Knoxville top 10 teams

BigG

The Knoxville News Sentinel is doing an article on the top 10 soccer teams from the Knoxville area in this Sundays newspaper. They called some area coaches and asked their opinions about the top teams and players, and are putting this list together.

I was curious to see an objective list of teams that you all thought would be the top 10 Knoxville teams regardless of classification. I had somewhat of a hard time filling out a complete top 10. Part of the reason was because I hadn't seen some teams play for this season (just going on last years team, and then who they graduated). I had some definite teams, and then some that I expected to do well, and then I had a few spots that I wasn't too sure of.

I'd love to see what your thoughts were, but I ask again that you try to be objective. I actually challenge you to keep "your" school off the list. I found making this list to be harder than I thought, especially with the results of some scrimmages and trying to keep in mind that they were just scrimmages, but it's hard to keep those from affecting your decision.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'll go first, gotta give us all something to argue about. I will admit I am going on some tradition and expectations as well as observations from having seen some of these teams this preseason, although you never know until the season starts for real. But here it goes.

1. Farragut

2. Bearden

3. CAK

4. Catholic

5. Knox West

6. Webb

7. Maryville

8. Oak Ridge

9. Seymour

10. Carter

I'll admit I haven't seen everyone play so I'm sure Sevier County will say they deserve, maybe Lenoir City, or Loudon. So don't think I'm trying to Hate, just mentioning the ones I think are up there right now.

1. Farragut

2. Bearden

3. West

4. Catholic

5. CAK

6. Maryville

7. Webb

8. Oak Ridge

9. Carter

10. Seymour

West is going to be the surprise team, they have alot of weapons. CAK lost its goalie, Catholic only lost two or three. Oak Ridge might struggle, they have lost a few top players. Webb is still a mystery, they too also have lost a few good players, but they might be able to keep it together.

Just my thoughts

1. Bearden

2. West

3. Catholic

4. CAK

5. Maryville

6. Oak Ridge

7. Webb

8. Lenior City

9. Carter

10. Seymour

I also think that West WILLLL surprise some people this year...Well...by now its not really a surprise..With Jack and Cody McCoy in the middle of your offense..any team is going to be deadly..And with Kat, Patrick Maloney, and Tanner backing them up on the wings..its going to be rough on most teams.

I also think Bearden will blow some teams out this year with Tommy and Sho up top

1.) West

2.) Farragut

3.) Bearden

4.) Maryville

5.) CAK

6.) Catholic

7.) Webb

8.) Oak Ridge

9.) Lenoir City

10.) Alcoa

Top five players to watch...I'm not sure if you were asking about this G, but, oh well, when have I ever kept my mouth shut?

1.) Cody McCoy (West)--Creative and unpredictable. He has an uncanny way of appearing to be complacent, and then punishing you in the blink of an eye. He has outstanding one vs. one ability. When he has the ball at his feet, everything looks smooth and effortless. No doubt...the top player in Knoxville.

2.) Ridge Carter (Maryville)--A true athlete...one of the toughest and most physical midfielders I have seen at the HS level. He is all but 5 ft. 6, yet he is lightning fast, and he defends relentlessly. He is an absolute warrior, and his versatility allows him to play every position on the field.

3.) Tom Webster (Bearden)--Goal hungry forward with great one vs. one ability. Despite the fact that he was an All-American last year, I do not think he is as talented as McCoy or Carter, but he will no doubt be a top player in the state again.

4.) Jake Holt (Farragut)--I have continued to praise this kid over and over again. I think he is way underrated because he lacks the speed and athletic ability of the top three players in this area, but he has an outstanding first touch, and he has an extremely high soccer I.Q. A potential All-State pick.

5.) Cat (West)--Absolutely raw...another pure athlete. He is lightning in a bottle at the outside mid position, and he can move faster with the ball than most can without it. He can come across as inconsistent at times though.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I just thought it would be fun to name some great players in this area as well as teams. Obviously, all of these players are going to be great this year; I would never post anything about a player that is lacking in skill. All of the fore mentioned players are going to have brilliant senior seasons.

I will take Baylor's midfielders over those of West. Zander Davis, Kelly Smith, Carter Paden, and Tanner Taylor will beat you will skill or bite. Should be a great game in a few weeks when these two teams meet.

Has any of those players decided what they are doing for college? Because I know two of Wests midfielders have signed to play Division 1 soccer.

PrepXtra Preview: Soccer

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Between the two of them, Farragut and Bearden have won six of the last seven Class AAA state soccer championships. Christian Academy of Knoxville, meanwhile, has won five consecutive Class A/AA championships. Will Knoxville dominate again in 2008?

Top 10 Teams

1 Farragut: Coach Wallie Culbreth has no superstars on the team, but that could turn out to be a good thing for the defending Class AAA state champions. The Admirals return six starters from last year's 19-3-4 team and are a strong, cohesive unit with plenty of depth and a winning aura about them. Their top ranking over Bearden is as close as the final score (5-4) of the 2007 state championship game.

2 Bearden: The Bulldogs don't always play the prettiest style of soccer you'll ever see, but coach Eric Turner always delivers results and will rely heavily on senior forwards and East Tennessee State signees Aaron Schoenfeld and Tom Webster. Bearden beat Farragut twice in 2007, including the Region 2-AAA championship game, and finished the year with a record of 26-3.

3 West: It's hard not to feel at least a little sorry for the Rebels. They'd rule the District 4-AAA roost if it weren't for Farragut and Bearden. If West makes it to the state tournament this year, it means either No. 1 Farragut or No. 2 Bearden did not. Eight starters return from last year, including ETSU signee Nathaniel McElroy and Memphis signee Cody McCoy.

4 Catholic: The Irish return nine starters from last year's 19-4-2 team, including five on defense, which should be the strength of this year's team, especially with Joey Derosa defending the goal. Catholic advanced to the quarterfinals of the Class A/AA state tournament last year but was eliminated on penalty kicks.

5 Oak Ridge: The Wildcats return nine starters from 2007. In past years Oak Ridge has tended to play more as a group of individuals instead of as a team. Look for that to change this year. Goalkeeping is a huge strength, with 6-foot-5 Ryan Wilson and 6-4 Joe Daniels-Mulholland expected to share time defending the net.

6 Maryville: Returning for the Rebels from last year's 11-7-1 team are senior midfielders Ridge Carter, Oscar Sanchez and Graham Gilley, senior forward David Large and junior defender Ryan Pugh.

7 CAK: The Warriors have won five consecutive Class A/AA state championships. Don't pencil them in for a sixth just yet. With five starters and just two seniors returning from last year's 18-4-3 team, it's a rebuilding year. Don't expect coach Tom Gerlach to shun the underdog role. Actually, it could work to his advantage.

8 Webb: The Spartans return four starters and have a lot of young players who are going to have to find roles as the season progresses. They have some guys with playing experience but not leadership experience. A leader must emerge for Webb, which was eliminated from the Division II state semifinals with a 1-0 loss in 2007 to end a 8-5-2 season.

9 Alcoa: Five starters return for the Tornadoes, which will focus much of their efforts on the defensive side and benefit from first-year starter Adrian Womac, a junior, as their goalkeeper. Alcoa beat Seymour in last year's District 3-A/AA championship match but lost 10 seniors from that team.

10 Seymour: The Eagles finished second last year in District 3-A/AA to Alcoa and return six starters to play for first-year coach Bobby Norwood. Defense is a strength and the offense is much improved from the last couple of years.

Watch Out For: Lenoir City, Karns, Sevier County.

Players To Watch

Here are 10 names you absolutely, positively, no-questions-asked ought to know.

1. Tom Webster, Bearden, senior: The ETSU signee was the 2007 Gatorade Player of the Year in Tennessee and NSCAA All-American. Last year he scored 18 goals and dished out 11 assists.

2. Mark Sherrod, Carter, junior: One of the state's best strikers, he scored 30 goals and had 11 assists as a sophomore for the Hornets.

3. Cody McCoy, West, senior: The Memphis signee missed seven games with a hip injury in 2007 but still scored 16 goals and had nine assists.

4. Aaron Schoenfeld. Bearden, senior: The forward and ETSU signee scored 16 goals, nine of those game-winning goals, and had 16 assists as a junior.

5. Alex Hutchins, Webb, junior: An attacking midfielder/forward, he has the ability to create shots and make them from 25 to 30 yards out by freezing goalkeepers. He's quite, unassuming, unselfish and confident.

6. Tyler Mottern, Farragut, senior: He plays both way for the Admirals as a defender and a forward. He's a big, physical player, a good field leader and can score goals off headers.

7. Ryan Wilson, Oak Ridge, junior: The goalkeeper gave up 19 goals and had 109 saves as a sophomore. At 6-foot-5, it's hard to sneak one past him.

8. Nathaniel McElroy, West, senior: The midfielder and ETSU signee had two goals and 10 assists as a junior. He's a very skillful, very quick player.

9. Joseph Muth, Farragut, senior: He's a formidable foe on defense. He earned all-district and all-region honors as a junior. It'll take a great offensive player to get past him.

10. Joey Derosa, Catholic, senior: The goalkeeper had 66 saves and gave up 12 goals as a junior for the Irish.

The Rest

These guys didn't crack the top-10 list, but they are some of the best players around. Commit their names to memory: Jake Holt (Farragut), Brian Beckham (Catholic), Sam Thompson (Alcoa), Joe-Daniels-Mulholland (Oak Ridge), Derrick Brotus (Alcoa), Andrew Moser (Farragut), Carolos Lopez (Seymour), Diego Del-Castillo (Oak Ridge), Taylor Grim (Oak Ridge), Grant Beeler (King's Academy), Sam Ndurumo (King's Academy), Enzo Urquilla (Lenoir City), Aaron Thomas (Lenoir City), Oscar Castro (Lenoir City), Doiron Cloners (Harriman), Will Watkins (McMinn Central), Paul Lee (Webb), Ridge Carter (Maryville), Steven Fox (Sevier County), Tanner Thompson (West).

- Brad Gaskins

So here it is boys

You beat me to it Ref, I was just about to post this. Looking at this list should reinforce how strong east tn soccer is right now. I think the list of top players is pretty impressive. I'd take a few of those guys on my team anyday. One thing I did notice surprising is not a single CAK player on the list. I think someone may be playing some mind games with us /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I saw your boys G, you still have more than a few studs. Good luck to everyone.