CC vs Franklin Co

Crimson100

Out of respect for the kids, i think it is time to let this die for awhile. They are under enough pressure with out all this talk.

I agree??¦.I don??™t think these posts are really coming from parents of kids on the team, rather someone of a younger group or kids that did not make the team this year. Most of this group of parents has never had a problem speaking their mind.

The girls and coaches are frustrated. There is still a lot of softball left to play.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with dontusee91 and Louie. I didn't hear either of them say the coach wasn't an ok coach or person. Just that the head coach needs to be at the school. I agree just because you have a degree does not make you a better coach. But if you want to be a DDS you got to go to dental school.....

Well you all have your opinions and I have mine. Like it or not! Yes Terry Floyd is the head coach and Kenny Sadler is the assistant both who are not employed by Coffee County School System in any way except to coach. The special ed teacher is Amy Keele who teaches in the ninth grade wing at the high school. This was never intended to slam parents or volunter coaches. CC had the chance to hire the Shellybville head coach in softball when they hired Terry. She went on to coach at Oakland and do a great job. As for saying you don't care if they have a high school education or not thats pathetic! I think a high school head coach should at the least have a high shcool education and at this level a college education. In high school sports I want my child to be associated with a coach that is a good coach and an educated one. I realize that every situation is different and I know that some programs suffer from a teacher who would rather do anything than coach. That's tough to deal with, this is not a perfect world and was not the case with this hire. HOWEVER, in a high school setting not rec league or summer league I think the school should do everything in their power to hire quality teachers/coaches.

So you say softball has more wins than any other sport at CC well I still don't see a state championship for Floyd or Breeden. I think parents and volunteer coaches are invaluable, they make programs great. You need a set of standards when it comes to our kids. I know great coaches that got a degree in education just to coach. They could have been accountants, or lawyers or anything they chose and made a ton of money. But instead they get bashed on coacht, have late nights low pay just so they could coach. Then a guy with some knowlege of a sport no degree has to work his day job in around what should be a priority my kids season is a concern of mine.

Say what you guys want that is my opinion. I don't think having a degree makes you a good coach but I do feel you need standards. Other people have sacrificed, went to school to be in education to educate and teach and coach. If your in that enviornment I think you should walk the walk. Thats all. Did'nt mean to step on toes...

The good old boy system is alive and well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louie you seem to know alot about these coaches. Tell me how did they get their softball knowledge. Did they play ball in high school or college? I know not all non faculty coaches are regular joes. Coach Cardwell at Tullahoma did play college and professional baseball and does hold a teaching certificate even though he is a non faculty coach. These coaches you are speaking of must be pretty good if the administration has put them in that position. I just don't get it. Is there something else going on at coffee county that you are not saying because the program does not appear to be as strong as it once was.

hold on just one minute... first of all Terry Floyd is a GREAT coach, second of all Lady Raider softball is the winningest girls sport at Coffee County for the last decade or more. I don't care if the head coach doesn't even have a high school education as long as he is a good coach, is fair to the girls, tries to do everything exactly how it should be done and works his butt off for the team and Terry does all that and more, you can't win every game every year people need to lay off don't start any drama and by the end of this year Coffee County will be right where they should be.

I think anyone working with high school kids should have a high school diploma at a minimum. You are stretching it when you say a good eduation is not important, because that education will take a child further in life than any sport. Only a small number of high school athletes move on to the next level and as they go through the collegiate program that number decreases even more. Education is the most important thing in a child's life. You are using that very lightly in your post.

Also, please define what is fair to the girls?

I think anyone working with high school kids should have a high school diploma at a minimum. You are stretching it when you say a good eduation is not important, because that education will take a child further in life than any sport. Only a small number of high school athletes move on to the next level and as they go through the collegiate program that number decreases even more. Education is the most important thing in a child's life. You are using that very lightly in your post.

Also, please define what is fair to the girls?

i never said an education was not important they are STUDENT atheletes, but the point I was trying to make was that having a diploma does not make you a good coach and not having one does not make you a bad one

Louie, your claim in a nutshell is, if I may paraphrase, "anyone without a teaching certificate should not be coaching a school program." This is a ridiculous claim. With that kind of closed minded thought process, every person in that situation has been judged, in one broad stroke of a brush. The hours that it takes to compete especially at the level Coffee County has historically played are tremendous. Doing it as a non faculty member is even a bigger burden to your own personal schedule. You have to love it and there's no question that ALL non faculty coaches do! That is something that I cannot say about ALL "Faculty" coaches. Stating that you should have a college education to coach at high school is unfounded. A coaches job is to create a winning team. It should be a "BALANCED" effort consisting of most all life lesson teachings. Neither all faculty or all non faculty are fully qualifed to coach a team. Each should be judged on their own merit. Coaching is a team effort if you haven't noticed. The coaches responsibility is to coach the team to the best of his abilities. He or she does not have time to address every personal drama for each player or family. That is where the parents are "supposed" to do THEIR job. Things don't always go according to plan. The parent is supposed to guide their child through those rough times and keep their heads on straight. A coach can only do so much. Quite frankly, the majority of the problems are the parents, not the players. Without parental cooperation, the team will fail. It is of utmost importance that ALL parents act their age and keep their emotions in check and see to it that the team DOES NOT HAVE ANY DISTRACTIONS!!! Distractions are the biggest reasons for bringing a team down. "Loose Lips Sinks Ships" should be every parents motto.

Winning is a sacrifice. Time, money and effort are expensive. You get out of the game what you put into it. Most importantly, the feeder systems cannot be neglected and the time that this takes alone is more than most high school teacher/coaches will do.

In general, I believe a school system that is not closed minded and will entertain the idea of a non faculty coach and base their decision on an "INDIVIDUALS" qualifications, desires and morals a breath of fresh air. Just as in the game, not all players are athletes and neither are all coaching applicants coaches. It's becomes the job of the superintendant to fit the "BEST" person into that position with what he has and what he or she believes to be the ideal direction for the program. Filling that position with any piece of paper carrying teacher could be as disasterous as having some engineers I've known over the years to build a bridge!

Remember Galloping Gerdy?

ERA, you evidently did not read all of my second post. In a nutshell I said

"I don't think having a degree makes you a good coach but I do feel you need standards. Other people have sacrificed, went to school to be in education to educate and teach and coach. If your in that enviornment I think you should walk the walk. Thats all. Did'nt mean to step on toes.."

I totally agree a degree does not mean you can coach. However in an educational environment "High School Sports" I think the HEAD coach should have a degree and be at the school. If you are lucky to have an assistant that is great with no degree and not at the school fine. The are several non faculty coaches with degrees too. Sports are wonderful! I know several kids that have palyed high school ball and have gone on to college to get a degree so they could come back and coach. That's the message you want to send to the players get educated come back and be a great part of something fun and competitive..

ERA, you evidently did not read all of my second post. In a nutshell I said

"I don't think having a degree makes you a good coach but I do feel you need standards. Other people have sacrificed, went to school to be in education to educate and teach and coach. If your in that enviornment I think you should walk the walk. Thats all. Did'nt mean to step on toes.."

I totally agree a degree does not mean you can coach. However in an educational environment "High School Sports" I think the HEAD coach should have a degree and be at the school. If you are lucky to have an assistant that is great with no degree and not at the school fine. The are several non faculty coaches with degrees too. Sports are wonderful! I know several kids that have palyed high school ball and have gone on to college to get a degree so they could come back and coach. That's the message you want to send to the players get educated come back and be a great part of something fun and competitive..

You are not stepping on toes. It's called DEBATE! I don't get offended but you obviously have been offended by a non teacher coach that's causing you to blast them. Again, you didn't read all my post. You still claim it should be required to have a degree which I agree in some and maybe most cases that's a good thing but you can't wave your wand over ALL available positions as you seem to be trying to do. I've known MANY educated idiots that couldn't teach their way out of pre-school. Might I remind you that the teachers union protects idiots too. If you haven't been watching the news lately, seems that every teacher and coach arrested for violating kids are grads with the paper you insist they have.

It's funny that you bring this up since you seem to admire the position of teacher so much....just as I do. But, did you know that many of the reasons non faculty coaches are hired is because it takes someone, usually young and willing to coach. Now, given the ideal a teacher coach position becomes available, just where do you think they will find someone willing to take that position. The teachers union protects the undesirables and what you wind up with are little to no positions available for a young or new teacher to take over an athletic program. Non faculty have no protection and can be booted on a moments notice. They call that kind of hire "leveraged". He or she must produce results not just in wins but also in sticking to the schools standards. By this hypothesis alone, you go to the root of the problem and protest against the teachers union protection of non productive teachers. Maybe then, your school can hire a new young coach willing to sacrifice his every waking hour after school to produce the ideal coach you deserve. Think about it. If your school had a tremendous coach with an outstanding winning record that the town supported and he left, do you think just anyone would step into that situation working after school every day till 7 or 8pm just for the practices, gets buses lined up to go to away games and not return till 11pm on a school night??? Then, he or she goes home and works preparing tests, grades papers and has his next day curriculum to prepare at middle age to near retirement? Not to mention taking ALL your weekends going to tournaments travelling halfway across the state.

Yeah, ideals are just that....Ideals! Try to put yourself in the principals or superintendants position and fill that position in a city, much less a small town. Those kind of teacher coaches are falling out of the trees to take that position.....yeah right! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

The moral to this story: "If you have a great coach that's also a good teacher willing to put in the hours, you better take care of them!"

Okay, now lets here the rest of the story. Is Coach Floyd not playing your child enough or is not a starter or she is batting 2nd not 1st? Really what is the problem? Tell us what you are really upset about? We are talking about a coach with no kids involved spending countless hours teaching a sport (without a cert) to young ladies.

Didn't see all the problems as he (Coach Floyd) was working to help build the hitting center, etc.

The problem is he doesnt care who your daddy or moma is and plays the kids that he feels should play. You would like to see a coach that the system or a few people can controll to achieve his or her own agenda.

That's pathetic!

I don't think Louie is a current softball parent, but possibly a previous. Regardless, it sounds as though they may have some first hand knowledge of the program. Not everyone has a hidden agenda. Don't be so quick to judge.

As you said there is always more to the story and maybe Louie has alot to tell.

As far as the hitting center, I think Scotty Hansert was instrumental in getting that facility built along with many other community members. I don't think Coach Floyd did it alone.

I don't think Louie is a current softball parent, but possibly a previous. Regardless, it sounds as though they may have some first hand knowledge of the program. Not everyone has a hidden agenda. Don't be so quick to judge.

As far as the hitting center, I think Scotty Hansert was instrumental in getting that facility built along with many other community members. I don't think Coach Floyd did it alone.

The previous quote said Floyd helped build it never said he did it alone. Hansert was the leader and anyone would tell you that including Coach Floyd.

no one said he did it alone