Knox Halls

coachtinsider

Granted it's early, but for the first practice of Spring, QB Zack Dowdy looked sharp! He just seemed to have a presence in the backfield and also look like he's made some progress in the weightroom. He has nice size. Tyler Turner will be challenged for the starting position IMO and as a result we have 2 very solid choice behind center. We'll need this, along with some sure handed WRs and a stellar defense to make a real run in the post-season.

I am a huge Wesley Kitts fan, but I happen to think the running game, as a whole will be even better than last year, despite Kitt's departure for college.

Kevin Waggoner should be a solid performer at TB and Sophomore James O'Laughlin has the potential to really shine. I think O'Laughlin will be the biggest surpirse on the team, if not the WR coming over from the basketball team. O'Laughlin may be the fastest kid on the team and he runs in that seemingly patented Red Devil style > tough. Add in Ryan Pixley, who when it comes to tough, has no peer on the team and the backfield appears to be deep.

The depth at RB is not the primary reason I say the running game will be improved; the number one reason is I believe we will have a great running game is a "potentially" phenominal offensive line.

Steven Hill has gotten huge in the off-season (in a good way).

Caleb Leonard is, well, Caleb Leonard (possibly the best overall football player in East Tennessee this fall)

Also, rising Junior, Zach Shaddix is huge. He must go 6'3" and 340+. It's not his size that's so impressive, but I've heard great things about his progress in the weightroom. Sure he could stand to lose about 40 pounds to be at a more ideal playing weight, however, he carries his big body around well. I attribute this to the wightroom and his great attitude.

Provided we have a solid performer at Center, this line should be good for a 3-4 yard push on any given play, against anyone.

The kicking game will be solid with Jared Kahn.

Now it's time for us parents and boosters to get behind 'em early.

Tyler Turner will hardly be challenged at the Quarterback position. Turner is a much better athlete than Dowdy: He's faster, has a better arm, and he has experience. How can you base how good Dowdy is off of just 2 practices anyway? You won't know how good he is until he's in an actual game. i mean you may have said that he looked good in practice, but practice and an actual game are completely different situations. In games you actually have these people called defenders guarding your receivers, where as in practice their running routes wide open.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Turner will hardly be challenged at the Quarterback position. Turner is a much better athlete than Dowdy: He's faster, has a better arm, and he has experience. How can you base how good Dowdy is off of just 2 practices anyway? You won't know how good he is until he's in an actual game. i mean you may have said that he looked good in practice, but practice and an actual game are completely different situations. In games you actually have these people called defenders guarding your receivers, where as in practice their running routes wide open.

I think you're overreacting. Saying something complimentary about one player does not mean I'm implying anything negative about another.

It's Turner's job to lose, but Dowdy looks good.

I think we have two very capable starters, which championship caliber teams NEED.

I know my football. If you want to question my judgement, that's your perogative. It doesn't change my opinion.

Dowdy looks very poised and confident behind center. His feet are moving well on 3 and 5 step drops and he is throwing the ball accuaretely with some zip.

I saw him step in against "live" defenders last year AT MARYVILLE and he handled himself very capably there. He appears to be even bigger, stronger, and faster than last Fall...

This is a good thing.

IMO, competition for every position is healthy for a team and I believe I share this opinion with the coaching staff.

I'm glad we have both of these young QBs on this team, along with a great deal of other young men.

- sixsons -

- I agree, Dowdy looks bigger (20 - 25 lbs)and stronger than last year. I think saying that in no way takes away from Turner. From what I here, he is bigger and stronger this year also. I enjoy reading your commens and updates.

- What should we expect to see in the scrimmage on Friday with DB?? Who do we have missing?? Here is what I see missing:

Offense:

QB - Turner/Snoderly (Turner starter)

RB - McGill/Gibson/O'Laughlin/Hillard (One of these may be the starter)

FB - Burton - (probable starter)

WR - Gresham/Bright/Bridges (one may be starter)

OL - Bolden - looks to play more on defense this year

Defense:

DB's - returning starters - Gresham-CB/McGill-SS/Turner-FS

Other DB's - Bright/Bridges/O'Laoughlin/Gibson

LB's - Fitzpatrick/Hillard

DL - Bolden/Burton

- With at least half our returning starters out, how do you think we will do Friday?

- sixsons -

- I agree, Dowdy looks bigger (20 - 25 lbs)and stronger than last year. I think saying that in no way takes away from Turner. From what I here, he is bigger and stronger this year also. I enjoy reading your commens and updates.

- What should we expect to see in the scrimmage on Friday with DB?? Who do we have missing?? Here is what I see missing:

Offense:

QB - Turner/Snoderly (Turner starter)

RB - McGill/Gibson/O'Laughlin/Hillard (One of these may be the starter)

FB - Burton - (probable starter)

WR - Gresham/Bright/Bridges (one may be starter)

OL - Bolden - looks to play more on defense this year

Defense:

DB's - returning starters - Gresham-CB/McGill-SS/Turner-FS

Other DB's - Bright/Bridges/O'Laoughlin/Gibson

LB's - Fitzpatrick/Hillard

DL - Bolden/Burton

- With at least half our returning starters out, how do you think we will do Friday?

Thank you Ironman.

We won't be the same team against DB as we would be with the guys who aren't back yet.

That said, in talking with others who have been around Red Devil Football a lot longer than I have, it seems that depth is a strength for this team. Given that the teams we scrimmage against are likely also missing some players to other sports, I'm sure we'll hold our own just fine in the scrimmage.

To be sure, I don't want anyone thinking I have anything against Turner. I'm glad he's a Red Devil. He's very athletic and adds another dimension to the QB position with his speed.

I'm very interested in how the "2s" do as depth is what has made Maryville such a power. Everyone likes to talk about the starters, but depth wins games in the 4th quarter when starters wear down.

It should be a great season this Fall.

I will no longer be posting on here under sixsons.

I do plan to continue to read the board as, for the most part, I find the information interesting and insightful. I may log on again in the future, under a more anonymous name, but only with the intention of continuing to provide useful information for fans of Halls High School Football. If I do, I will continue to keep my comments positive and optimistic. My late father once said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The problem with internet message boards (and I have a great deal of experience on other boards) is a lot of people use their anonimity to speak self-servingly, take things out of context for the sake of argument, and sometimes go so far as to say things they are unwilling to tell you to your face. I am NOT a coach, just a caring and involved parent. As a parent, I don't want my comments to be misconstrued and/or potentially have ANY negative impact on ANY player. I care about all the young men on the team and wish them all well.

I'm not calling any individual out by saying this but, from the actions of posters I've seen on here thus far, providing a list of likely starters is beyond the appropriate scope of ANY parent; whether or not they have a son who is among them. IMO, that potentially wreaks of self-interest. This is just something best left to the coaches (to be announced on game day) or perhaps the speculation of non-parents who post on the board. On the other hand mentioning that an individual player has shown signs of improvement is fully within bounds, again provided he's not your own son. The problem here is comments like those can even be taken out of context. For the record, I have not (and will not) comment on my own son(s). I think we should all check our motives at the door before posting, in the interest of the kids.

Just as coaches should be held to a higher standard in regard to their use of the board, parents should be held to a higher standard.

IMO, again in my past experience with several other football programs (both high school and college), I suggest some standards for message board posting...

* Coaches should (and they do) read the board, but not post.

* Parents should (and they do) read and post, but offer opinion only when it takes their own son out of the conversation. If your kid is that good, trust me, others will have plenty of positives to say about him.

* All others should post, offer their opinion more liberally than parents, but never-the-less keep ther comments civil.

One last thing, before I check out into more relative anonimity; there are a lot of new players on Varsity due to the size of the "Rising Sophomore" class. The coaching staff has been gracious enough to give me an UP TO DATE ROSTER (as of Friday, May, 2nd). It includes all the projected players who will be coming over from Track, Soccer, Baseball, etc.. I have volunteered to make copies in time for this Friday's (9 May) scrimmage against Dobbins Bennett. I plan to bring about 50 copies to the scrimmage. If you see any mis-spellings, height/weight discrepancies, etc... please point them out to me right away when you pick up your copy of the roster and I will update a working copy to provide simplified feedback to the coaching staff. Not to lay any blame, but I noticed going into the season last Fall, a lot of the height/weight info was way off the mark on the web page and in programs. These coaches and other program volunteers have a lot to do (more than they have time for) and I know they appreciate whenever we get together (as parents) to help when we see a need. Great Football programs have great volunteers. Along these lines, I suggest we all see how we can be of more benefit to these coaches who sacrifice so much of their time and get paid so little to help our son's grow and develop into young men. There are plenty of opportunities to help and from what I've witnessed, plenty of talented people out there capable of helping out. If you want to plug in, I suggest getting involved with the Stadium Club. If you are not a parent, but still care about the Red Devils, the Stadium Club will still be providing information on how you can help.

Meet you on the High Ground...

Sixsons I hope you'd reconsider. Your insight has been very good. We should have a person of your caliber on this board don't let anyone run you off. Opinions are opinions and you have some great info. I do know and I don't see anything wrong with coaches becoming involved on these threads.

I think Halls is stronger as a unit this year. But some key elements from last year squad will be missed more than people realise and as Coach J said in Channel 8's Halls preview untill you strap them up and kick off on friday night we really won't know who will step up. I just know each player will give 110% because it always comes down to pride and Halls has plenty of that.

Well sixsons, you have provided some very useful information to us red devil fans. Sophomore is the correct spelling for a 10 grader.

And I think coaches at most schools in Knoxville read and post on CoachT.

If we are correcting grammar and spelling, that would be a 10th grader not a 10 grader.

Sixsons I hope you'd reconsider. Your insight has been very good. We should have a person of your caliber on this board don't let anyone run you off. Opinions are opinions and you have some great info. I do know and I don't see anything wrong with coaches becoming involved on these threads.

I think Halls is stronger as a unit this year. But some key elements from last year squad will be missed more than people realise and as Coach J said in Channel 8's Halls preview untill you strap them up and kick off on friday night we really won't know who will step up. I just know each player will give 110% because it always comes down to pride and Halls has plenty of that.

No one is running me off, just being more discreet per my son's request.

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I appreciate all your comments.

Sixsons, I have to agree with ZCAR. The insight to the program is very interesting to say the least. You also bring along an attitude and work effort of trying to make our program better. I wish we had more people to step up and be involved in our program like you demostrate. Your attitude and commitment to the program are only paralled by a few. I wonder just how many BOOSTERS will be there tonight?????

You simply posted your opinion. I do believe we live in a country that allows freedom of speech. As my Great Grandmother said "everyone is entitled to there opinion".

One last point T is the the returning starting QB it is his to lose or keep. No message posting is going to give someone a position on the field. I would have to believe that the coaches are capable of making the final call.

Lets urge this group of men to be unselfish and play for theTEAM not an Individual.

sixsons- Don't worry about anyone. I've been reading this boards for about 2 years, roughly, and you're of about 8 guys that've known what they were talking about. So many jokers get on here, get excited because they're anonymous, and go to down on their "favorites". Quite frankly, they're full of crap

As far as practice goes, I'm yet to see one, though I've heard cylinders are Clicking! Dowdy is OBVIOUSLY looking strong. Wide Receiver Zach Zabowski (basketball player) is, from what I've heard, shocking everyone with his talent. Also, Shaddix (big guy from the 2010 class) is allegedly breaking skulls. And last but not least- I don't know the kids first name, but there has been a TON of buzz about RB Kevin Waggoner getting popped yesterday by a Freshman (upcoming sophomore) LB with the last name "Woods". I've heard he's the son of the new freshman coach, Coach Woods.

Well, there's my 2 cents.