refs at the state tournament

americandream

The refs and only the refs are why Milan lost tonight! Milan was robbed tonight!

I don't want to take anything from a good Marshall Co. team but look at this stat: M. C. vs Gibson Marshall shot 29 foul shots to Gibson's 9, against Central, Marshall shot 26 vs Central's 3!! against Milan 12 vs 4. This is totally rediculous!! No way should there be that much difference in shots taken, as I know each team against Marshall drove the lane a lot but couldn't a call all night. A lot of threads from outside observers have noted this very thing on the officiating, not a bunch of "homers" calling foul.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to take anything from a good Marshall Co. team but look at this stat: M. C. vs Gibson Marshall shot 29 foul shots to Gibson's 9, against Central, Marshall shot 26 vs Central's 3!! against Milan 12 vs 4. This is totally rediculous!! No way should there be that much difference in shots taken, as I know each team against Marshall drove the lane a lot but couldn't a call all night. A lot of threads from outside observers have noted this very thing on the officiating, not a bunch of "homers" calling foul.

I agree with you Charger. As a former referee, and even a former supervisor of referees, McMinn Central got hosed when they played Marshall. And before anyone says I'm a Central fan, forget that absurd accusation. I was watching and supporting another team, but caught the Marshall/McMinn game. I couldn't believe the one-side calls against the Chargers. I hope your administation complains to the TSSAA and get a review of the game's officiating. The game's outcome won't change, but some officials may get banned or looked at for other things.

Why is everyone convinced Marshall Co. is a perimeter orienated team? They pound the ball down low for the most part. They do shoot a lot of threes, but they go down low, and more fouls are going to be called down low. Also in the first two games they played teams that liked to press. They would break the press which sometimes led to fouls on easy shots.

Why can't everyone on here just accept that last week Marshall Co. was the best team?

Why is everyone convinced Marshall Co. is a perimeter orienated team? They pound the ball down low for the most part. They do shoot a lot of threes, but they go down low, and more fouls are going to be called down low. Also in the first two games they played teams that liked to press. They would break the press which sometimes led to fouls on easy shots.

Why can't everyone on here just accept that last week Marshall Co. was the best team?

Nobody is disputing that Marshall is very good and quite possibly the best team. But i would have preferred seeing them earn it rather than handed to them by one-sided officiating.

Remember my background that I mentioned? Remember that I stated I wasn't a fan of McMin Central and therefore stated what I did without ANY bias? Trust me this game was probably one of the worst officiated games I've EVER seen. But it was all in favor of Marshall Co. on both ends of the court.

Central, as well as Marshall, is a balanced offense and has the size and talent to go low, or in the paint. So if the officials are calling it tight, then why didn't Central get the calls when they were being hacked????

Every post that I have read regarding the games that Marshall County played and won, refer to the referees and calls that were made. It seems funny that in all three games no one has mentioned the truly awesome defense that they played. Gibson County, McMinn Central and Milan all have great basketball teams but the style of play in Middle Tennessee is a lot different than West Tennesee. Having watched a lot of teams at the State, I would say that were bad calls on both sides of the court. To justify that teams lost because soley of bad calls is crazy. There were walks, missed layups, 5 second calls, shooting 0 for 9 from 3 point land and other things that contributed also. We could go on and on but please don't place all of the blame on the ref's - it is so silly to keep saying " We would have won if not for the ref's or if this game were played over again. Last year, I am sure that Marshall County wanted the Gold but they went home with the Silver and worked hard to get back to the State

To say that they were given the Gold is stupid. They are a good team, please don't forget that they won their Regular Season District, District Tournament, Region and Sub-State by 20 or more points, each game. People don't know of all the time spent practicing when they could have been out having fun, the sacrifices made by both the players and coaches and the dedication that this team has shown in representing Middle TN in the State. They are a terrific group of very talented and smart young women on and off the court. I have NEVER heard them brag or boast - they are some of the most humble young ladies that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and talking to. To say that they were handed 3 wins against 3 of the best teams in the state sounds like Denial - When 2 teams play, only one can win, and I do know that sometimes teams have to play against the other team and the ref's - good teams overcome that and play to win, they don't harp on the ref's or the way the game is called. I do know that in every situation "if only" is a big word . We can't change anything but look forward to next year. Refrees will always call the game the way that they see it and/or they way that they see fit, be it this years State, next years State or in the State 20 years from now. They will never call a game to suit everyone, it would be crazy if they did! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Every post that I have read regarding the games that Marshall County played and won, refer to the referees and calls that were made. It seems funny that in all three games no one has mentioned the truly awesome defense that they played. Gibson County, McMinn Central and Milan all have great basketball teams but the style of play in Middle Tennessee is a lot different than West Tennesee. Having watched a lot of teams at the State, I would say that were bad calls on both sides of the court. To justify that teams lost because soley of bad calls is crazy. There were walks, missed layups, 5 second calls, shooting 0 for 9 from 3 point land and other things that contributed also. We could go on and on but please don't place all of the blame on the ref's - it is so silly to keep saying " We would have won if not for the ref's or if this game were played over again. Last year, I am sure that Marshall County wanted the Gold but they went home with the Silver and worked hard to get back to the State

To say that they were given the Gold is stupid. They are a good team, please don't forget that they won their Regular Season District, District Tournament, Region and Sub-State by 20 or more points, each game. People don't know of all the time spent practicing when they could have been out having fun, the sacrifices made by both the players and coaches and the dedication that this team has shown in representing Middle TN in the State. They are a terrific group of very talented and smart young women on and off the court. I have NEVER heard them brag or boast - they are some of the most humble young ladies that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and talking to. To say that they were handed 3 wins against 3 of the best teams in the state sounds like Denial - When 2 teams play, only one can win, and I do know that sometimes teams have to play against the other team and the ref's - good teams overcome that and play to win, they don't harp on the ref's or the way the game is called. I do know that in every situation "if only" is a big word . We can't change anything but look forward to next year. Refrees will always call the game the way that they see it and/or they way that they see fit, be it this years State, next years State or in the State 20 years from now. They will never call a game to suit everyone, it would be crazy if they did! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I think the point your missing is that Marshall's girls didn't deserve a State Championship because of all the attributes you mentioned. Do you not think Central - as well as many other teams - have the same hard working players who are model citizens and excel in the classroom? And as admirable as that is, it has nothing at all to do with winning a game officiated as bad as their game was - at least with Central.

Sure, there are always missed calls....both good and bad for each team. But at this level, officiating needs to be conistent on BOTH ends of the florr for BOTH teams. And as talented and well-coached as both teams are at this level, the number of fouls called are relatively close. Marshall shot 26 freethrows to Central's 3. Enough said!

Marshall County shot 26 free throws but they didn't hit 26 free throws and they scored more than 26 points. Central's Defense was no match for Marshall County's Defense and Central's Defense had no answer to Marshall's inside game. We could debate this until doom's day and everyone has his or her own opinion but the fact remains: Game Over - Marshall County has the Gold Ball. I am curious though: The Austin-East /McMinn Central game was a brawl and a knock out drag down at best, but I haven't seen one post about it - I saw more hits, kicks ,knocks and pushing that I ever have in a basketball game but strangely no one has said a word about it.

In conclusion, Congratulations to all teams who made it to the State - 8 teams will make it back to the state, all I can say is work hard and keep your eyes on the prize.

This is getting kinds funny. We have complained about the refs all year. Now we win the state title and people want to say the refs gave it to us. The refs were really bad in all the games. The numbers are off, but I bet Marshall Co. shot bout 6 or 7 free throws late against Central. That still doesn't make the numbers look any better. The quick fouls on the big girl from Gibson were bad. Central doesn't have chance late if the ref doesn't make a terrible call on McClean when she had a clean steal and was on her way to an easy lay-up. I still think Marshall Co. plays good, solid defense and people just think they should have fouled a lot. Last thing, Marshall Co. had plenty of girls get shoved out of bounds down low, and no foul was called.

Marshall County shot 26 free throws but they didn't hit 26 free throws and they scored more than 26 points. Central's Defense was no match for Marshall County's Defense and Central's Defense had no answer to Marshall's inside game. We could debate this until doom's day and everyone has his or her own opinion but the fact remains: Game Over - Marshall County has the Gold Ball. I am curious though: The Austin-East /McMinn Central game was a brawl and a knock out drag down at best, but I haven't seen one post about it - I saw more hits, kicks ,knocks and pushing that I ever have in a basketball game but strangely no one has said a word about it.

In conclusion, Congratulations to all teams who made it to the State - 8 teams will make it back to the state, all I can say is work hard and keep your eyes on the prize.

Sorry, but you're not getting off that easy.

First, let's look at the Central/Austin-East game. The freethrows shot for each team was a difference of 5. Remember what I said about the fouls being close in most games? So why would anyone complain, if the officiating was consistent?

Now that I've schooled you on a game which had no bearing on your team's game with Central, let's look at the official stats for the Marshall Co. / McMinn Central game:

McMinn Central had 6 more field goals than Marshall Co.

McMinn Central outrebounded Marshall Co.

McMinn Central had 8 less turnovers than Marshall Co. (Central's defense was "no match" you say?)

----- but -----

Marshall Co had 26 tries at the charity stripe to McMinn Central's 3.

Marshall County only won by 2 points.

Maybe you think you're dealing with a novice in me, but you'd be badly mistaken to think that. I'm in my late 50's and have seen more games than you'll ever see. I've been a referee and have been a Supervisor of referees......stepping aside and retiring from it recently after 37 years. I can assure you that this game was officiated as poorly as any I've ever witnessed. I was embarrassed to see such an obvious "agenda" by the officials.

Yes, Marshall County has the Gold Ball and the outcome of the game won't change. But I'd bet my last dime you've not heard the end of this. Perhaps your comment "keeping the eyes on the prize" has a true meaning for Marshall Co. and the officials?

Just in case Marshall County makes it back to the State next year, just remember that McMinn Central team will be there waiting on you - with ALL of their players returning. I'm sure they'll not have forgotten how you won the game. And I know you won't get your same officials again.

I find it hard to believe you were once a official or a supervisor because one of the first things you learn is not to publically talk about officials even if they did a bad job. If you were a supervisor I am glad you weren't mine if this is the way you treated the guys and gals that worked for you. As a supervisor you know that these guys or gals didn't work a Central game during the year so where would their "agenda" come from? I am sure Gene Menees was there and would like to hear from you since you were a former supervisor.

It is VERY true that refs do not actually PLAY in games, BUT they can have a tremendous impact on the momentum of the game going to one team or another. For example, the 2 Pate fouls within 15 seconds of the game opening totally gave Marshall Co. the momentum to take that game and run. I in no way would ever take away from them as they played one HECK of a game, almost shooting 80%--- amazing, but true--- to our 20% or a little over that. The stats were horrendously one sided but how could they not be? Our girls were intimidated from the start-- blame it on youth, refs, the atmosphere, whatever you choose, but that's just that. The refs do need to realize that they are there to keep control in the game and that the players, NOT the people in stripes, are supposed to be the center of attention!!!!!!! However, GC should have been used to this terrible calling against them since we have gotten the bottem half of things all season, but NEVER has it been that bad, not even on a horrible night. The best teams make it that far, why not the best refs????? Not sure the word best and referee belong in the same sentence together, actually. Like I said, in our game, taking NOTHING away from Marshall Co., the refs were def. exceptionally bad, as I am sure they were in the rest of the games as well. It's pretty ridiculous that people fork out that kind of money to for that bull crap to go on. I know a couple who go to the state tournament every year whether their favored team is playing or not and stay for the whole 5-6 days of it and NEVER have they been more disappointed in the officiating that it influenced their opinion of going each year and made them question putting that much money into something that ridiculous.