Shooting

warmachine7954

In the first day of the tournament it seems like some teams are having trouble finding the hoop.

UC shoots terrible

DC didn't seem to shoot well

Manassas put up 55 pts

Are kids that normally make shots missing bad?

What are peoples thoughts? I have always thought teams should get an chance to shoot in the gym before they play.

In the first day of the tournament it seems like some teams are having trouble finding the hoop.

UC shoots terrible

Manassas put up 55 pts

What are peoples thoughts? I have always thought teams should get an chance to shoot in the gym before they play.

shooting in a college arena is difficult the first time you do it after shooting in high school gyms all year the floor is bigger and the depth perception messes with your eyes at first. the teams practice at middle schools throughout rutherford county and not in the murphy center so that doesnt help also add in the fact that high schools dont normally play at 10:30 in the morning. add that all together what do you get? poor first round shooting performances

UC shoots terrible

Manassas put up 55 pts

Playing in a big facility sometimes effects players . The background is so different. The teams that play in a big gym or play in big tournaments with huge facilities have an edge. An hour or two shoot around really doesn't help that much.

Playing in a big facility sometimes effects players . The background is so different. The teams that play in a big gym or play in big tournaments with huge facilities have an edge. An hour or two shoot around really doesn't help that much.

Advantage White Station in AAA, They play in a 6,000 capacity arena....Older but very spacious baselines 70' from the walls. I had not thought about this during White Station runs the early part of this decade but along with great talent that would and is an advantage to them...

UC shoots terrible

Manassas put up 55 pts

Like others have already stated, shooting in an arena with its open background as opposed to shooting in a gymnasium with a wall close to the basket can cause normally good shooters to have a poorer shooting performance. This is because the depth perception is completely different. I do think that teams who have access and/or experience in arena settings at least have the advantage of knowing what to expect. Clarksville High had their pre-State practices at Austin Peay's Dave Aaron Arena and they shot the three ball pretty well in the first half. The poor shooting second half can be attributed mainly to Ridgeway's increase in defensive intensity than to playing in an arena.

I also think that if you have two teams playing in the State at the Murph where Team A got there with perimeter shooting and Team B got there with a strong inside game then Team B would have the decided advantage in an arena setting. I think Team B has the upper hand in being able to successfully execute their normal offense.

Everyone said it perfect...having that wall behind the glass is very different than those college gyms...that's why these teams have to have a descent inside game to play well. One of the things that made Liberty look so dominant the last two years is that they created turnovers and shot lay-ups the whole tourney. Sain, the Longs and crew shot elbow jumpers and layups all game. That gym is the reason why when everyone hypes up a player and team and when the rest of the fans see them they are dissappointed....it is a major difference