Results of the Giles County Lifting Competition

norespect

I have to agree with you. All lineman squatting over 600? Just got back a couple of weeks ago from Chapel Hill N.C. We got to tour the football facilities and went into the weight room and there was a board up with record lifts from each position over the years and don't think the lineman records were much more than what was posted on here. The bench press figures maybe correct, but I am like you, I would like to see what they call a "squat".

Yeah I don't know if you can really cheat on bench too much but I doubt they were going down far enough on squat. There are a ton of college teams whose linemen don't all squat 6oo lbs, so obviously it is suspicious when some high school kids are all doing it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with you. All lineman squatting over 600? Just got back a couple of weeks ago from Chapel Hill N.C. We got to tour the football facilities and went into the weight room and there was a board up with record lifts from each position over the years and don't think the lineman records were much more than what was posted on here. The bench press figures maybe correct, but I am like you, I would like to see what they call a "squat".

The strength coach played at Vandy...got his degree there. Guess you just have to see it for yourselves. We were strong enough last year to go 15-0 and win a state championship. Come on down.

I second that one, I would to actually see them do these lifts. I've seen what some high school players consider a "correct" lift.

Come on down

The strength coach played at Vandy...got his degree there. Guess you just have to see it for yourselves. We were strong enough last year to go 15-0 and win a state championship. Come on down.Come on down

Old Pirate says Zone, looks as if some are non believers. OP knows North Jackson boasts about their weight program and a couple came and worked out @ So.Pitts and couldn't come close to their reported max.

OP knows coach Hale and is confident he'll make them do things correct.

It is hard for some to accept how hard others are working towards making their dream become a reality.

OP has heard the rumors that this team wants to be the first to repeat @ SP. Good Luck to the team, focus on that goal and don't let anyone take your dream away!

Ok here are a few I wrote down

name bench squat clean

D Jones 405 670 265

W Maynor 325 595 215

K Jones 285 645 235

M Mitchell 330 530 205 (170 lb RB)

K Bibbs 245 500 215 (155 ib RB)

C Robinson 305 595 225

M Wayne 365 570 215

T Skyles 295 420 215

T Barnes 305 425 225

C Wordlaw 300 405 185 (Freshman)

R Robinson 275 405 205 (Freshman)

Those are very impressive numbers. I would think your weight coach would be up for national coach of the year not to mention your team would win any powerlifting competition at any age level in the world. Just a pointer or two..........might want to check the depth on the squats..............really hard to believe a 595lb squater who benches 325 can only clean 215........................all those huge squat numbers and only 1 kid over 250 in the clean? HMMMMMM

me thinks your stories need a little more work.

Old Pirate says Zone, looks as if some are non believers. OP knows North Jackson boasts about their weight program and a couple came and worked out @ So.Pitts and couldn't come close to their reported max.

OP knows coach Hale and is confident he'll make them do things correct.

It is hard for some to accept how hard others are working towards making their dream become a reality.

OP has heard the rumors that this team wants to be the first to repeat @ SP. Good Luck to the team, focus on that goal and don't let anyone take your dream away!

Maybe if they saw the "POWER PITT" they would understand????

Those are very impressive numbers. I would think your weight coach would be up for national coach of the year not to mention your team would win any powerlifting competition at any age level in the world. Just a pointer or two..........might want to check the depth on the squats..............really hard to believe a 595lb squater who benches 325 can only clean 215........................all those huge squat numbers and only 1 kid over 250 in the clean? HMMMMMM

Ahhh....this is football training not power lifting...we are talking power cleans. Just in case you don't know cleans and power cleans are quite different. With a clean, you are using much more weight, hurling the weight up just high enough to catch it in a front squat and stand up with it. A power clean is where you go straight up with the weight, bending the knees only a little. There is not much correlation with the amount you can squat and the amount you can power clean or press...quite a few different muscles involved. Power cleans are better for explosiveness which is what you need for football. We don't worry about lifting competitions we would rather win state championships!

Ahhh....this is football training not power lifting...we are talking power cleans. Just in case you don't know cleans and power cleans are quite different. With a clean, you are using much more weight, hurling the weight up just high enough to catch it in a front squat and stand up with it. A power clean is where you go straight up with the weight, bending the knees only a little. There is not much correlation with the amount you can squat and the amount you can power clean or press...quite a few different muscles involved. Power cleans are better for explosiveness which is what you need for football. We don't worry about lifting competitions we would rather win state championships!

Still pretty low power clean numbers for all the other lifts to be so high.

Maybe if they saw the "POWER PITT" they would understand????

Pretty nice I guess. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Still pretty low power clean numbers for all the other lifts to be so high.

Not really for a power clean

Pretty nice I guess. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Pretty nice ??? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> How about some pics of yours to compare???

Not really for a power clean

Yeah, for all your other lifts to be so high the power clean should be higher, it's one of the most important lifts. (And yes, I am aware of what a POWER clean is as compared to a clean.)

Pretty nice ??? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> How about some pics of yours to compare???

Go see them for yourself:

Before Renovation

During and After Renovation

P.S. I wasn't saying your weightroom was bad, I was just talking about how random the post was.

High schoolers lifting that much weight does seem a little, uh, un-natural, doesn't it?

Yeah, for all your other lifts to be so high the power clean should be higher, it's one of the most important lifts. (And yes, I am aware of what a POWER clean is as compared to a clean.)

Well I agree that the power clean is important but I don't agree that it necessarily correlates with squat. I know they recently maxed on the presses and squats but after I thought about it the pc maxes may not be recent. Even if they are they are still in line IMO. The training routine and goals has a lot to do with it too. Again I'll say....power lifting is not our goal.

Go see them for yourself:

Before Renovation

During and After Renovation

P.S. I wasn't saying your weightroom was bad, I was just talking about how random the post was.

I'm not sure how you think the post was random. I'm sure everybody agrees that weight training is essential to football success. How hard kids train depends a lot on their motivation and the equipment/facilities they have. They can be motivated in many ways..... having a very nice, large, well equipped weight room certainly adds to the motivation and ability of kids to work out. There were doubts about the numbers.....the pictures show that we have the facilities that can accommodate and motivate our kids. I thought the post was right on target.

Just for comparison why don't you post the bench, squat, pc for Hendersonville's top ten lifters?

I saw your pics and your facilities are nice....but Hendersonville is a 5A school while SP is 1A. Our weight room is probably as nice as you will find at any public school..... and most privates.

High schoolers lifting that much weight does seem a little, uh, un-natural, doesn't it?

dadoffour......since you obviously know nothing about weight training this could only be an attempt to stir the pot...any school that is known to cheat should not be slinging arrows out of jealousy.

BTW my son is on the team so I have a pretty good idea of what is going on...it's called hard work.