Siegel vs. Ridgeway

War Eagles

I was really impressed with the play of Hammond's, Tate, and Mitchell. I think Tate had some big 3's but he also took some ill advised shots. I agree, Ridgeway did not look like the normal Ridgeway team we usually see. I think Siegel has a shot. Siegel is peaking right now and with their sophmore talent playing as mature as they did last night, very impressive.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take Antioch in this game, but oh wait, Siuegel crushed them, so I guess i will say siegel by 3.

Antioch isn't my team, it was only a prediction. siegel won that game and congrats to them. I think Ridgeway will be much different as you will see this evening. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> I'm from the West, so naturally I'm going to pull for them. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Good luck to both teams this evening.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ridgeway, to me, looks as average as I have ever seen them. With that said, they turned up the pressure late and that got them the win.

The thing with Siegel though, is that they have proven to me that they can play any type of game. They have those two space eaters out there who can bang, and they have guys that break the pressure and look to score, where as, Clarksville had guys who broke the pressure to hurry-up and give the ball back to Tyrone.

Cutter, Gooch, and Hammonds play strong with the ball, so I don't know if the press will affect them the same way it did Clarksville.

If I'm Siegel, I play the same game defensively I played last night. Ridgeway looks like they can't shoot from the perimeter either.

I don't buy into the hype that much, but I think the Siegel Nation will have a huge factor in this game. I was actually kind of disappointed in their turnout yesterday. I can remember when they numbered in the 1,000 range a few years back. If they can pick their team up, they can win.

Looks can be deceiving, McNine, especially 1st-time looks....I've seen Ridgeway at least 7 or 8 times, this year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right about one thing--Ridgeway does NOT shoot well from the perimeter (Their big man, Sampson Carter, is their best peremiter shooter). That's been their achillies heel, all season long, for the most part. That's mostly why they tend to struggle vs a zone.

Ridgeway is actually is actually ABOVE average in 3 key categories, however.. Some of them are subtle, and easy to overlook. Others are not so subtle, and easy to spot--if you're observant enough. This is why it's very hard to gauge RW's true strength and force. It is absolutely NO fluke or coincendence that they've lost only 3 games, despite season-long poor perimeter shooting:

1) Rebounding--Above average....They almost always outrebound their opponent (I don't know how they did last night vs Clarksville, in that respect), especially offensive. They usually score more points in the paint than their opponent... Their 2nd-chance-points almost always makeup for their sub-par perimeter game. They usually limit the opponents 2nd-chance points and, as a result, their total number of shot-attempts. All this dictates that the opponent shoot a higher percentage in order to win.

2) Transition scoring -- Average.....Ridgeway prefers an open, quicker game. They're at their best when they can get out and run, score easy buckets... Interestingly, this is when their outside shots tend to start falling. It's as if their guys think too much about their shots, in a half-court set. Whereas, in a fast-paced game, they relax more and just play ball--just basic basketball instincts and a much better shooting rhythm.

3) Defense -- Above average......They can defend the paint. They can defend the perimeter. They create turnovers. Strait up man-to-man defense, always. This often creates easy bucket for them, offsetting their poor perimeter game. This tends to limit the opponents shot attempts.

4) Depth - Above average.....Ridgeway usually goes about 8 or 9 deep, 8 for sure. This enables RW to have lots of fresh legs, towards the end of ball games. They typically bring one or two 6'- 8" guys off the bench, who rebound very well. They also, bring a couple of 6-3, 6-4 guys in who can score, defend and rebound.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ridgeway is by no means a dominant team (Memphis Hamilton was a DOMINANT team. White Station had two dominant teams, IMO); they are not "AVERAGE" either, far from it.

Now, will Siegal defeat Ridgeway?

Well---let me say this: If Siegal can control the tempo, shoot a high percentage and outrebound RW, then Siegal will likely win....As you can see, that's a tall order! Not impossible, but difficult. Anything short of that, in my view, then Siegal is likely to become another one of Ridgeway's victims that wonders WHERE/HOW they managed to lose.

I think Siegel would like to see this game in the 80's. They have been doing it all year and I don't think Ridgeway is more talented. Jason Jones is better than anyone Siegel has and Carter is tough, but after that, Siegel has the most talent.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Looks can be deceiving, McNine, especially 1st-time looks....I've seen Ridgeway at least 7 or 8 times, this year.

You're right about one thing--Ridgeway does NOT shoot well from the perimeter (Their big man, Sampson Carter, is their best peremiter shooter). That's been their achillies heel, all season long, for the most part. That's mostly why they tend to struggle vs a zone.

Ridgeway is actually is actually ABOVE average in 3 key categories, however.. Some of them are subtle, and easy to overlook. Others are not so subtle, and easy to spot--if you're observant enough. This is why it's very hard to gauge RW's true strength and force. It is absolutely NO fluke or coincendence that they've lost only 3 games, despite season-long poor perimeter shooting:

1) Rebounding--Above average....They almost always outrebound their opponent (I don't know how they did last night vs Clarksville, in that respect), especially offensive. They usually score more points in the paint than their opponent... Their 2nd-chance-points almost always makeup for their sub-par perimeter game. They usually limit the opponents 2nd-chance points and, as a result, their total number of shot-attempts. All this dictates that the opponent shoot a higher percentage in order to win.

2) Transition scoring -- Average.....Ridgeway prefers an open, quicker game. They're at their best when they can get out and run, score easy buckets... Interestingly, this is when their outside shots tend to start falling. It's as if their guys think too much about their shots, in a half-court set. Whereas, in a fast-paced game, they relax more and just play ball--just basic basketball instincts and a much better shooting rhythm.

3) Defense -- Above average......They can defend the paint. They can defend the perimeter. They create turnovers. Strait up man-to-man defense, always. This often creates easy bucket for them, offsetting their poor perimeter game. This tends to limit the opponents shot attempts.

4) Depth - Above average.....Ridgeway usually goes about 8 or 9 deep, 8 for sure. This enables RW to have lots of fresh legs, towards the end of ball games. They typically bring one or two 6'- 8" guys off the bench, who rebound very well. They also, bring a couple of 6-3, 6-4 guys in who can score, defend and rebound.

Ridgeway is by no means a dominant team (Memphis Hamilton was a DOMINANT team. White Station had two dominant teams, IMO); they are not "AVERAGE" either, far from it.

Well---let me say this: If Siegal can control the tempo, shoot a high percentage and outrebound RW, then Siegal will likely win....As you can see, that's a tall order! Not impossible, but difficult. Anything short of that, in my view, then Siegal is likely to become another one of Ridgeway's victims that wonder WHERE/HOW they managed to lose.

Once again Trader I have to agree, and thanks for saving me some time because now I don't have to type all of that....Ridgeway in a classic

Well---let me say this: If Siegal can control the tempo, shoot a high percentage and outrebound RW, then Siegal will likely win....As you can see, that's a tall order! Not impossible, but difficult. Anything short of that, in my view, then Siegal is likely to become another one of Ridgeway's victims that wonders WHERE/HOW they managed to lose.

Good post, and you're exactly right on the ever-dangerous first time look at teams.

But, on first glance, you would think Siegel was a slow walking team, but when you look at the stats, they average scoring more than anybody in the field. They did what they had to do last night to frustrate Antioch and pin them in. And to be honest, they won without an explosive game from anyone. This wasn't a Tyler Cutter 26-30 point night, a Kerry Hammonds 20+, or a Montori Hughes 17 & 24 board night (which I was on board saying had to happen...win some....lose some).

The thing I see is that Ridgeway is so similar to Antioch, its scary. They don't shoot the ball well at all and if the points aren't coming in waves from transition, they aren't scoring. And I don't see Cutter throwing the ball all over the court against the press. Siegel understands spacing, and that could serve them well tonight.

The thing that concerns me for Ridgeway in this game is how anemic their post players were against some not-so-good post players from Clarksville. They play like that against those bangers Siegel has and they could be in trouble. Hughes and Mitchell throw that 600lbs around down there and could push those leaner Ridgeway guys.

Siegel, athletically, is probably the most underrated team in the field. Hammonds, Hughes, Gooch, Cutter, and those guys can get after it. I really think, if they can shoot 45% from the floor and stay around 12-13 turnovers, that they can win this game.

Good post, and you're exactly right on the ever-dangerous first time look at teams.

But, on first glance, you would think Siegel was a slow walking team, but when you look at the stats, they average scoring more than anybody in the field. They did what they had to do last night to frustrate Antioch and pin them in. And to be honest, they won without an explosive game from anyone. This wasn't a Tyler Cutter 26-30 point night, a Kerry Hammonds 20+, or a Montori Hughes 17 & 24 board night (which I was on board saying had to happen...win some....lose some).

The thing I see is that Ridgeway is so similar to Antioch, its scary. They don't shoot the ball well at all and if the points aren't coming in waves from transition, they aren't scoring. And I don't see Cutter throwing the ball all over the court against the press. Siegel understands spacing, and that could serve them well tonight.

The thing that concerns me for Ridgeway in this game is how anemic their post players were against some not-so-good post players from Clarksville. They play like that against those bangers Siegel has and they could be in trouble. Hughes and Mitchell throw that 600lbs around down there and could push those leaner Ridgeway guys.

Siegel, athletically, is probably the most underrated team in the field. Hammonds, Hughes, Gooch, Cutter, and those guys can get after it. I really think, if they can shoot 45% from the floor and stay around 12-13 turnovers, that they can win this game.

Interesting points, McNine.

Sounds like the makings for another thrilling game! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

-----------------------------------------------

We shall see....

Good luck again tonight Stars, Once again go out there play good defense, force your tempo and you will be victorious. This may be chemistry wise one of the best teams in the field. Cutter only had 5 assists last night but he did a TON of setting up for baskets. I like Siegel being an underdog. They have been through districts and regions. They play there game and they are a very very tough team to beat. Just keep grinding and you guys can win this thing.

Ridgeway, to me, looks as average as I have ever seen them. With that said, they turned up the pressure late and that got them the win.

The thing with Siegel though, is that they have proven to me that they can play any type of game. They have those two space eaters out there who can bang, and they have guys that break the pressure and look to score, where as, Clarksville had guys who broke the pressure to hurry-up and give the ball back to Tyrone.

Cutter, Gooch, and Hammonds play strong with the ball, so I don't know if the press will affect them the same way it did Clarksville.

If I'm Siegel, I play the same game defensively I played last night. Ridgeway looks like they can't shoot from the perimeter either.

I don't buy into the hype that much, but I think the Siegel Nation will have a huge factor in this game. I was actually kind of disappointed in their turnout yesterday. I can remember when they numbered in the 1,000 range a few years back. If they can pick their team up, they can win.

Last night was the first time this year that I have watched Siegel play. I hope that they were not just hyped up last night because of the talk of Antioch beating them by 10-40 points. If they play with the intensity that they played with last night none of these teams can beat them. I must say that TC proved himself last night as a true point guard. He handled the ball well and distributed it like a pro. Kind of reminded me of Nash. I know your smiling Tyler if your reading this. The difference in the game last night was team work. I have never seen Ridgeway play up until last night. I was not impressed at all. Siegel needs to stay in the zone that they were in last night and add a full court press just to rattle them a little bit more. I'm taking Siegel by 10pts.

Antioch isn't my team, it was only a prediction. siegel won that game and congrats to them. I think Ridgeway will be much different as you will see this evening. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> I'm from the West, so naturally I'm going to pull for them. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> Good luck to both teams this evening.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Siegel at home wins the whole thing this year. JMHO. Better luck next year my friends from the west!