition there not sayin there bad players but maybe quick, but not enough SIZE or DEFENSE... So before you go attackin a 16 year old girl about some coach's foolishness take a look at the real world of basketball, Fields is a good player she is a team player, Hall is a heck of a player and for you to go sayin that she's had coaches that have babied her unless you are one of those coaches which Im pretty sure your not seeing that you know very little about good coaches and basketball, you have no right to say anything about Fields or Hall they are just kids quit attacking them over, trying to get a new coach so they can have a good two more years of high school basketball cause thats all those girls want...

I'm tired of people speaking about something with no facts to back it up. "Coach Cook matched Parkey's results with an excellent team a year ago". Check the facts from Coacht.

Cook - losing record (over 20 losses 9 wins- school rec)Parkey - winning record 24 wins (school rec only 5 losses)

Cook - lost 9 straight games (school record) Parkey won 15 straight games

Cook - 5 - 5 district regular season record Parkey - 10 - 0 record

Cook - Finished runner-up in dstrict tournament at home Parkey-won District Championship on away court

Cook - finished next to last in Bristol tournament Parkey - reached semi-finals

Cook - finished last in First Priority tournament Parkey - finished first

Cook- lost regional game at home Parkey - won regional game at home

Cook season over Parkey - played in Regional champ game

Cook - season over Parkey upset South Greene in Regional tournament

Cook season over Parkey played Austin-East in Sub-State (who won state title)

Cook - District co-coach of the year Parkey win Coach of the Year again

Cook has 2 make all- district team (Not count hon. mentions) Parkey has 6 on all-district team (includes sub)

Cook has 0 players on all- region team Parkey had 3

Cook finished ranked 87th by Coacht out of 111 Parkey finished in top 10 again (9th)

Stop the comparisions with Cook to Parkey, Harville, and anyone else. Look at the facts. Does it appear to you that she matched Parkey? Are you trying to say that Cook is a much better coach and did a better job??????????????The difference like you said is that cook loses tons of talent, Parkey always developed tons of talent.

I'm tired of people speaking about something with no facts to back it up. "Coach Cook matched Parkey's results with an excellent team a year ago". Check the facts from Coacht.

Cook - losing record (over 20 losses 9 wins- school rec)Parkey - winning record 24 wins (school rec only 5 losses)

Cook - Finished runner-up in dstrict tournament at home Parkey-won District Championship on away court

Cook has 2 make all- district team (Not count hon. mentions) Parkey has 6 on all-district team (includes sub)

Cook finished ranked 87th by Coacht out of 111 Parkey finished in top 10 again (9th)

Stop the comparisions with Cook to Parkey, Harville, and anyone else. Look at the facts. Does it appear to you that she matched Parkey? Are you trying to say that Cook is a much better coach and did a better job??????????????The difference like you said is that cook loses tons of talent, Parkey always developed tons of talent.

Excellent fact finding. I couldn't agree with you more, trying to compare Cook to Parkey is absolutely rediculous. He has and still could out coach her hands down. For anyone to even suggest that she did more with less talent is crazy, it is her fault she didn't have talent, she ran all but one of her talented starters off. Nickell was the only one left that truly had the ability to be a solid starter. She has several girls that have a lot of potential to be good, but with her track record, that potential will never be developed. Like I've said many times before, if we are lucky and the board sees the errors of their ways, she will not return next year. Just keep rollin' with the facts hhs.

i apologize, i seemed to forget. i thought we only made it to regional tournament last year. but if you look at what cook has done with only 1 player returning with varsity experience, who quit 2 games in, you have to get off her back and give her a chance to develop her players. and to whoever made the fields situation about her being fat, that's not it. she quit because she didn't get to start. she got off the bench in the second quarter and said "f*** this" and went to the locker room. team player? not so much