A Simple Plan

CoachT

EGO... I still don't have a clue about what question wasn't answered? I don't read every word in every post, so forgive me if I haven't answered your questions. As I have stated, football is my passion, that is why I spend so much time on this website. My problems aren't unique, but they are a part of being a high school coach. My feelings about public/private issues dates back to the years when I didn't coach against private schools! It is not personal for me... I just think the current system is going to change! We can either be a part of the change, or watch it happen from the sidelines. I would rather be a positive part of the change if I can!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was refering to things such as title IX and Affirmative Action. Those are just two of the many questions I remember off hand.

"Because I did not receive and answer about some of the questions I asked you, I will not ask you any more questions on this thread. I take it you choose not to care, which is perfectly fine, but I wish we could have established that on the front end."

I posted that, and I'm sticking by it...I was honestly trying to understand why ELA thinks there should be a multiplier, to put numbers on schools is just like Title IX or Affirmative action, we are putting numbers on a large group of people, to please a few select individuals or to try and give oppurtunity to those who feel they have been denied rights. But I am through asking him questions, I will email me him privately, and perhaps he will read all of that, instead of parts of it, and then making me go back and type it over again.

I have no problem with affirmative action or Title IX! I think we are seeing womens sports explode across the nation because of Title IX funding!

I have always been in favor of a total split between public and private schools because of my background (Texas). It has always been split there, so for me, it is a natural. Having said that... Panfan and I came to an agreement about a year ago that the multiplier (used in several states) may be a better solution in Tennessee than a total split? The only reason I offer it as a possibility (something I didn't favor two years ago) is because of my discussions with private school supporters like Panfan who think it is an honest adjustment to make. You and Volunteer General seem to be the only private school supporters who don't like it and I'm sure there will be others who see your side of the argument.

I hope that clears up any questions I have failed to answer. As a moderator on the football board and girls basketball boards, I find myself scan reading more and more, looking for improper posts, not always reading for pleasure. I hope that clears that up for you.

It is my understanding that Girl's Vollyball is the fall equal to Men's football. Most people really don't understand TITLE IX. It has three main parts... equal pay for coaches of female sports, percentages for funding requirements, and equal access of allocations for the percentage of females attending the institutions. It applies more to college but can be examined at the high school level. Let me turn it around... I have allowed girls on my football teams in the past! I have no problem with TITLE IX.

I don't think the pay has to be equal, I have read numerous books on it...I think the pay has to be equitable.

I do not like Title IX because we replace sports that might be producing money with sports that don't and will not produce money.

ELA-What if your football team got put on the shelf because the percentage of men playing sports as opposed to women was so great, and they could not get a female turnout, there fore they got rid of the football team to compensate for that.

From the 1980's to well into the 1990's UCLA enjoyed the richest tradition of men's swimming winning I believe over 10 gold medals in that time...Today the pools are closed because of title ix, there is nothing fair about that.

So are you saying my question would or would not fall under Title IX? If volleyball is the girl`s equivalent of football, does that mean a school does not have to permit a girl to tryout for football? What if the schooldoes not have a football team, but does have a volleyball team? What I`m asking is there a condition under which a school could have all males on a female volleyball team?

[Edited by VolunteerGeneral on 7/19/02 12:02A]

haha, I humbly apologize for being a "jerk" but Title IX is very upsetting to someone like me...as I said before I am a minority, and I believe that the most qualified person should get the job.

If you do not think that they don't shut football programs, baseball programs, and wrestling programs down in order to make room for girls athletics, you are dreaming...I'm not going to say they do it in high school, cus I doubt that, but Brown, Yale, Dartmouth, UCLA, and many other schools have been forced to put 18-22 year olds on the streets because their scholarships are no longer valid...Only about 10% of Women's D1 schools make money, therefore the rest lose money...I am sorry but that is wrong.

TITLE IX has two parts, academic and athletic...I have no problem whatsoever with the academic part of it, I think it is wonderful and great...

In response to VG's question, I failed to completely understand the volleyball thing...but either way, you could certainly challenge it, but at the high school level you might have problems.