refs at the state tournament

americandream

i have been attending the state tournament for the last 20 years. i have never had any desire to post on this website but enjoy the fair conversation. as someone who has no association with either team and as a long time official. i feel that the gc and mc game was the worst i have ever seen at this level. to call two fouls in the first 13 seconds of a game when there was no clear cut reason to blow the whistle that early. it clearly took the spot light off the kids and put it in the refs hands. i do n0ot believe officials can affect an outcome but they can set a trend in a game that can mess with kids heads. an example of the crew not being consistant was the tackle at half court that forced the mc player back court that was a clear foul. just want to get other opinions but i do feel the best team on that day won.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very bad in the game tonight. Let the girls push each other around, then called picky stuff to make up for it. McMinn was on Marshall Co.'s girls' backs all night, and nothing was ever called. Be thankful that preacher ref hasn't reffed a game yet. By far the worst ref in high school basketball.

Very bad in the game tonight. Let the girls push each other around, then called picky stuff to make up for it. McMinn was on Marshall Co.'s girls' backs all night, and nothing was ever called. Be thankful that preacher ref hasn't reffed a game yet. By far the worst ref in high school basketball.

It wasn't just Marshall that got the raw end here. You have to be intellectually honest and say McMinn Central got shafted too...when they were called for hand checks but got their head knocked off at times with a no call. I'm not going to start this ref stuff. Believe me it would be easy but I was raised better than that. I wish Marshall good luck tomorrow.

It wasn't just Marshall that got the raw end here. You have to be intellectually honest and say McMinn Central got shafted too...when they were called for hand checks but got their head knocked off at times with a no call. I'm not going to start this ref stuff. Believe me it would be easy but I was raised better than that. I wish Marshall good luck tomorrow.

I meant bad both ways. The refs didn't cost McMinn the game though. They didn't shoot that well.

i have been attending the state tournament for the last 20 years. i have never had any desire to post on this website but enjoy the fair conversation. as someone who has no association with either team and as a long time official. i feel that the gc and mc game was the worst i have ever seen at this level. to call two fouls in the first 13 seconds of a game when there was no clear cut reason to blow the whistle that early. it clearly took the spot light off the kids and put it in the refs hands. i do n0ot believe officials can affect an outcome but they can set a trend in a game that can mess with kids heads. an example of the crew not being consistant was the tackle at half court that forced the mc player back court that was a clear foul. just want to get other opinions but i do feel the best team on that day won.

Yes, I definitely agree it messes with the kids heads and that is what can affect the playing of the game. Especially when one of the GC girl??™s comments after the game was ???that ref really didn??™t like me!??? and goes on to mention 2 rude & uncalled for comments he had for her out on the floor. How does a person play her best game when she knows that ref is already against her? It??™s sad especially when playing at this level. I really appreciate your comment, it means a lot especially coming from an official.

I'll admit, the refs didn't decide the outcome but they decided the margin of victory. The foul difference was 22 fouls against GC and 9 against Marshall Co. It was very inconsistent to be a state tournament game. I thought the best referees were supposed to be the ones to call the state tournaments. I hope that was their first and last chance to ever ref a game at the state tournament level and I really could care less to ever see them ref a GC game again. Like I said, they didn't decide the outcome but they definately decided the margin of victory.

americandream, it's good to actually see the side of a current or former ref. Do referees just watch the game and not actually see the fouls and just anticipate things to happen that don't happen or what? Some of those calls were blatant and some of them were not even close to fouls. I hope Ronnie Carter was in attendance to see what kind of refs he put on the floor for that game!

What about one ref calling a block and another a charge on the same play? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

That happened in the Crange game too, or is that the one your talking about? I hope it didn't happen twice. That was crazy.

That happened in the Crange game too, or is that the one your talking about? I hope it didn't happen twice. That was crazy.

I must have got my games mixed up. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I guess that happens when you see 18 in 3 days.

Man I'll tell you what the refs was freakin horrible the whole State Tournament...they should just hire some refs from another state and bring them down here if the Tennesseans can't get in done...by far the worst I've ever seen in a game much less a State Tournament.

Man I'll tell you what the refs was freakin horrible the whole State Tournament...they should just hire some refs from another state and bring them down here if the Tennesseans can't get in done...by far the worst I've ever seen in a game much less a State Tournament.

I agree. All of the little hand checks were called fouls, and all of the tackles were called jump balls.

I think everyone (no matter what team) had a problem with the ref's this year.